Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to vent.!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 PM
news2me
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like something from CANDID CAMERA... some of you guys may be to young to remember that show...
Old 03-02-2015, 10:13 PM
VetteMarshal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I do not compare humans to objects...I want the best for my step daughter but lets say a fellow who knows about my kit car, a no nonsense buyer offered me a fair going rate but said he planned to destroy it for some reason or another, I would take his offer, and buy some parts for my 69.
I am far from cold hearted or not sentimental, but I did learn sentimental value has no monetary value except perhaps the owner/seller, in fact if I see an ad that tries much at all to play on heart strings I move on,
A great example is Myth busters, they ruined a great c4 corvette by letting a pig rot in it, the owner even said he wasn't happy about the use of the car, but guess what he did sell it to them and did get his asking price that was high, if he held our for the "right" buyer he might have taken a hit on the price, sorry, my pride and ego isn't that big to tell some buyer they can't have it....no soup for you...lol.
In my case if I have some object that I care what happens to it, that item simply isn't for sale, now, perhaps ever, what happens to it after I am gone doesn't matter to me.

I should add my way of thinking and doing sales is flawed,
Example, a month or so back I listed a custom tilt front clip on my local CL,
I get lots of hits and one the buyer had to let me know that "she" was a seasoned vette person working on them over 45 years and would come "look" at the custom front clip and then make an offer as to what it is worth,
The irony was I listed it 75.00,
I had covered things in my ad like, ask questions, and I already had good pictures, I also said "firm", so you see what she was about, my simple asking her in reply to ask me deal breaker questions and what year corvette she desired to use it on fueled her to go on a multi email rant and cussing fit, calling me all kinds of names,
I sadly couldn't allow her to come "look" and make her "offer" so even I have limits.
Well, you got some points. I guess I would say there is a balance. I just sold the headlights and some seats from my vette and I don't care if the buyers burn them, but If I was to sell my car itself, I would not sell it to say, someone who matches the OP's buyers description.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I just hope the test drive you took him on went something like this....

Brian
Old 03-03-2015, 08:13 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I do not compare humans to objects...I want the best for my step daughter but lets say a fellow who knows about my kit car, a no nonsense buyer offered me a fair going rate but said he planned to destroy it for some reason or another, I would take his offer, and buy some parts for my 69.
I am far from cold hearted or not sentimental, but I did learn sentimental value has no monetary value except perhaps the owner/seller, in fact if I see an ad that tries much at all to play on heart strings I move on,
A great example is Myth busters, they ruined a great c4 corvette by letting a pig rot in it, the owner even said he wasn't happy about the use of the car, but guess what he did sell it to them and did get his asking price that was high, if he held our for the "right" buyer he might have taken a hit on the price, sorry, my pride and ego isn't that big to tell some buyer they can't have it....no soup for you...lol.
In my case if I have some object that I care what happens to it, that item simply isn't for sale, now, perhaps ever, what happens to it after I am gone doesn't matter to me.

