Sponsored by:

Dash Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:47 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Default Dash Speakers

Working on my new '71 vert that did not come with any radio or speakers. Installing aftermarket system. It has a thin dash topper but the holes for the speakers are placed too far outboard (don't match up the speaker openings below it!!!). The original dash speaker holes are already cut open, hidden by the topper.

Anybody ever top mount the 4x6 speakers and have the grills show? Thinking plain black metal, matching the black interior. Not exactly my first choice, Bubba in training here

And the kick panels can fit 4x6 also?

Also any 6x9 boxes fit a roadster rear compartment? I like the dual setup from CC...but $200 is pricey. And I am up to date on impedances, power etc, so NP there

Last edited by mikem350; 02-26-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 PM
LRB
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
Working on my new '71 vert that did not come with any radio or speakers. Installing aftermarket system. It has a thin dash topper but the holes for the speakers are placed too far outboard (don't match up the speaker openings below it!!!). The original dash speaker holes are already cut open, hidden by the topper.

Anybody ever top mount the 4x6 speakers and have the grills show? Thinking plain black metal, matching the black interior. Not exactly my first choice, Bubba in training here

And the kick panels can fit 4x6 also?

Also any 6x9 boxes fit a roadster rear compartment? I like the dual setup from CC...but $200 is pricey. And I am up to date on impedances, power etc, so NP there

mikem350, Here are a few pictures of how I put 4x6 speakers in the dash of my 75 convertible when I recovered the dash and I put 4x6 speakers in my kick panels.
Attached Images   
Old 02-27-2015, 12:07 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Awesome...exactly what I was looking for!! Now need to find some nice looking grills...lol. Top mounting might also solve some clearance issues. They should sound really good too!

Thanks for the info/pics

Last edited by mikem350; 02-27-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:23 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the car isn't intended to be 'completely stock', mounting them on top of the dash and covering with a nice speaker grill would be fine.

But, consider the weight of the speakers and the 'strength' of the dash material under them. The original C3 dash used a framed speaker-holder under the dash to support the weight. You may want to consider using some thin veneer support under the dash (glued to it?) to provide that support.

You may also want to consider additional speakers in the kickpanel areas to enrich the sound and enhance the bass in your tunes.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:30 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
But, consider the weight of the speakers and the 'strength' of the dash material under them. The original C3 dash used a framed speaker-holder under the dash to support the weight. You may want to consider using some thin veneer support under the dash (glued to it?) to provide that support.

You may also want to consider additional speakers in the kickpanel areas to enrich the sound and enhance the bass in your tunes.
7T1, good idea about adding strength. It also makes for better sound (bass)!

I still don't know why the holes don't line up...maybe the topper is from a different year?

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Speakers

Quick Reply: Dash Speakers