Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Younger Generation - Thoughts & Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:21 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

"What are your opinions and ideas on why today's teenager generation is not as interested in classic cars as you all wish they would be?"

They are too expensive. To get a decent rubber bumper vette is going to run $5000. Then everything to fix it. Even a decent muscle car is expensive. Most teenagers can't afford that much money. I am sure they have interest but can't swing the money.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Cynical
...What are your opinions and ideas on why today's teenager generation is not as interested in classic cars as you all wish they would be?...I'm 17...
Ask some of the folks in your age group.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I am 23 and I have grown up around classics. My first Corvette was my 1972 C3 that my dad gave me for being a good kid and not getting in trouble at the age of 15. But my first vehicle was my 1954 Ford F-100. I rescued it from a family member's barn in the early 1990's. The truck was mine when I signed up for Pre-K. The first car that I worked on my dad with was his 1954 Desoto. We worked on a lot of things and built a lot of things. Cars, aviation, railroading, machining, restoring, building houses and furniture,etc. That was me as a kid.

Growing up I grew up in C1's,C2's,C3's,C4's,C5's. I grew up going to car shows, playing in old cars (in fields pretending I was old enough to drive), climbing trees, building forts, and tents, boy scouts, building models and riding bikes,etc. Even then, most of the kids I knew weren't into what I was into. They were into video games, TV, action figures, etc. They were into going to the mall and I was into getting in the garage and building cars with my dad.

We have had a lot of cars, new and old. It is easier to build classic cars in the sense that almost anyone can turn a wrench. Modern cars are no secret, more plastic and computers than in the past. Most Motors today have a good portion of parts made out of plastic!

I have gotten several guys and girls to go from non car people to car people. Now some went for modern over classics, but even those who went with modern cars are now interested in cars. From there I hope that they will expand their knowledge and interest in cars and go from there.

As for trucks, I am a truck fan. The teens here are really big into lifting trucks, building them up to be a real mean truck. I own a 2004 Silverado longbed that I have had since new. I have built it but not as exteme as others. I have a new 2015 2500HD Silverado crewcab longed on order, and plan to build it up.

Anyways, when I get that "annoying" "can I drive!?" or "can I have a ride?!" or what ever else from not just younger crowds, but all crowds from men to women, young to old, poor to rich, etc; I try to grant their wish. I mean I get a lot of flak but if I don't let them experience a classic Vette, who will?

I mean I think we are not sharing our hobby enough, and when we are, we are closed minded.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Problem is finding them!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Very good points in here. My opinion is short and sweet and a lot can be read into it either way. I believe that whatever behavior is being questioned about a certain generations actions, behaviors and beliefs are a direct result (or fault) of the generation preceding them not properly guiding them to where they wish they were today. Heck, you can even throw some blame back an additional generation to the grandparents not being involved enough. What do you expect... the internet and the TV are great babysitters. Seems the kids listened and learned from it.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:44 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Facebook some of the folks in your age group.
Fixed that for ya'
Old 02-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would I do that if I'm addressing the forum and asking what they think...?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:35 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Why would I do that if I'm addressing the forum and asking what they think...?
Because it's a flawed question from the start, asking people decades older why they think the teens of today do not get into classics is only going to serve up "opinions", the only real answers would have to come from other teens....

I am 50 and I have no idea why when I was a teen and 15-16 I was beating out metal flares on a Camaro and hanging every fri-sat at the local cruise spot,

I just liked that stuff...

I did grow up glued to movies, I loved car films ranging from American graffiti to Corvette Summer, Death race 2000 ( original campy one ) to Gumball Rally.
at least 4 guys at my high school had air horns that played "Dixie" because the Dukes were on TV, We all had CB's because of Bandit.

I would see in moves "hot rods" "customs" and I went and did that with the same era cars as I saw in the films, My first vette a 72 was less than 10 years old when I bought it, not a POS but a lower end driver, bb convertible and was well under 5K,
A buddy bought a late 60's 302 Mustang for 3K . but we were not building flathead hot rods or leadsleds...

Today still has car films, the new Death race, all kinds of fast and furious movies, etc,
But the cars films of today share a kinship with the car films of my teen era, they use cars from the era, I do realize that one film had a c2 grand sport clone and another a 69 charger, still the bulk of the cars were modern imports and in less than full tilt built affordable to teens...what do we see most teens behind the wheel of today?
Cars ranging from 5 - 15 years old, same as when I was a teen.

