Door Panel Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:30 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Door Panel Question

In looking at my 69 door panels especially the backing, it looks the same as my old 76 panels. That is the backing ONLY . Was the same backing material and molds use from 69 -76???? Just curious.
r
Old 02-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi r,
The original door panels for your 69 would have molded 'paperboard' backing in a tan color.
Most reproduction door panels are made with black abs plastic.
Because the original vinyl 'skin' tends to crack and split, original panels in excellent condition usually bring pretty serious money!
Regards,
Alan

It could well be that the same backing was used for 69 onward.

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-25-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:19 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi r,
The original door panels for your 69 would have molded 'paperboard' backing in a tan color.
Most reproduction door panels are made with black abs plastic.
Because the original vinyl 'skin' tends to crack and split, original panels in excellent condition usually bring pretty serious money!
Regards,
Alan

Thanks Alan, one of the reasons I asked was because the original donor panels have the hole for the window crank and I will be having power windows. I am looking into seeing who can do the work because I prefer not to use the ABS plastic. I also have a perfect set of backing off my 76 and they look the same and if the 69 backing which has a few bad spots couldn't be fixed I may go to the 76 ones if in fact they are the same. So far I can't see any differences.
Thank you
r
Old 02-25-2015, 07:08 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I'm going to guess that the panel fiberboard base was the same from 68-77. I have a pile of old panels, and the base on all of them looks the same.

If you look at the picture that Alan posted, you can see a raised horizontal rectangle near the top center of the panel. This is where the door pull cup is located on 68 panels. The 69-77 panels have that small square cutout at the forward end of the rectangle, which is where the top bolt of the 69 up door pulls bolt on. 68 panels wouldn't need the cutout, but otherwise all 68-77 panel backers appears to be the same.

You may want to check with Al Knoch, as I think they now offer repro panels, with the original style fiberboard base.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
If you carefully you can see the holes in the paper board for the wood grain panel used in a deluxe interior.
I don't see anything though for mounting the extra piece of carpet and it's trim to the lower part of the panel.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-25-2015, 07:56 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I'm going to guess that the panel fiberboard base was the same from 68-77. I have a pile of old panels, and the base on all of them looks the same.

If you look at the picture that Alan posted, you can see a raised horizontal rectangle near the top center of the panel. This is where the door pull cup is located on 68 panels. The 69-77 panels have that small square cutout at the forward end of the rectangle, which is where the top bolt of the 69 up door pulls bolt on. 68 panels wouldn't need the cutout, but otherwise all 68-77 panel backers appears to be the same.

You may want to check with Al Knoch, as I think they now offer repro panels, with the original style fiberboard base.
Hi gbvette62, as a matter of fact I am speaking with Mr Knoch about see what they are willing to do. I was not aware that they are doing a door panel closer to the original other then the ABS .
Thanks
r
Old 02-25-2015, 08:00 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi,
If you carefully you can see the holes in the paper board for the wood grain panel used in a deluxe interior.
I don't see anything though for mounting the extra piece of carpet and it's trim to the lower part of the panel.
Regards,
Alan
Hi Alan, I am thinking that that's the only difference. The paper board backing looks the same but the 76 panels were deluxe with the carpet on the bottom. I may go ahead and remove the finished side since they are both worn. Some of the paper board on the 69 panels is questionable. I will see what Al Knoch comes up with.
Thank You
r
Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

With the [original] fiber panels, you really need to install the water vapor (clear plastic) film or some thin vinyl sheeting with them. Those fiber panels really suck up any water/moisture and then start disintegrating.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi r,
The pressboard backing from AK may be a nice possibility for 68-69 cars.
In talking to him about them at Carlisle I asked about the 70-72 panels that I'd be interested in.
He''s using the same vinyl skin regardless of the backing and the reproduction skin he uses lacks some of the detail, especially in the comfort-weave panel detail, that original 70-72 panels have.
So that makes another reproduction that's enticingly close but still not QUITE right.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-26-2015, 09:41 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi r,
The pressboard backing from AK may be a nice possibility for 68-69 cars.
In talking to him about them at Carlisle I asked about the 70-72 panels that I'd be interested in.
He''s using the same vinyl skin regardless of the backing and the reproduction skin he uses lacks some of the detail, especially in the comfort-weave panel detail, that original 70-72 panels have.
So that makes another reproduction that's enticingly close but still not QUITE right.
Regards,
Alan
Would I assume that his weave pattern is the closest or is there another vendor. The funny thing on the panels is the padded weave sections are great, it's just the darn hole for the crank handle. Now, I could just go with the window cranks I guess.
r
Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi r,
The detail panel is different for your 69 than for 70-72 cars.
I really don't know how accurate the AK vinyl detail is for the 69 panels.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-26-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Trust me Roger, if you plan to drive your car a lot, leaning over to crank the passenger window down gets old REAL fast. That is why I added power windows to my coupe. I also never had a car with them and to me this was luxury!
The other thing that I hated is pushing in the stupid seat belt button every time that you start the car, to turn off the red fasten seat belt light. Your finger wears the paint off of the gauge bezel.
I changed that also, on mine. Lou.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:29 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default door panels

