Trying to connect some dots in the history of my dad's old 73 in NY

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 PM
jbanas
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to connect some dots in the history of my dad's old 73 in NY

Hey all,

Just registered here. Looking for some possible direction in connecting the dots for my dad's old 73. He does not own it now, but we have been discussing it quite a bit lately. Still trying to dig up paperwork and see if we can find the vin number, but in the meantime I've been trying to narrow down the range it could be in.

We're sure the car is long gone, but it would still be cool to know if it was indeed still kickin on the road somewhere.

It was a:

- 1973 Coupe
- Dark Blue
- Black Leather
- 4 spd
- L82
- No A/C
- No power windows

He ordered the car in January of 1973 and took delivery of it in September of 73. Was it ordinary for cars to take that long to come in, or was there some sitting involved? Another part of the story that doesnt seem to add up is that he swears on his life his alarm key hole was on the front fender, not on the back like the rest of the 73s. Was this some strange cross-over 73/74 thing that happened? Normal? Or his memory just a little foggy? He has said that bit about the keyhole for as long as I can remember tho.

He later sold it during the summer of 76 he recalls, to an 18 year old kid in West Seneca NY.

Decoding the vin I'm at 1Z37T3S _ _ _ _ _

Any help or tips I could get on the questions we have would be greatly appreciated. If this isnt the right spot of the forum to post this kind of thing, I apologize and it can be removed.

I'm looking to try and find a dark blue 73 with black leather just like his to buy him sometime in the next year. So, I figured I would first try to find out if his is still out there somewhere. Unlikely, I know!

Thank you.

Last edited by jbanas; 02-26-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:45 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Could not find any evidence of a worker strike in 1973 that would account for a delivery delay. if you can get the full VIN try the www.c3registry.com
Old 02-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by jbanas
...He ordered the car in January of 1973 and took delivery of it in September of 73. Was it ordinary for cars to take that long to come in, or was there some sitting involved?...
73 production ended during July, 1973. I cannot account for your dad not receiving the car until September.

An engine code of T in the VIN would confirm the optional L-82.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Sure he did not have a 74? That would account for the delivery date and the alarm key location.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:23 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

see if your father can remember the insurance co. or agent he had at that time,they might have some archived records.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:01 PM
jbanas
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll see what I can do on paperwork this week, and maybe see if they know the insurance company from then. It was for sure a 73 though, as my dad remembers him and my mother hating the tail ends of the split bumper on the 74s. Was anything wacky going on at the plant back then that it could have been some weird 73/74 cross over? How long would it typically take a car to get to the dealer after finished production?

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to connect some dots in the history of my dad's old 73 in NY

Quick Reply: Trying to connect some dots in the history of my dad's old 73 in NY