So your question, why do "I" think teens of today are not interested in "classic cars"?
The answer is, they are, but what a classic is to todays teen is just different to what a "classic" is to us older cats, it's all about generation, what is a "classic" changes in relation to the age of the person you ask....I actually do not see my 69 corvette as a "classic" I see it as an old car, lol, to me classics are 40-early 60's and I really wasn't interested in them in my teens or now, and perhaps in my teens the 50 yo's of that era wondered why...
It's a generational thing.

So the question back at you, why did you decide you liked a c3 vette?
What do your friends in your age group think of it, do any of your teen friends own cars older than they are?

Last edited by The13Bats; 02-26-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:55 PM
VetteMarshal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
What do your friends in your age group think of it, do any of your teen friends own cars older than they are?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I thought it was an interesting question. I guess not. Most of my friends/family own 2000 or newer vehicles. My brother owns a 95 Civic, he was born in '96, does that count?

Have you ever owned a vehicle older than you?
Old 02-26-2015, 06:17 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Because it's a flawed question from the start, asking people decades older why they think the teens of today do not get into classics is only going to serve up "opinions", the only real answers would have to come from other teens....
Bats,

Much respect to you but in my opinion the question isn't 'flawed' in any way. I got the responses that I greatly appreciated and was looking to hear - and agree with a lot of them. To each their own

So the question back at you, why did you decide you liked a c3 vette?
As for your question, I wanted something different than what everyone else has. You don't see teenagers now a days with what people consider 'sports cars' - even at that very few that are willing to work an entire year (and then some) without even driving it. I guess the pushing point for myself was visiting the NCM in Bowling Green during spring break a year ago. My friends have little interest in what I consider classic cars. My brother owns a '92 Camaro and we recently coaxed my friend into getting an '89 Mustang but regardless the majority could care less. My dad had always had a wrench in his hand, but it fluctuated between VWs and Chevys (never a Corvette). Only person in my family to own one... ever.

Also got a good laugh from @VetteMarshal and his post about the 95 Civic and brother born in 96
Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I raised two boys and always had their buddies around. Mine didn't even bother to get driver licences to almost 20 years old. My oldest could car less about cars.

My youngest likes the exotics. All them know I'm a gearhead and not one of them was into cars. If anything a little import scene with one of them getting a BRZ.

They all like the cars I've had over the years but that's about it.

I even got my son a job at a fabrication shop but he didn't like it.

Here he is cutting out a floor board. Can't say I didn't tried
Old 02-26-2015, 08:22 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by VetteMarshal
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I thought it was an interesting question. I guess not. Most of my friends/family own 2000 or newer vehicles. My brother owns a 95 Civic, he was born in '96, does that count?

Have you ever owned a vehicle older than you?
Older than me no, close but no cigar....

Bats,

Much respect to you but in my opinion the question isn't 'flawed' in any way. I got the responses that I greatly appreciated and was looking to hear - and agree with a lot of them. To each their own

If all you want is guesses and opinions then it served your purpose if you wanted a real informed answer then you would have to ask the group in question otherwise it is flawed...

As for your question, I wanted something different than what everyone else has. You don't see teenagers now a days with what people consider 'sports cars' - even at that very few that are willing to work an entire year (and then some) without even driving it. I guess the pushing point for myself was visiting the NCM in Bowling Green during spring break a year ago. My friends have little interest in what I consider classic cars. My brother owns a '92 Camaro and we recently coaxed my friend into getting an '89 Mustang but regardless the majority could care less. My dad had always had a wrench in his hand, but it fluctuated between VWs and Chevys (never a Corvette). Only person in my family to own one... ever.

Also got a good laugh from @VetteMarshal and his post about the 95 Civic and brother born in 96
Your friends with the 92 Camaro and 89 'stang have the classics of your generation, 10-15-20 yo cars that they can afford and hop up if they desire, they do not get into the 30-plus yo cars any more than I or any of my friends did when were teens...

