Old 02-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Postal123
Maybe, maybe not? The problem is that everything auto sucked from the advent of emissions and the gas crisis to the perfection of computer control. Maybe you're on to something with the major styling change. To remind us all, here are a few pics of mid-70s Americana. Generally, their late '60s/early '70s counterparts outpace C3s with regards to value and demand...I stand by my theory...

Camaro, Charger, Chevelle, Mustang

I think you validated some of my points. All those cars got refreshes or disappeared before the Vette, and you don't see many modified to look like a steaming pile of dog poop.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:24 PM
Postal123
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
To be fair, someone might point out that many of those $130k restomods took $200k to build, so some of us are still going to be reluctant to listen.
Fair enough, but as a general rule, you'll find more high-dollar builds with pony cars in magazines, calendars and online forums. My original point was that the performance builds increase awareness and peak interest. The effects eventually trickle out to the rest of the marque...
Old 02-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by persuader
all you have to do is look at what most all the young guys here are doing and that should tell you a lot.
^^^this^^^
Old 02-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Originally Posted by Zoomin

they picked up a stigma of being the preferred car of the gold chain set.
Bingo!

All the younger guys I know want a '67-'69 Camaro, Chevelle or Nova and the prices show it.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Maintaining the chrome on these cars is a major headache.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 PM
hummiscorvettetaken
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick71
Bingo!

All the younger guys I know want a '67-'69 Camaro, Chevelle or Nova and the prices show it.
Do you think the fact that only having two seats and no trunk makes a difference with their choice? we went to school with the MG and Triumph crowd so 2 seats seemed normal and still does - consider all the crew cab pick ups the kids are driving versus regular cabs when we were young? lets face it, to love a C3 is to love cramped quarters, a rough ride, no storage and poor visibility, so without a back up camera installed the youth might stay away
Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 AM
vette1500
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by l2vette
Just a question on what everyone thinks about the current value of these cars. Do you think values are increasing or are they ?
While I think that these steel bumper cars will slowly tick up in value, I must say it is at a disappointing rate compared to some of it's competitors in both GM and Mopar/Ford camps. You have to love these cars and plan on owning them for an extended period of time to warrant the initial and ongoing investment. One interesting comment that I heard last week is in regards to the fact that so many purchases of C7's are being made and that many owners have C3's they are selling to fund the C7 purchase. The comment was that with so many cars coming to market, that will affect value over next few years(supply and demand).

Steve
Old 02-26-2015, 09:56 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

I've wondered if the C3 community may be partly responsible for the lower prices compared to other cars of the same vintage. Mainly the insistence these cars are valuable only if they are 100% documented original and kept that way. Predictions from some of certain financial disaster should a non original be considered. It's true, the higher prices paid for C3s go to the more desirable, documented originals. If I were an outsider not terribly interested in originality, looking for a driver, I may shy away from the C3 world from fear of losing a lot of money should I opt not to go the original route. I think this may cause Corvettes to be perceived as being mainly for people who want original show cars, limiting the pool of potential buyers?

Could be for many, the cost of parts, difficulty of maintenance, unusual characteristics such as being a fiberglass body may turn them off. May also be a nostalgia thing, how many owned Corvettes in high school?

I think the prices paid for desirable, documented originals may increase for some time yet. Until the pool of buyers begins to diminish as they get older. Whether this pulls the prices of the others up remains to be seen. IMHO if you're into the car for an investment you need to be detached from the car emotionally. The car becomes more of a stock certificate than a toy.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:59 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Although rubber bumper C3's sold in record numbers they picked up a stigma of being the preferred car of the gold chain set.
To some degree...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:05 AM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
To be fair, someone might point out that many of those $130k restomods took $200k to build, so some of us are still going to be reluctant to listen.
I saw a 64 coupe with about $275k worth of receipts. Figure all in at $300k. I doubt the car can be sold for much more than $125-$150k today.

I have around $40k into my 63 triple black convertible. Nice solid numbers matching driver. I bought the car 8 years ago and its still worth around $40k today. I dont think it ever went down in value, but there are 10 times as many cars for sale today as there were when I was looking to buy in 2006/7. I looked at around 10 cars and sent inspectors to look at 2 or 3 before finding the car on the corvetteforum.

I have around $55k into my 69. Its a loaded 427 4 speed convertible with factory AC and factory side exhaust. I have gone through Bloomington Judging (got screwed and ended up with silver) and NCRS judging where the car achieved the Duntov Award. I drive it all the time, not just to shows. Overall, I think it was a much better investment. It took about 2 years to find this car. I had a specific set of options that I was looking for and I would not accept anything less.

My point is that had I waited for a better C2, it would also have gone up in value. Buy the best car that you can afford.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

Sounds like you have two very nice cars, hope you have many happy years driving them.
That being said, strictly from a cold financial view you think there is more upside to your 55K
C2 than your 40K C2?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Calo69
Sounds like you have two very nice cars, hope you have many happy years driving them.
That being said, strictly from a cold financial view you think there is more upside to your 55K
C2 than your 40K C2?
Huh? Can you you fill in some details on your scenario? Just on the flesh of it, I would guess that the $55K car is either in better condition or has a better motor. Regardless, the higher priced one will more likely continue to demand a better price going forward.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Love this thread,
While the c3 trend IS resto rod if that term sounds too over the top then just split a fine hair and say a bone stock car or a car with mods, bone stock in this case could have not gm replacement stuff but still not modded, for my pseudo point I won't get all **** that the "stock" car has to be a ncrs dream, but modded which would be things like radial tires, engine/suspension mods, paint, perhaps a hood swap, in basic, upgrades to stock to make it "better". or more personalized, people are coming back around to wanting cars that are "theirs".
I understand why in a mistaken way some purists could see the resto rod trend as a threat, some hate mods just because, the resto rod trend it really isn't going to hurt the old ncrs show pieces because the pristine numbers matching stock cars will always have a market and will always fetch good $$$ the market will thin out, the increasing in value will slow but it will be there of course more so for the rare stock cars, no one can say a 69 427 stick convertible is boring even if it is bone stock.
At this point the fellow aching to buy his bone stock c3 who has the funds doesn't have to settle if he looks around he will find just what he wants.

