Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Mechanical Clock - Date code and refurb

Old 02-21-2015, 08:32 PM
macgyver1969
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Mechanical Clock - Date code and refurb

Hi all! As part of getting my radio refurbed (separate post coming on that soon), figured now was the time to get my clock fixed as well (didn't run, and face very faded compared to other gauges). After doing some research, looks like a lot of people recommend Clocks by Roger (Clock Works, too, but they don't replace/re-screen the face), and I had a couple quick questions:

1) There's an ink stamp of 6480 (or 6A80) on the back. From other threads, this doesn't seem to match up to any numbering/naming on date - but casing looks period correct. Any ideas what this code stands for?

2) I'm trying to keep car as original as possible - and looking like full refurb/silk screen will run me around $200. While I like idea of "original clock to car", if it's not original to car, and I just want date correct, seems like that'd run a lot less to go that route. I'm looking to avoid quartz as I like the click/mechanical aspect.

What's your recommendation on refurb vs. purchasing a NOS clock?

Thanks a million!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Keep in mind that if you get another clock, the second hand color will more than likely not match that of the other arrows of your gauges.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:24 AM
macgyver1969
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Keep in mind that if you get another clock, the second hand color will more than likely not match that of the other arrows of your gauges.
True, true. Alas, the whole black background in the clock is oddly almost pitted. It's like the sun hit just the black background on the clock a-la-Indy-Jones style. It's the only gauge face with the odd pitting.

I'm thinking I'll just get it serviced and screened - if nothing else, it's the clock that came with the car when I bought it, so it may not be original, but it's original to me
Old 02-22-2015, 09:38 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Re the quartz, I replaced my '76's with one and it's run for over 20 some years now. They used to sell kits to restore the inners of these clocks, but I'm not sure if they still due. I redid my '67 with a kit years ago and it came out fine. If you are able to find a kit, I have a "How To" VCR tape if you have any interest. If so, we'll work something out.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
Default How to Fix Your Clock

Don't know if this link will be of any help but I snared it from this forum.

http://www.pcfred.com/Vettetip/FixC3Clock.htm
Old 02-22-2015, 10:38 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

We did a video on how to quartz convert the clock

I have NOS 70-79 movements in stock (very limited qty) and they can be used in a 69 clock if we switch out the pinion on the re-set ****, the clutch and a few other parts. Its' best to just find a 70 core and build it (same face). I may have a used clock here that could be used as a donor face... but this may exceed the cost of the repair re-screen option. My thought on this, coming from someone who has repaired and rebuilt this clock for years is this.

The original Borg movement is a horrible design with a long ("Looooog") history of failure. A repaired clock, while it would carry a warranty, this warranty is just rolling the dice that it will make it a year. In our shop we always suggest quartz conversion simply based on the fact that they last! No one likes doing the same job twice and taking the dash apart multiple times is not appealing.

There was a thread on here a while back where a gentleman named Jay Ney did a excellent write up on how to repair your own clock and the only flaw I saw in this write up was that he didn't know you could adjust the speed of the clock by moving the minute hand so if you follow this article make sure to remember you can time the clock once it is installed in the car. http://pcfred.com/Vettetip/FixC3Clock.htm

In most cases, anyone can repair their own clock, it's how long it will last that is the crap shoot.

IMHO,

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Mechanical Clock - Date code and refurb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1969 Mechanical Clock - Date code and refurb