Sponsored by:

Chrome Bumpers 68-72

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 AM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Chrome Bumpers 68-72

Just a question on what everyone thinks about the current value of these cars. Do you think values are increasing or are they ?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Being a rookie I have read pages concerning the subject to try and learn. "Values" can't help but to increase....it's called inflation and limited supply. To a person who wants to buy/sell Corvettes as objects-of-interest as a way of "making money"----it may or may not be profitable.....there are too many variables.

As a person who loves Corvettes the investment is more-than-worth the possible "selling price" because the car is a "labor of love and dedication" for which there is no limit on value.

(In the early 1960s my uncle owned a 1932 Chevrolet car (I "loved" that car/couldn't wait to get a lawn mower and earn money doing yardwork after school so I could buy it from him).....he used it to bring his 6 hunting dogs with him deep into the woods to his cabin. Fast-forward 50 years.....that same car today could bring $5,000 or $50,000....depending on the completeness/quality/rarity of the model of the vehicle......My uncle certainly had no idea of that fact 50 years ago----he simply needed an old "jalopy" for week-end trips during the winter months)

Last edited by doorgunner; 02-24-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:15 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

From one perspective, there really isn't any way their value could be DECREASING.

There are fewer available by simple attrition.

And logic would indicate that the "bad" ones are slowly becoming one with the earth and the "good" ones are either still on the road or being slowly restored to "better". There will always be the top-shelf models available, but that's the case for any desireable vehicle.

That said, I agree with Mr. Doorgunner. These are not objects of logic and reason...of investment. If one would purchase it as an investment (unless you get a REALLY good deal and you REALLY know what you're doing), I figure one would be pretty disappointed in the outcome.

But for my old 1970 bucket of bolts, I'm just starting to crest $20k in total "investment", including the cost of the car. For that, I have a completely refreshed/rebuilt drivetrain from the radiator to the rear lug nuts including a 500 hp small block race engine. My reliability is VERY good and the car is VERY fast.

I haven't touched the frame, the front suspension, the interior, or the paint. I wouldn't be at all surprised to spend another $20k before the car starts getting to be where I want it to be.

I would be LUCKY to get $20k out of my car right now and will probably continue on that cycle of being "just behind the curve" as far as my money in vs. the potential money out.

BUT LOOK AT ALL THE FUN I'M HAVING!!!! That is the real investment.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:21 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
From one perspective, there really isn't any way their value could be DECREASING.

There are fewer available by simple attrition.

And logic would indicate that the "bad" ones are slowly becoming one with the earth and the "good" ones are either still on the road or being slowly restored to "better". There will always be the top-shelf models available, but that's the case for any desireable vehicle.

That said, I agree with Mr. Doorgunner. These are not objects of logic and reason...of investment. If one would purchase it as an investment (unless you get a REALLY good deal and you REALLY know what you're doing), I figure one would be pretty disappointed in the outcome.

But for my old 1970 bucket of bolts, I'm just starting to crest $20k in total "investment", including the cost of the car. For that, I have a completely refreshed/rebuilt drivetrain from the radiator to the rear lug nuts including a 500 hp small block race engine. My reliability is VERY good and the car is VERY fast.

I haven't touched the frame, the front suspension, the interior, or the paint. I wouldn't be at all surprised to spend another $20k before the car starts getting to be where I want it to be.

I would be LUCKY to get $20k out of my car right now and will probably continue on that cycle of being "just behind the curve" as far as my money in vs. the potential money out.

BUT LOOK AT ALL THE FUN I'M HAVING!!!! That is the real investment.
Although I have not yet had the experience of driving my 69 much, I can only hope that it will be something to drive and enjoy. With that said I agree with DG and Keithinspace. Love it or leave it. Look at my friend Loup68. He has owned his SB vette for 42 1/2 years. It may not bring big bucks on the selling market but try to take that car from Lou. It ain't gonna happen. Lou drives his vette in Myrtle Beach almost everyday, just like we would do with our regular cars. He's having a blast! Go Lou Go!
r

Last edited by SB64; 02-24-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:59 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The 68-72's are moving into the last category that the C2's have moved from and look where the C2's are now original or not. I see the C3's going up in value regardless of originality if they are still in great shape. The all original and pristine C3's are already in the 50k. and up price range . Sound familiar ? After all these cars are the last of the real classic Corvettes.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by l2vette
...Just a question on what everyone thinks about the current value of these cars...
Posting your question in the C3 Forum might be moot. Have you posted the queston in C2 or C4 (etc) to see what those folks have to say about C3 values?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

+1 on the thread consensus. I've owned mine for 22 years and only seen the values go up. There were no big jumps, but a steady small increase over the years according to various publications.

