Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Suspension Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:52 PM
NAmuscle
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Suspension Purchase

I'm thinking of going with a Stage 4 Suspension Kit.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1979.html

Ive compared it to buying each part separately on Summit and seems its hundreds cheaper.

Ive looked elsewhere online for a good suspension kit, but cant find much.

Anyone have suggestions as to a better source for cheaper or better parts for around $800.00 to fit the budget?

Thanks,

Lucas
Old 02-19-2015, 07:05 PM
stingray_son
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NAmuscle
I'm thinking of going with a Stage 4 Suspension Kit.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1979.html

Ive compared it to buying each part separately on Summit and seems its hundreds cheaper.

Ive looked elsewhere online for a good suspension kit, but cant find much.

Anyone have suggestions as to a better source for cheaper or better parts for around $800.00 to fit the budget?

Thanks,

Lucas

This in the exact kit that I have been looking at too. Just waiting for my tax refund first.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:10 PM
NAmuscle
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by stingray_son
This in the exact kit that I have been looking at too. Just waiting for my tax refund first.
Yea its a pretty good deal. Can you tell what type of shock absorbers are in that kit?

I'd rather get Bilstein and a monoleaf but my budget has to fit a R&P conversion now too
Old 02-19-2015, 07:49 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Before you or anyone starts tossing frog pelts at parts ask yourself how you will use the car, in my case a street cruiser driven in a legal fashion, yeah, I know how lame, but honest, do you "need" that performance set up or just think it would be "cool" lots of others ways to spend money on things you do need,
The stock c3 had state of the art suspension in its day for most people its all they need....
Old 02-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You should take a look at your local parts store....for the most part they will have every thing and brand name parts.......
And without the Corvette tax

t
Old 02-19-2015, 08:06 PM
NAmuscle
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Before you or anyone starts tossing frog pelts at parts ask yourself how you will use the car, in my case a street cruiser driven in a legal fashion, yeah, I know how lame, but honest, do you "need" that performance set up or just think it would be "cool" lots of others ways to spend money on things you do need,
The stock c3 had state of the art suspension in its day for most people its all they need....
I totally agree that stock suspension is good enough for what I need. Unfortunately, all suspension parts that come in that kit need to be replaced on my current project. Sway bar is bent like crazy, absorbers look decades old, leaf spring needs a full rebuild, strut rods bent as well.

I'm dealing with a neglected family summer car thats been sitting for over 5 years. Body is off and chassis disassembled. Since I have to invest in new parts, why not pitch the extra for more performance based parts? It seemed like a no-brainer in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:07 PM
NAmuscle
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Ironcross
You should take a look at your local parts store....for the most part they will have every thing and brand name parts.......
And without the Corvette tax

t
You are right, I will defiantly check out some part stores around the city. But with online shopping being the big thing these days, I would be surprised if a local parts store in the middle of Canada can get a better deal.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I have to invest in new parts, why not pitch the extra for more performance based parts? It seemed like a no-brainer in my opinion.
Performance parts are usually more expensive than stock replacement parts. If stock is sufficient for your end use, you're better off saving the money and putting it toward other things you need.

Not trying to tell you which way to go, just answering the question of "why not?"

Old 02-19-2015, 08:18 PM
NAmuscle
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kris Tunetso
Performance parts are usually more expensive than stock replacement parts. If stock is sufficient for your end use, you're better off saving the money and putting it toward other things you need.

Not trying to tell you which way to go, just answering the question of "why not?"

I've been looking (online) everywhere for parts from stock to high performance. I think 835.00 US/kit isn't far off from what stock replacements would cost.

Thank you everyone for your replies though, I am doing this rebuild by myself and need all the help I can get.

