Sponsored by:

My 1972 Base car restore begins.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

5-28-16 update...

Its been awhile now but I have totally reorganized my shop. Too much junk in the way. I built a mezzanine and stored all corvette parts, ducati parts, Porsche parts, vespa parts, triumph parts, fiat parts.....gees. All the heavy stuff in on the floor level. I moved the lift to the corner as I think it will be better there. As having to walk around and under it when it was just inside door. Anyway...I think all I have now is to organize the peg board and I am back to sanding a car.
Attached Images        
Old 05-28-2016, 05:54 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean_Fuller
5-28-16 update...

Its been awhile now but I have totally reorganized my shop. Too much junk in the way. I built a mezzanine and stored all corvette parts, ducati parts, Porsche parts, vespa parts, triumph parts, fiat parts.....gees. All the heavy stuff in on the floor level. I moved the lift to the corner as I think it will be better there. As having to walk around and under it when it was just inside door. Anyway...I think all I have now is to organize the peg board and I am back to sanding a car.
Your shop looks great, Dean. Almost too nice to sand in.
Have you thought about fabricating a temporary sanding booth to help contain the dust?
Old 05-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

I push the body outside to sand but that may be a good idea. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:43 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

I push the body outside to sand but that may be a good idea. Thanks.
Hi Dean, the shop looks great. I was wondering if you could tell me the size. I was planning a 30x40 metal building when I get to florida. Oh how high also;
Thank You
RVZIO
Old 05-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Originally Posted by rvzio
Hi Dean, the shop looks great. I was wondering if you could tell me the size. I was planning a 30x40 metal building when I get to florida. Oh how high also;
Thank You
RVZIO
Hi Roger...this is a 50 x 50 with a 14 EH. A 30 x 40 would be great if you don't have all the junk I have to store along with car and bike stuff. I think also you could get by with a 12'-0 eh if you are planning a lift.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Roger...this is a 50 x 50 with a 14 EH. A 30 x 40 would be great if you don't have all the junk I have to store along with car and bike stuff. I think also you could get by with a 12'-0 eh if you are planning a lift.
Thanks Dean, yes I do want a lift and enough room for 3 cars and yes some stuff. Might go a little bigger maybe 40x40x12.
Thanks for that. Your place looks great.
RVZIO
Old 05-29-2016, 10:41 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Roger...It is amazing how fast a large shop gets full. With a lift you will need "room to move around. Go as big as you can. 2 things that CAN NOT be too big. One is a shop and another is a TV. If its too tight then you will kick yourself...too big and well...you will not notice in a good way.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

6-5-16 update...
After pricing all new air conditioning parts I decided to go with VintageAir. Ordered the SureFit for 68 to 72 corvette small block. Mounted the new compressor today with all new brackets from Vintage Air. So far I am impressed. The belt alignment is spot on. Hope to get some more sanding done next weekend but not sure. Super Bike racing at Barber in Birmingham. I will see which wins out.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Dean_Fuller; 06-05-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:38 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Ac

Hi Dean, that AC unit looks pretty slick and should keep your cabin real cool. Very nice. I have been going back to your shop picture almost daily to see various things. Can't wait to get mine. Oh, one garage door centered???
RVZIO
Old 06-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Thanks Roger. My shop is a industrial area rental. I will build my own after my move as well. I am here helping with sick parents right now.

I have been a metal building draftsman for 38 years. I would recommend doors centered only in the end wall ( gabled wall ) . For design purposes the sidewalls are more important for bracing reasons. Also moving cars around I think. Metal building start to be cost effective at 35 plus feet wide. Narrower and wood might be cheaper. I will go metal myself. 50 wide allows you to park cars along each sidewall without crowding and leaving a gap to drive thru.

I would be happy to help you with your new garage...put you in contact with a good builder. Where your moving is obviously a coastal area so their codes are heavier as regards wind and uplift....no snow though which helps. Anyway...I would be happy to help in the design.

Mine, right now, has one 10 wide by 14 high overhead door.....It enough but if you go bigger you might want to think about 2 doors....one in each end wall for "drive thru". I am single and plan to have a garage big enough for 6 cars and 6 motorcycles.....I plan to wall a corner and live in it....no house.