So I just got off the phone with Al Knoch. Nice guy, told me he does make the paperback door panel molds which he said he received from GM years ago. Told me the price and even cut $200 off. I may go that route I'll see. Something to think about anyway. Thank you for all the feedback.
r
Old 02-26-2015, 05:32 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Seems like there are good and bad to both types of backing material. I'm installing new door panels now with abs and they have more curve than the pressed paper board and it makes it more difficult to pull the bottom in . ( A lot of tension on the panels ) The pressed paper panels flex more and can be pulled in tight without the tension. The only advantage to the abs is that the metal clips that pull the bottom in won't tear the slots when under tension unlike the pressed paper.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:33 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by loup68
Trust me Roger, if you plan to drive your car a lot, leaning over to crank the passenger window down gets old REAL fast. That is why I added power windows to my coupe. I also never had a car with them and to me this was luxury!
The other thing that I hated is pushing in the stupid seat belt button every time that you start the car, to turn off the red fasten seat belt light. Your finger wears the paint off of the gauge bezel.
I changed that also, on mine. Lou.
Hi Lou, I know I would rather stay with the power windows myself. I probably will but still not sure. These original panels are in nice shape.
Thanks
Call you soon
r
Old 02-26-2015, 11:46 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Seems like there are good and bad to both types of backing material. I The pressed paper panels flex more and can be pulled in tight without the tension. The only advantage to the abs is that the metal clips that pull the bottom in won't tear the slots when under tension unlike the pressed paper.
The pressed fiberboard panels flex and are easier to fit in...my opinion.

BTW. My 68 original door panels are just excellent. There is a 1/4 inch crack on one of them!!!! I'm seriously thinking about buying a pair of repro panels just to have them in the future. 10...15 years from now, it may be impossible to buy repro panels.

My original 68 dashboard is like new. My 68 original plastic steering wheel has no cracks. I'm on my second set of seat covers though. No real problems for me with manual windows. The car interior is narrow enough, that I can easily lean over from the driver's seat and roll up the passenger's window. I cleaned up the window interior mechanisms/rollers and it's now so much easier to roll up and down the windows...got rid of the hard caked grease.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 02-26-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:56 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bj1k
Seems like there are good and bad to both types of backing material. I'm installing new door panels now with abs and they have more curve than the pressed paper board and it makes it more difficult to pull the bottom in . ( A lot of tension on the panels ) The pressed paper panels flex more and can be pulled in tight without the tension. The only advantage to the abs is that the metal clips that pull the bottom in won't tear the slots when under tension unlike the pressed paper.
When I did my 76 I used the ABS panels because I did not know about anything else. I had a tough time also. The sun and a heat gun helped but need to be REAL careful with the heat. Now I will try the paperback panels on my 69.
Thanks
r
Old 02-27-2015, 06:00 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
The pressed fiberboard panels flex and are easier to fit in...my opinion.

BTW. My 68 original door panels are just excellent. There is a 1/4 inch crack on one of them!!!! I'm seriously thinking about buying a pair of repro panels just to have them in the future. 10...15 years from now, it may be impossible to buy repro panels.

My original 68 dashboard is like new. My 68 original plastic steering wheel has no cracks. I'm on my second set of seat covers though. No real problems for me with manual windows. The car interior is narrow enough, that I can easily lean over from the driver's seat and roll up the passenger's window. I cleaned up the window interior mechanisms/rollers and it's now so much easier to roll up and down the windows...got rid of the hard caked grease.
Hi 68/70 vette. My 76 had crank windows and your right you can just lean over to reach them. My 69 comes with power windows and would like to stick with that but I am open to using the panels off my donor car. I will think about it. Oh Al Knoch told me today he has over 300 of the paper back panels so you might be ok for awhile.
Thanks
r
Old 02-27-2015, 02:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Can you find an [unobtrusive] plastic hole plug that will close off that window crank hole? You can use matching vinyl dye to have the same interior color. No, it won't be perfect; but the padded panel will be correct and you can have power windows.

Another option (what I would likely do) is to acually fill that hole from the backside with a fiber backing, then fill/blend the surface with a polyester resin. As the resin hardens, you can use a piece of similar vinyl to press into the surface to create the 'grain' look. Finally, recolor the whole thing with matching vinyl dye. Much more trouble, but you end up with what you really want.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 02-27-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Panel Question

Quick Reply: Door Panel Question