Crazy top dollar builds are never going to be a big return when sold, that tall dollar resto rod build that sells for 100K plus at some bling and flash show off auction has a very skinny if any profit margin, these cars are not selling by the car carrier full, they are not what the average vette shopper buys or even wants because by definition a modded car is built to suit one person the builder/owner.

The cars that are selling and being seen are the 74-82's in most cases not rare cars and in most cases modded to some degree, these cars are mostly under 15K and many are under 10K that is what is getting the most traffic in c3 sales and that is what will be getting the most sales for a long time to come, the resto rod trend will get stronger but we will not see the "gold chain" "look at me" builds of the 70's but rather a more refined form and function method to the madness, the extreme resto rod build will be cars like Easygears or Brents, and others on here like that, but most resto rod builds will not go that far.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Huh? Can you you fill in some details on your scenario? Just on the flesh of it, I would guess that the $55K car is either in better condition or has a better motor. Regardless, the higher priced one will more likely continue to demand a better price going forward.
The exact scenarios are laid out in exposingtimes thread which is right above mine.
Basically my feeling is that strictly from a$$ point of view, the 40 k c2(triple black,numbers

match,conv). has more potential to provide a higher % profit in the future than the ( probably georgeous) C 3, not total dollar amount. By the way it was a question.

Last edited by Calo69; 02-26-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Add
Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Calo69
The exact scenarios are laid out in exposingtimes thread which is right above mine.
Basically my feeling is that strictly from a$$ point of view, the 40 k c2(triple black,numbers match,conv). has more potential to provide a higher % profit in the future than the ( probably georgeous) C 3, not total dollar amount. By the way it was a question.

Ah - in the post where I questioned what you said, you said both were C2's. I see where you're coming from now.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Ah - in the post where I questioned what you said, you said both were C2's. I see where you're coming from now.
Thanks for pointing out my typo, now I see where you were coming from also.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:53 PM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GRipp 73

And not just seen at a car show like I mentioned where they aren't allowed to touch the car. I like the Cars and Coffee vibe more and when a kid walks up to the car with stars in their eyes, I open the door and let them get behind the wheel and let their parents take a picture to share with the world. Makes their day!
Last summer I did the same for a young boy at a show.After the lad had left the other men around me were very impressed and said so.

I reminded them that it is better to get them addicted young so we can up the price later.The one man almost fell out of his chair laughing.
I will always invite a child to get in the car ,that is what dreams are made from and gives heart to this hobby.

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome Bumpers 68-72

Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
cars that are selling and being seen are the 74-82's in most cases not rare cars and in most cases modded to some degree, these cars are mostly under 15K and many are under 10K that is what is getting the most traffic in c3 sales and that is what will be getting the most sales for a long time to come, the resto rod trend will get stronger but we will not see the "gold chain" "look at me" builds of the 70's but rather a more refined form and function method to the madness, the extreme resto rod build will be cars like Easygears or Brents, and others on here like that, but most resto rod builds will not go that far.
I think all C-3's are look at me cars really. And as far as the gold chains go. Hey! I am still gonna' wear mine!

Last edited by persuader; 02-26-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:54 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
If we want the younger generation to have any interest in these cars at all, the cars will need to be seen. Too many of these cars languish in sheds, with the owner never doing more than taking the car out to apply another coat of Zaino.

They need to be out there, at the "cars & Coffee" events, car shows, and just running around town!

Originally Posted by GRipp 73
But how do you inspire the future generations? You show them and teach them about the cars. You have to show them how much fun it is to get your hands dirty, build something, and make it your own. While it is great to drive into a "shine and show" and sit around all day to enjoy some company, it is even better to get them in the garage helping and learning. I get a kick out of the kids in the neighborhood that see me under the car and want to come in and ask questions, before long, I tell them to go home and get into some grubby clothes and come back to help. Then they are hooked!
This is how my kids have learned to love the old cars. They grew up around old cars.... and car shows. They`ve actuallybuilt much of what sits in my garage now! At 14, my youngest started on the 65 truck.... ripping the thing down to frame rails, and rebuilding the front & rear suspension. Now he`s helping me on the Vette. His older brother bought a 67 Mustang when he was 16, but abandoned it as far too rusty to recover. So now he`s working on a 74 Camaro.

Originally Posted by Mick71
My 19 year old talks about nothing else! He claims his NEXT car will be a 69 Camaro!
Old 02-27-2015, 03:17 AM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Young people nowadays are into technology. That is what they like and lets face it some of these modern tuner cars are just a blast to drive and so much more practical for many reasons. I have driven many of them and have been highly impressed. Its hard for the old stuff to compete for the hearts and minds of the younger generation when the newer stuff offers so much more. But there are some young bloods out there that do like and can afford to have that expensive classic car that does not get driven much in their garage too.

Quick Reply: Chrome Bumpers 68-72