Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Suspension Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:02 PM
NAmuscle
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I bought a Vette Brake Products Street and Strip suspension for my 68. This was 550 lb/inch front suspension coil springs and a stiff rear wheel spring. My 68 Convertible came with a factory weight of 3050 pounds according to the AIM. I reduced the car weight by another 150 pounds easy. The light weight of the car and the stiff springs is way too much for freeway driving. The ride is way too much harsh and causes a lot of body flexing. Unless you really plan on motorcross competition with your car, you should not go for these really stiff suspensions.
I'd like to keep this build a nice cruiser as I have an AC Shelby kit car waiting to be built right after.

In terms of Springs, I was quoted $300.00 to have my original 9 leaf rearched. Not even painted. I can get it way cheaper online but Ive read so many threads about which type to go with.

Taking into consideration that I want a smooth ride not stiff what would be a good suggestion? I've looked online and I have no idea which leaf spring is meant for my 77.

Best photos I have of the original (from what I know) leaf spring.

I'm also wanting a 2" drop on each side. Pretty much the only weight im losing is from going to an aluminum rad.

I've heard with a set of aftermarket front coils, cutting 1 coil will drop it roughly 1"-1 1/2" and with 8" long bolts for the leaf spring will solve my lowering dilemma.

Is this the correct way? Better than drop spindles?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:11 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by NAmuscle
I'd like to keep this build a nice cruiser as I have an AC Shelby kit car waiting to be built right after.

In terms of Springs, I was quoted $300.00 to have my original 9 leaf rearched. Not even painted. I can get it way cheaper online but Ive read so many threads about which type to go with.

Taking into consideration that I want a smooth ride not stiff what would be a good suggestion? I've looked online and I have no idea which leaf spring is meant for my 77.

I'm also wanting a 2" drop on each side. Pretty much the only weight im losing is from going to an aluminum rad.

I've heard with a set of aftermarket front coils, cutting 1 coil will drop it roughly 1"-1 1/2" and with 8" long bolts for the leaf spring will solve my lowering dilemma.

Let me repeat.....for ride quality, a composite rear spring CANNOT be beat!!

When I rebuilt the suspension on my wife's '79, back in the mid 90s, I called Vette Brakes & Products, and got their recommendation for the rear spring, as they're offered in several different spring rates. (they recommended a 330 lb/in spring) For the front, I used VB&P's 460 lb/in springs, with 1/2 coil removed.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:53 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by NAmuscle

Two comments about the rear spring.
(1) you might be able to get a nice used spring at a low price. For instance, maybe call J&D Corvette. They have mostly Cali salvage cars, so salt damage might not be a problem. Years ago, my car was a Guldstrand's and needed a new spring. He gave me a like new spring for free...it was a stock spring someone had replaced with a stiffer performance springs. Same with J&D, they might have some nice units left after a previous customer replaced their original factory spring.
(2) I too, really like the composite spring. Bought two of them from VBP (68 and 70). If you do, you'll be replacing a 41 pound spring with a 8 or 9 pound composite spring. I ordered both of my springs shortened on each side....VBP will do it at no cost. If you lower your car and or use extra wide tires, you need to have the spring shortened so it doesn't gouge into the tire sidewall. Also, the composite spring is sooo much easier to install/remove than the steel spring. With the composite spring, you need extra damping from the shock absorbers since the composite has no internal damping of its own.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:59 PM
4544speed
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the forum but wanted to share my 2 cents also. I have a 66 coupe. I agree with the others about the composite springs from VBandP . Great ride and the fact that they will shorten them helps when the car is lowered and will allow a little wider tire if desired. About 14 years ago I looked for dropped spindles but could not find any. I tried a set of small block coil springs cut for the front. Was not happy with them. Then I tried a set of BB springs cut down. Was not happy with them. I ordered a econo transverse leaf spring from VBandP. I had composite springs (front and rear) and the ability to lower both. It was a great ride and I still have both on the car with no trouble. As for the rebuild parts I find Rock Auto is about half the price of my local parts stores on suspension (ball joints etc.).

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Suspension Purchase