Hate To Part It Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:21 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Hate To Part It Out

General Announcement for All Interested.

I bought a 1972 Coupe which has a rotten frame and bird cage rot as well so I am going to part the car out and offer the parts for sale here on the forum. The car is in my garage and just arrived so it will take a little time to get it set up and staged to part it out.

This car has many good parts on it and I will make them all available as long as the condition is good enough to sell. I will list the parts along with asking price in an extensive posting so please stay tuned in the parts area if you are looking for original 1972 parts.

Car color is Silver Pewter, coupe.
Car interior is Black.
Car is a 350/270 engine with automatic transmission.
Car has 117,000 miles on it.

Posting coming soon in the parts for sale area.

Thank you.

David Howard
Old 02-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I need a front left grille, what are you charging and what shape is it in?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:17 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Brandons72vette
I need a front left grille, what are you charging and what shape is it in?
Brandon, thanks for your note. I am not putting sale items on the C3 General area, they will all be offered on the C3 Parts Wanted/For Sale area when I have them inventoried and ready to go.

The post will start next week and the front grilles will be part of the first postings to go out there because they are already off the car. Stay tuned and thanks for your interest.

David Howard
AllC34Me
Old 02-28-2015, 05:29 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Frames can be replaced and birdcages can be repaired. It's a shame to see a chrome bumper car being chopped up for parts unless it's been in a bad crash. They aren't making them anymore.

Rick B.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:33 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Well I appreciate your comments and I agree with some of what you say. Having had to repair the frame and birdcage on Sparty I can tell you that once you head down that path you will have much more into the car than you will ever get out of the car in value. This would be a great car for someone to restore, if they have the skill and the desire.
I do agree they don't build them anymore, and hopefully these parts will help others and their cars to put them and keep them on the road.
Best regards,
David
Old 02-28-2015, 06:04 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
Frames can be replaced and birdcages can be repaired. It's a shame to see a chrome bumper car being chopped up for parts unless it's been in a bad crash. They aren't making them anymore.

Rick B.
I can get behind that. I also understand that some must die so that the others may live. Good original parts are hard to find and in most cases the repros just don't cut it.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Yeah, me too, support that when possible the cars should be salvaged and put back into service. When the window frame of the birdcage was rotten on my 1971 restoration (nicknamed Sparty) I know it set me back about $5,000 US to put it back together. What I would not do is patch it, I wanted it repaired, and that took time and money. If someone has that skill, and really has the love of the car and wants to have an original one then they should have bought this one and restored it. No one stepped up unfortunately, to restore it. Now I have the opportunity to repurpose as much of it as I can, an awesome obligation and responsibility which I will do carefully. I don't chop cars up and I don't make a hobby or living parting cars out. I did find a new home for a nice ZZ4 motor, a TKO transmission, a 76 rolling chassis previously (now sitting under a nice 77). I married the 76 body to a 77 chassis and it has a new home as well. If you cannot restore them, repurpose them, at least that is where I am today.

These are the three I am working with today. All three will give new life to some old Corvettes and I feel pretty good about that.

Name:  15108518454_74308e4dd4_c.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  111.0 KB
Name:  IMG_3346 (800x600).jpg
Views: 250
Size:  369.1 KB
Name:  16566648686_e200c92c1b_z.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  96.2 KB

Donor parts are the best when original parts are not available or shot.
Thanks for your comments, good to see what Corvette folks are thinking.

David
Old 03-01-2015, 12:06 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

A C3 with a 'patched-up' frame and birdcage will be structurally sound and will still sell quite easily. But, you may get more total $$$ by parting it out. However, you need to consider the amount of time and grief spent in administering the removal of parts, making each sale, boxing parts up and sending them to who-knows-where. Oh, and don't exclude the dissatisfied buyers (for whatever reason) that want to return the parts, requiring you to do that all over again.

I just don't see how someone parting a car out can make it pay, unless they already work at a salvage yard or salvaged parts place.

The 'high-demand' parts will go rather quickly; but the rest of them may lay around for years, before you get it all cleared away.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-01-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:39 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
A C3 with a 'patched-up' frame and birdcage will be structurally sound and will still sell quite easily. But, you may get more total $$$ by parting it out. However, you need to consider the amount of time and grief spent in administering the removal of parts, making each sale, boxing parts up and sending them to who-knows-where. Oh, and don't exclude the dissatisfied buyers (for whatever reason) that want to return the parts, requiring you to do that all over again.

I just don't see how someone parting a car out can make it pay, unless they already work at a salvage yard or salvaged parts place.

The 'high-demand' parts will go rather quickly; but the rest of them may lay around for years, before you get it all cleared away.
I can assure you that there will be NO parts lying around for years. What doesn't sell will either get donated come Christmas or pitched.
Actually removing parts can be quite therapeutic and as for people that buy these parts and want refunds, I will cover that in my sales but when dealing with used parts, what you see is what you get.
All in all it has been a rewarding experience, especially when you are retired and love helping other people.
Best regards,
David
Old 03-01-2015, 12:52 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Parting Out

Very Interested in a few brake line clips that run along the driver's side frame rail. Hopefully there are one or two in nice shape.

Hope I am not being premature since you will be listing parts on parts for sale.

Thanks,

Bill 301-440-0838
Old 03-01-2015, 01:17 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 1974ta
Very Interested in a few brake line clips that run along the driver's side frame rail. Hopefully there are one or two in nice shape.

Hope I am not being premature since you will be listing parts on parts for sale.

Thanks,

Bill 301-440-0838
Bill,
There are two styles of clips used on the brake lines, one is a single, the other is a double style. Which style do you need? I have a bag of those here and no need to sell them, be glad to ship you a couple of them if you need them.

PM me your address and which style you need and I will get them out to you.

Best regards,

David
Old 03-01-2015, 03:29 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

David, I would like to know if I can buy the two wiring harnesses for the front cornering lamps and front signals on that 80. Putting serviceable original parts for these cars back into circulation is never a bad thing.

Last edited by persuader; 03-01-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:44 PM
AF_Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car is an early 72, put me on your list for the seatbelt warning timer if it is still there.

Thanks

Vito
Old 03-01-2015, 03:58 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by AF_Vette
If your car is an early 72, put me on your list for the seatbelt warning timer if it is still there.

Thanks

Vito
The 72 Coupe was built in July 72, a very late model 72. Sorry.
David
Old 03-01-2015, 04:24 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Originally Posted by 1974ta

Thanks,

Bill 301-440-0838
Originally Posted by AllC34Me
Bill,
There are two styles of clips used on the brake lines, one is a single, the other is a double style. Which style do you need? I have a bag of those here and no need to sell them, be glad to ship you a couple of them if you need them.

PM me your address and which style you need and I will get them out to you.

Best regards,

David
Originally Posted by persuader
David, I would like to know if I can buy the two wiring harnesses for the front cornering lamps and front signals on that 80. Putting serviceable original parts for these cars back into circulation is never a bad thing.
Originally Posted by AF_Vette

Thanks

Vito
Guys, we cannot run a part out thread in the general section. Either send the OP a PM or look for the listing in the Parts For Sale section, thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Hate To Part It Out

Quick Reply: Hate To Part It Out