Hood advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 PM
CSX66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood advice needed

Hi All,

I'm doing a resto mod on a 72 convertible. It's currently got a big block/Lt1 hood on it. It's far from an original car. It's a factory hood but not the original.

I'm now planning on going with an LS swap rather than rebuilding the old 400 that it came with.

To make life a bit simpler I'm thinking about replacing the current hood with a later model (73-74) hood that runs up to the windscreen. This will let me get rid of the wiper door which needs some work on mine.

My car is also missing the stainless trims from the tops of the quards at the base of the windscreen. It's had a new front clip fitted at some point and needs refitting correctly.

What's involved in swapping the later hood onto my 72. Is there a model year that's just a bolt on?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by CSX66
Hi All,

I'm doing a resto mod on a 72 convertible. It's currently got a big block/Lt1 hood on it. It's far from an original car. It's a factory hood but not the original.

I'm now planning on going with an LS swap rather than rebuilding the old 400 that it came with.

To make life a bit simpler I'm thinking about replacing the current hood with a later model (73-74) hood that runs up to the windscreen. This will let me get rid of the wiper door which needs some work on mine.

My car is also missing the stainless trims from the tops of the quards at the base of the windscreen. It's had a new front clip fitted at some point and needs refitting correctly.

What's involved in swapping the later hood onto my 72. Is there a model year that's just a bolt on?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers

Mike
After we get pass the replies telling you to leave it stock...oops...none yet...

Companies like Ecklers sell long hoods made for 68-72 owners who desire to do what you want, these hood fit somewhat better than trying to just add a stock say 73 hood to your car, the rear hood fender area if different and it takes work to fit a stock hood, but keep in mind when swapping hoods on c3's even stock hoods from car to car some need more fitting work that others....and latches changed later on too.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:33 PM
hail to R3
Advanced

Im in the same boat with my 68 and like the look of long hoods better.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:24 AM
CSX66
Advanced

After a bit more searching and reading it looks like I need a "long hood". I wasn't sure what they called the later hood. It looks like there is some mismatch between the later hood and the earlier guards where the hood meets the windscreen.

It looks like an easier solution would be to buy an L88 long hood from Ecklers http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1972.html

It seems this hood is made the cover the wiper door area and match up with the original guards. The price is not too bad either since they want about $900 for an original 73/74 hood down here in Australia. I could probably sell my old BB/LT1 hood and recover most of the cost.

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-27-2015, 12:40 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

I guess I didnt say it right...
Old 02-27-2015, 12:51 AM
CSX66
Advanced

Thanks The13Bats, I went looking at what Ecklers had after reading your post. I just thought I'd post up what I found.

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-27-2015, 01:39 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Sorry..thought you missed my post
just be sure the long hood you get is for 68-72 made to fit.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood advice needed

Quick Reply: Hood advice needed