Headlight Assembly Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:46 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Headlight Assembly Removal

I am at this stage

Vacuum hoses removed, wiring removed, and 3 bolts holding assembly to header bar are out.

In order to get the assembly out it looks like headlight door has to be in the closed position, but I cant get it closed.

How do you get it down?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2015, 11:00 AM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

It is now in the locked up position. You need to pull out on the pivot arm assembly and the door will close down.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:07 AM
JC68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by hzz
I am at this stage

Vacuum hoses removed, wiring removed, and 3 bolts holding assembly to header bar are out.

In order to get the assembly out it looks like headlight door has to be in the closed position, but I cant get it closed.

How do you get it down?

Thanks
Hzz

You can unlock the links by pulling forward on the joint where they come together. Once you do this it will easily close.

John
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Those pivot arms are kinda of like a knee joint (well if your knees are still good, ha!), they swing pass the neutral position to sorta of lock. you just push at the hinge point to go past the neutral point and they will swing closed (watch your fingers, too).

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:39 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the replies....I got the door closed.

I have now removed the 3 bolts holding it to the header bar, and the 2 bolts under the front bumper.

I have the whole unit loose and free now, but can't find a way to remove it. Pulling it back towards the engine it gets stuck on inner fender.

Do I need to disassemble more of it, or is there a trick to working it out as one unit?

Thanks again
Old 02-27-2015, 03:26 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Imho...

IMHO, I have not done this job yet on my 72, in my case, I need to reassembly through the holes. But as I understand it, you have to remove and install in pieces, so if it were me, I would take it all apart.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:36 PM
JC68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hzz

I have now removed the 3 bolts holding it to the header bar, and the 2 bolts under the front bumper.

I have the whole unit loose and free now, but can't find a way to remove it. Pulling it back towards the engine it gets stuck on inner fender.

Do I need to disassemble more of it, or is there a trick to working it out as one unit?

Thanks again
Hzz

When I did this I took everything apart and did it in pieces. I couldn't find any other way to make it work. Once it is apart you can turn the frame side ways to get it out.

John
Old 02-27-2015, 04:45 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JC68
Hzz

When I did this I took everything apart and did it in pieces. I couldn't find any other way to make it work. Once it is apart you can turn the frame side ways to get it out.

John
Thanks, John.

I removed the arm on the side..made it close, but I still don't think it can be removed without further dis-assembly.
It does not look like a fun job to take it apart while it is in the car....where did you start?

Thanks

Zane
Old 02-27-2015, 05:27 PM
JC68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hzz
Thanks, John.

I removed the arm on the side..made it close, but I still don't think it can be removed without further dis-assembly.
It does not look like a fun job to take it apart while it is in the car....where did you start?

Thanks

Zane
Zane

Disassembly is relatively simple. Putting it back together so everything looks nice an lines up is much harder. Remove all the springs and links first. Then it is just a matter of removing the headlight door and you should be able to get it out.

John

John
Old 02-27-2015, 07:17 PM
jboweriii
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default allen wrench

there is a allen head set screw that if you loosen you can move it to help you. I learned the hard way installing mine.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:13 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by hzz

Thanks again
If we are re-conditioning a headlamp housing, we remove it as a assembly, then take the assembly apart on the bench. If is way easier to take apart this way.

Remove the three rear bolts on the header and the two up front and the entire headlamp assembly will come out.

Willcox
Old 02-27-2015, 08:19 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
If we are re-conditioning a headlamp housing, we remove it as a assembly, then take the assembly apart on the bench. If is way easier to take apart this way.

Remove the three rear bolts on the header and the two up front and the entire headlamp assembly will come out.

Willcox
That's exactly what I want to do. I have the whole unit loose but can't seem to find a way to remove it. Every which way I try it binds up somewhere. Can't seem to find the right path to remove it.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:41 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 244 Likes on 169 Posts

the only way I got them in or out was through the core support, that means you might have to remove the radiator.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
the only way I got them in or out was through the core support, that means you might have to remove the radiator.
Believe it or not the rad and cradle are out. So is the engine. I just can't find the right path to remove the assembly. Maybe I'll try the driver's side tomorrow. Giving up for tonight.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:55 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Got them out. The trick was to remove the center support to allow me to move them inward.

Now on to the header bar removal.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:54 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by hzz
Got them out. The trick was to remove the center support to allow me to move them inward.

Now on to the header bar removal.

Thanks for all the help!
Nice... and they are not broken either... that's a plus.

I do see a bunch of galvanic corrosion on the back side (the white powder on your support is caused by this) and you'll need to tend to this before you re-install. Clean as much up as possible and when you re-assembly you may have to make a plate for the bottom side to add reinforcement. (look for cracks around the holes). We like to use a thin rubber gasket between the header and the headlamp support when we re-assemble, it keeps down the possibility of further corrosion. (we use the centers from the door handle gaskets for this lol).

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-01-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Assembly Removal

Quick Reply: Headlight Assembly Removal