If anyone has a decent online supplier for stock corvette parts let me know, currently looking now to see what I can find.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

before spending any money try to find some one that has a composite rear spring. I went that way on my 76 330lbs with qa1Qa1 shocks. the rear strut rods I updated at that time to poly mount. What a difference in the car
This year I am changing out the front upper arms to tubular ones, 550 lbs front springs and the rear trailing arms to offset ones.
I don't need the offset arms at this time but at least they will be updated when and if I need them.
yeah it might be overkill for a street car but it will be fun.
I have a mild 350 putting out 426hp @6k and 442ft/lbs @4k very mild mannerd LOL
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

what he said,

So many times it's a buyers market for good condition used and pre owned never used parts for sale all over the net....but if a person want to save time looking and just spend...
I am super cheap I will spend hours online to save a buck or two. but then again I am buidling a 69 convertible bb car with vb suspension and lots of mods for less than 13K total so..
No, I didnt need the vb stuff at all, but it was on the donor chassis...
Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

what he said,

So many times it's a buyers market for good condition used and pre owned never used parts for sale all over the net....but if a person want to save time looking and just spend...
I am super cheap I will spend hours online to save a buck or two. but then again I am buidling a 69 convertible bb car with vb suspension and lots of mods for less than 13K total so..
No, I didnt need the vb stuff at all, but it was on the donor chassis...

very true statement take your time and search for deals they are out there
craigslist is a great resource too ive bought many used parts that are either new or slightly used for great savings
Old 02-19-2015, 10:30 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by jkippin

very true statement take your time and search for deals they are out there
craigslist is a great resource too ive bought many used parts that are either new or slightly used for great savings
I see CL as a big old dirt flea market but lots worse at a real flea market sellers and buyers are face to face but on CL the seller gets to hide behind their comp, as does the buyer, I have no issues with making pain in the butt lowball offers ( offers not insults ) you would be surprized how many times people jump on it, or tell me to FO then hit me weeks later and ask me if my offer is still good,

My L-88 hood was like that the seller wanted some huge price and I made my offer twice over about 6 weeks, he took it...

I scored that new in the box 1400.00 value 69 front clip for 400.00 took over a month but it's mine.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I totally agree that stock suspension is good enough for what I need...
...If stock is sufficient for your end use, you're better off saving the money and putting it toward other things you need...

No sense going aftermarket if rebuilt stock meets your needs.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:23 PM
NAmuscle
Heel & Toe

Great advice, I will put more time into my search and will try to find used parts. If anyone knows of anyone trying to sell the parts from that suspension kit (sway bars, absorbers, coils, leaf spring, strut rods etc.) Let me know
Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Great advice, I will put more time into my search and will try to find used parts. If anyone knows of anyone trying to sell the parts from that suspension kit (sway bars, absorbers, coils, leaf spring, strut rods etc.) Let me know
look in sale section here I just sold both a sway bar and adjustable rear struts at good prices....
Old 02-20-2015, 04:22 PM
NAmuscle
Heel & Toe

look in sale section here I just sold both a sway bar and adjustable rear struts at good prices....
Too bad i didn't start this thread earlier lol

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice on Suspension Purchase

Old 02-21-2015, 08:48 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Look in the C3 parts section for some F-41 sway bars (should run around $300 to buy/install ), if you have a Small Block I would run a 15/16" front bar with the rear bar. Since all BB Vettes had front/rear bars, I take it you have a small block. Then buy a set of Bilstein HD or Sport ( stiffer valving on the Sport shocks, think twice about this if you own a roadster .) Bolt on the sway bars and shocks, have fun driving. If you plan on autocrossing some F-41 springs will help, then a Borgeson steering box upgrade. My 72 LT-1 won a autocross title with F-41 hardware and good shocks on it ( 5 point racing harness, Kirkey road race seat and sticky tires made it run similar times to C5 Z06's. ) I don't like KYB shocks at all. You need to search the C3 tech/performance section of the Forum to get a better idea of where you want to go.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:35 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

From my personal experience, if you do nothing else, go with a composite rear spring. The improvement in ride quality is astounding!!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I bought a Vette Brake Products Street and Strip suspension for my 68. This was 550 lb/inch front suspension coil springs and a stiff rear wheel spring. My 68 Convertible came with a factory weight of 3050 pounds according to the AIM. I reduced the car weight by another 150 pounds easy. The light weight of the car and the stiff springs is way too much for freeway driving. The ride is way too much harsh and causes a lot of body flexing. Unless you really plan on motorcross competition with your car, you should not go for these really stiff suspensions.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Suspension Purchase