Initial Body Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 PM
MGKelly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial Body Lift?

Hello,
I’ve searched for pics and video but only found material with the body already separated from the frame and in straps. How do you initially separate the body from the frame?
Should I put a jack under the steel lip between body and frame under the doors and lift each side slowly or is there a easier safer way?

Thanks, Joe
Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

The straps and a hoist are the only safe way of lifting the body. The straps hook securely under the metal supports under the rocker panels.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:59 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MGKelly
Hello,
I’ve searched for pics and video but only found material with the body already separated from the frame and in straps. How do you initially separate the body from the frame?
Should I put a jack under the steel lip between body and frame under the doors and lift each side slowly or is there a easier safer way?

Thanks, Joe
This is what I did, I did not have a engine in mine.

After everything is disconnected and all 8 mount bolts removed. Do not forget to remove bolts on radiator mount, I just removed it all. Brake lines and fuel and vapor lines. they all stay with the frame but your vapor canister is mounted to body. Steering connection, bumpers depending on year. Had my vehicle on jack stands so I could watch it coming off. Using straps I purchased from ecklers but shortened with ratchets as the ones you purchase are way too long. I started lifting shacking the body a little and it broke of the mounts where it had been sitting since 1973. Once about 3" off frame I went under to make sure everything was loose and I had missed the seat belt mount cable.

Just take it slow and do not be in a hurry. I did not have any help, but I like doing things by myself.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:02 AM
MGKelly
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bj1k
The straps and a hoist are the only safe way of lifting the body. The straps hook securely under the metal supports under the rocker panels.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:08 AM
MGKelly
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
This is what I did, I did not have a engine in mine.

After everything is disconnected and all 8 mount bolts removed. Do not forget to remove bolts on radiator mount, I just removed it all. Brake lines and fuel and vapor lines. they all stay with the frame but your vapor canister is mounted to body. Steering connection, bumpers depending on year. Had my vehicle on jack stands so I could watch it coming off. Using straps I purchased from ecklers but shortened with ratchets as the ones you purchase are way too long. I started lifting shacking the body a little and it broke of the mounts where it had been sitting since 1973. Once about 3" off frame I went under to make sure everything was loose and I had missed the seat belt mount cable.

Just take it slow and do not be in a hurry. I did not have any help, but I like doing things by myself.
Thanks, I've got almost everything disconnected and thanks for mentioning the radiator supports.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

There is a check list on the forum .... use it it will help. So for mine I used my four post lift, I strapped the car in on my gantry and lowered the frame down from the body, it allowed the slow control I was comfortable with.

Dave
Old 02-27-2015, 06:17 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by The Phantom
There is a check list on the forum .... use it it will help. So for mine I used my four post lift, I strapped the car in on my gantry and lowered the frame down from the body, it allowed the slow control I was comfortable with.

Dave
Hi Dave, looks like you did it. Nice to have a lift available as well as the gantry. good job , now the real fun starts. What are you going for stock or resto. Keep the pic's coming.
r
Old 02-27-2015, 11:38 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

The driver's side of the frame has two 9/16 inch holes. The passenger's side of the frame has two 9/16 inch holes. Correspondingly there are 9/16 holes in the birdcage. Pins, on the factory assembly line, were placed in these holes to accurately mate the birdcage (the body) to the frame.

If you want to duplicate these 9/16 inch dowel rods, you cannot just go to the hardware store and buy 9/16 inch steel rods. They won't be exactly 9/16, they'll be slightly smaller diameter. To get real 9/16 inch steel rods, you have to go to a machinist supply store and possibly order them.

I think having these alignment pins will be a good idea for you body drop. Actually, the hardware store 9/16 inch rods will be pretty good...far better than nothing.
Why aren't hardware store 9/16 inch rods, 9/16 inch? Simple, buy a 2X4 from the same hardware store. The 2X4 you buy will be 1 7/8 X 3 7/8. The 9/16 inch steel rod won't be 9/16 inch either...that's what I was told...don't know if it's true.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 02-27-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:43 AM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was able to lift off my body with the forementioned straps and an engine lift. I had to shorten the straps by wrapping them around 2" X 4"s, plus I had to remove the tires and place the car down on wheel dollies. It just gave me enough clearance. But it worked.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:35 AM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by rvzio
Hi Dave, looks like you did it. Nice to have a lift available as well as the gantry. good job , now the real fun starts. What are you going for stock or resto. Keep the pic's coming.
r
The car is so far from stock there is no turning back .... and that's what I wanted, anyway I just thought some pics would help the original poster. I'll post when I'm a little further along ... or the snow melts ... or both!

Dave
Old 02-28-2015, 11:18 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by The Phantom
The car is so far from stock there is no turning back .... and that's what I wanted, anyway I just thought some pics would help the original poster. I'll post when I'm a little further along ... or the snow melts ... or both!

Dave
Gotcha Dave, good luck and we will be watching.
r

Get notified of new replies

To Initial Body Lift?

Quick Reply: Initial Body Lift?