I don't think for a minute that it matters much to most of us though, we're not in it for the money.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:10 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

I agree with everyone here. The value is in the enjoyment of ownership not resale, well....it would be nice to see major value in terms of $$$$$.
Just thought that this discussion would be interesting for those who are fortunate enough to own one!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:28 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

The value of these (and other collector cars) will fluctuate with the economy. Their prices have risen somewhat in the last few years.
But don't plan on using these clunkers for a retirement account!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

They might be a good investment if you didn't always have to dump money into them just to maintain the status quo.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

You narrowed it to the chromies, the simple fact is the chromies will consistently trickle up in value likely faster and better than 74-82 base model cars but they are not jumping when compared to say Camaros and Firebirds of 68-72 those cars are going up fast.
While the chromies are the ones that more people desire to be stock or at least look mostly stock more and more we see the trend of resto rod hitting them too, we see chromies like DG's or oldgtos that some curmudgeons would have called junk at the start of their projects become very nice "driver" c3's, not purist dreams but super nice cars, that are made to enjoy not made to worry about the investment and resale value years down the road and did that "wrong" tail light or leaf spring kill the sale....
The answer to your question is if you ask me we will never see the day that any c3 doesn't go up in value the rates will wax and wane, some models more than others, after 82 then worry about values not going up and in fact dropping....
Old 02-24-2015, 08:45 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Certain 68-72's such as the L88,LS6,LS5 and LT1's with original motor and unmolesled originals with strong factory paperwork always bring the money at auction and private sales.Convertibles are always in demand and hold their own and have come up a bit where as coupes are priced pretty fair and some good deals out there. I still think original unbastardized Big Blocks always are in demand and the prices seem to reflect that.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I'd wager the chromies will outperform their C4/5/6/7 brethren over the next five years in terms of depreciation.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
I'd wager the chromies will outperform their C4/5/6/7 brethren over the next five years in terms of depreciation.
Hilarious answer!

I think
Old 02-24-2015, 11:47 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

What do I think??
I think the collector world will realize that they have been overlooking a true gem that being the 73. The previously collectible 68 to 72 bumper cars will sink into oblivion. Pushing the 73 to commonly harness six figures at Barrett Jackson auctions. Open your eyes people.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:58 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I wonder what will happen as the next generation of wrenches replaces older wrenches like me. I will be 62 in March. When I was 18 I got me a 66 GTO. What a car. I got my 1st Vette, an 86, in 88 I think. My question is, who will want a car like my 68 L36 Plain Jane Roadster? Will they dump stupid $$ into an old car like I did? Will they keep a pristine, 98K mile original 4-4-2 in the garage? Will they invest in Snap-On? Will they run points?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:01 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff_Keryk
I wonder what will happen as the next generation of wrenches replaces older wrenches like me. I will be 62 in March. When I was 18 I got me a 66 GTO. What a car. I got my 1st Vette, an 86, in 88 I think. My question is, who will want a car like my 68 L36 Plain Jane Roadster? Will they dump stupid $$ into an old car like I did? Will they keep a pristine, 98K mile original 4-4-2 in the garage? Will they invest in Snap-On? Will they run points?
Okay I'll bite. I would like to think there will always be people interested in cars and especially the vettes. The reality NO probably the future generations will be to busy playing video games, texting, loosing the art of speaking and have the ability to completely stop moving when their ear bud falls out of their ear and they no longer can hear constant 24/7 music. Just saying.
r

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome Bumpers 68-72

Old 02-25-2015, 06:30 AM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

Originally Posted by l2vette
Just a question on what everyone thinks about the current value of these cars. Do you think values are increasing or are they ?
My .02
I think the c3 chrome market right now is bottomed out, some great values around, very good time to buy.
Exceptions to any rule though, many variables, big/ small block, coupe/ convert, auto/ 4spd etc.
I believe that this market is driven around the premise of getting the car you dreamed of in high school.
Dream cars will change with generations.
I think originality will hold value in our lifetime, but remember c3's were built for a long stretch, most younger people couldn't care less about chrome.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:30 AM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

i think the values will continue to climb....slow and steady. as for c-3s being a toy and not an investment , my c-3 sat in the garage and gained a bit of value while my "investments " took a 75% hit a while back , i now have a bunch of worthless paper and a corvette. if i had it to do over again my "investments" would be as many "toys " as i could afford
Old 02-25-2015, 07:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by jr73
...I think the collector world will realize that they have been overlooking a true gem that being the 73...
The OP specifically stated 68-72. This thread is not about 73 and later cars.

Quick Reply: Chrome Bumpers 68-72