I happen to recall guys just like you working really hard for their cars and then having to work longer on them before driving them, do you think I was handed a 72 vette for free when I was 17? no, I wasn't lucky enough to have a bucks up dad who handed me his pristine whatever so I could posture that I worked and paid for it and did all the work on it...throughout time teens have worked to own their hot rods... just in the last 10 years or so most of the cars they are building are imports....teens still hot rod they just do it different as times change.
If it makes you feel better I just sold a custom front clip ( cheap 75.00 ) to a 17yo who is building his 80 corvette that he says is a mess, and he happens to work at the tri5 outfit making the metal body new old chevys...

PS, if you do not like the term "hot rod" change it to "wrench" "car craft" or whatever term you dig...terms change with times too...
Tell me this why does a non tech thread get a zillion hits when many tech threads go unanswered?

Last edited by The13Bats; 02-26-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:08 AM
MCMLXXX
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

I think a lot of it is we dont expose these young ones to our cars. My 16 yr old daughter loves corvette's. I even bought the 1985 with her in mind. when some here found out I would be giving her a vette when she got her drivers license, I was told I was nuts for giving her such a car. well If we dont foster the hobby where will it come from? My view is she will have a vette sometime sooner or later, why not teach her how to handle one now, rather than her having to wait.

We are killing the hobby ourselfs by saying kids today cant handle these cars, or you are crazy for letting a 16yr old, 17 yr old, etc have such a car. We shoot our own feet, then ask why kids today are not into these cars.

Mike.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
You sir, are doing a good job, congrats.
Thank-you.

I never pushed him that direction. He just likes anything vintage. He can name any '60/'70s' muscle car put in front of him and what engine is in it. His head turns if a big block drives by and with a smile on his face asks, "did you hear that?" His younger brother (9 years old) video games rules his world. Oh well, one out of two.

Last edited by bkvette3; 02-27-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:12 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by MCMLXXX
I think a lot of it is we dont expose these young ones to our cars.

My kids were raised around old cars. I`ve got a picture somewhere, of my oldest boy wet sanding the GTO in diapers, LOL! They grew up working on them. They know they`ll inherit them, AND in addition, they want other old cars of their own while they wait for that inheritance! Look at that face.... he KNOWS this will be his car someday!

Old 02-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to be argumentative Bats, but this time you're incorrect: Cynical's question was not in any way flawed.

I think many people, not just here but everywhere, make the mistake of answering the question they perceive instead of the question that was asked.

Cynical asked, specifically, what this forum thinks and what our opinions are. Is that the best way to find out why younger kids aren't into old cars? No, probably not. But he wasn't asking simply "why". He was asking our opinions, which I think he's gotten in spades. I don't believe the younger perspective is what he wanted: he wanted the perspective of the older generation.

Let's all try to remember to answer the questions being asked, not the ones we perceive.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:23 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kris Tunetso
Not to be argumentative Bats, but this time you're incorrect: Cynical's question was not in any way flawed.

I think many people, not just here but everywhere, make the mistake of answering the question they perceive instead of the question that was asked.

Cynical asked, specifically, what this forum thinks and what our opinions are. Is that the best way to find out why younger kids aren't into old cars? No, probably not. But he wasn't asking simply "why". He was asking our opinions, which I think he's gotten in spades. I don't believe the younger perspective is what he wanted: he wanted the perspective of the older generation.

Let's all try to remember to answer the questions being asked, not the ones we perceive.
You assumed a bit there and just ran with your own opinions we each are allowed to have our our opinion...
As far as what the op asked,
I already made my point...
"If all you want is guesses and opinions then it served your purpose if you wanted a real informed answer then you would have to ask the group in question otherwise it is flawed"

After I gave that comment I did go on to give my opinion/answer to his question.
I moved on, I hope you can too...

Get notified of new replies

To Younger Generation - Thoughts & Opinions

Old 02-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Cynical
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kris Tunetso

This is EXACTLY what I was asking! Thanks Kris.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:06 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

This is EXACTLY what I was asking! Thanks Kris.
Then you got what you wanted and everyone is happy...
Old 02-27-2015, 05:30 PM
russianhomie119
Advanced

My opinion is that parents want to buy a cheap & RELIABLE car that is simple to maintain. I think that corvette ownership and interest are not related. Also generational technology gap. I'm 24 (border of digital technology boom)

I got my first vette when I was 17 or 18 when I could first afford it with my money. I am also not really interested in any other old/classic/muscle cars other than vettes.

Quick Reply: Younger Generation - Thoughts & Opinions