Last edited by Dean_Fuller; 06-05-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Thanks Roger. My shop is a industrial area rental. I will build my own after my move as well. I am here helping with sick parents right now.

I have been a metal building draftsman for 38 years.
Draftsman here, too!
My career took me on a different path into the automotive industry where I'm now working as a process engineer at Nissan.
Once the spousal unit and I have an empty nest, I'm planning to downsize the house and upsize the shop.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Originally Posted by wendellp601
Draftsman here, too!
My career took me on a different path into the automotive industry where I'm now working as a process engineer at Nissan.
Once the spousal unit and I have an empty nest, I'm planning to downsize the house and upsize the shop.

Cool...stop by on your way to Oxford sometime...You have my cell right?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:50 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been a metal building draftsman for 38 years. I would recommend doors centered only in the end wall ( gabled wall ) . For design purposes the sidewalls are more important for bracing reasons. Also moving cars around I think. Metal building start to be cost effective at 35 plus feet wide. Narrower and wood might be cheaper. I will go metal myself. 50 wide allows you to park cars along each sidewall without crowding and leaving a gap to drive thru.

I would be happy to help you with your new garage...put you in contact with a good builder. Where your moving is obviously a coastal area so their codes are heavier as regards wind and uplift....no snow though which helps. Anyway...I would be happy to help in the design.

Mine, right now, has one 10 wide by 14 high overhead door.....It enough but if you go bigger you might want to think about 2 doors....one in each end wall for "drive thru". I am single and plan to have a garage big enough for 6 cars and 6 motorcycles.....I plan to wall a corner and live in it....no house.
Thank you for that information Dean. Now I am at 30x50 from Allied Steel near me in New Smyrna Beach Fl. Maybe doors at both ends can help with air flow. No, no snow. I think this size would be enough for me to have a nice place to work and stor a car or two. Will continue to bounce things off you. Know anything about Allied Steel or anyone else?
RVZIO
Old 06-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

I will look and get back to you. You may want to price a 60 long as that could be 3 bays at 20. A 2 bay building from a design standpoint is expensive. Try to work with at least 3 bays to get your best bang for your dollar.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Cool...stop by on your way to Oxford sometime...You have my cell right?
Yessir, I have it.
We'll be moving the firstborn back into school this fall for her sophomore year. I'll have to plan a side trip through your town.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Allied Steel appears to be a broker. They are a middle man ( nothing wrong with that ) and buy a building from a manufacturer and resells to the public.

Try "American buildings Company" out of Eufaula, Alabama. They will have a dealer in your area that can give you a price and handle the deal. They are a major manufacturer and not that far from your new home. Freight will be an issue if you buy from some.

http://www.americanbuildings.com/Loc...etail?md_id=SP
Old 06-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Roger....what is your plan on how the cars and lift will fit?? Can you upload a drawing? The 4 post lifts are LARGE ...even the smaller ones.

Get notified of new replies

To My 1972 Base car restore begins.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

8-21-16

Not much has been worked on. New parts are piling up so that is good. Talked to DUB on the phone a few days ago and will be sending mine to him to finish. I will need to paint motor bay Hot rod black so the body will go back on frame...maybe for the last time.

In the meanwhile I picked up a 1970 that is drivable now...I am sure it will help as a reference car when the 72 goes back together...That's what I am telling myself.
Nothing special on the 70...base motor with auto. Main numbers match. May do a restore on that one when the 72 is finished. I think I have a vette problem
Attached Images   
Old 08-21-2016, 10:39 PM
72 Project
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your thread is an inspiration. I am in the planning, acquiring information and parts stage now.

If you don't mind me asking, what did dipping the frame cost? This is the closest place, to Dallas/Fort Worth, to dip the frame I have heard of.

Thanks

Jim
Old 08-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Frame and all suspension parts were $900 if I remember correctly. Thanks for the comment and I wish you well with your restoration.

Quick Reply: My 1972 Base car restore begins.