I should add my way of thinking and doing sales is flawed,
Example, a month or so back I listed a custom tilt front clip on my local CL,
I get lots of hits and one the buyer had to let me know that "she" was a seasoned vette person working on them over 45 years and would come "look" at the custom front clip and then make an offer as to what it is worth,
The irony was I listed it 75.00,
I had covered things in my ad like, ask questions, and I already had good pictures, I also said "firm", so you see what she was about, my simple asking her in reply to ask me deal breaker questions and what year corvette she desired to use it on fueled her to go on a multi email rant and cussing fit, calling me all kinds of names,
I sadly couldn't allow her to come "look" and make her "offer" so even I have limits.
This is my belief. After some time I got to thinking about all the things I had and sold. And I came to the conclusion, The memories I made with them and my kids are worth more to me then the item itself. I had a Harley Classic Ulltra. Beautiful two tone chromed out from dealer. I sold it because every time I came home I had to take each of my three kids for a ride. At the time I didn't realize the fun they or I now was having. I then purchased a boat. Made GREAT memories with the whole family picnicking every tuesday on peanut island. Sold it, and have the vette. My wife and kids couldn't believe I was thinking of parting with it. But it also served its purpose. I taught my son how to handle a car in skids, took his driving test in it, My youngest came with me when I purchased it, and instantly named it "candy corn" on the way home. The car has done its job. Yeah I could keep it and let it collect dust, and then one of my kids will get it. But I'd rather sell it, let it make memories for someone else, and find a new item to use to have fun with. Just my 2 cents. But when it comes to a buyer that is that "slow" after the work I placed into it comes by. I'll pass. I can wait.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Maybe he thought it was too loud because the muffler bearings needed replaced.
Oh god, I remember using that line back in the day...." muffler bearings" lol That's too funny
Old 03-03-2015, 12:06 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick71
At least he showed up. The chumps that waste your time with false interest and then bail without so much as a courtesy call are the worst.

I agree with this.

Craigslist ads are the worst for the idiots who arent real buyers or fail to show up, which bugs me the most. Wasting time waiting for a no-show is irritating. If a guy is a tire kicker I might say "this car is probably not right for you" and not waste any more of my afternoon, but an awful lot of goofy people, including "Corvette experts" actually surprise you and bring money and buy cars.

In the old days I used to worry about how the next owner was going to take care of the car, but after a couple people who seemed cool wrecked the cars, I stopped worrying about that.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Wee
I just hope the test drive you took him on went something like this....

Jeff Gordon: Test Drive | Pepsi Max - YouTube

Brian
OMG, I pissed my pants laughing at this video. Thanks.

I can't believe the guy was 49 and brought his mother!!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:36 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Maybe he thought it was too loud because the muffler bearings needed replaced.
Originally Posted by Tooonz
Oh god, I remember using that line back in the day...." muffler bearings" lol That's too funny
Hey, you know they don't last forever!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:53 PM
macrohard
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tooonz
It could also have been the piston return spring...
Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I had a similar experience selling a '54 merc. this was an original car from kansas, only thing that had been done to it was rebuild the Y-block motor. needed new brakes (m/c was empty) and a few other little things.

A 20-something calls and wants to see it, says he wants a ratrod and this would be perfect. Sounded like one of those kids you see on the tv shows.

Shows up with parents and asks all kinds of stupid questions, how is it on gas, that kind of thing. Then wants to test drive it. I told him on the phone it had no breaks and that he couldn't test drive it in January in Michigan anyway. He says why not? I shake my head...I explain a few more things like it's 6v system, positive ground, when he says what does that mean, I finally told him to go home, you are not the buyer for this vehicle...

point is, some people have never been around cars and think they want a vette or ratrod or whatever and are totally clueless...too much tv...
Old 03-03-2015, 03:46 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Now this is a funny thread! Keep the muffler bearings coming.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

New muffler bearings are worth at least 100HP at the rear wheels. At least that's what the tuner told me when he replaced mine.

Rick B.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:30 PM
VetteMarshal
Instructor

If you do in fact need a new bearing, here's a pic to show placement on your vette:

Old 03-03-2015, 10:34 PM
VetteMarshal
Instructor

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=48

Here's a bargain.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:37 PM
VetteMarshal
Instructor

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t12107_ds434282

Don't forget to change the blinker fluid before you show the car again.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If the guy has the money and wants to meet your price, sell him the car. It's a funny story and the guy is odd, for sure, but the bottom line is you are trying to sell a car. Who cares about the personality or lack of knowledge of the next owner or what he may do with the car.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

If I'm listing anything for sale, I am over it, resigned myself of it/moved on-therefore could care less what someone else does with it (are all buyers truthful anyway?) . Out of site, out of mind mentality.
One thing I will say though, is some sellers, are just as bad as a lot of potential buyers.
If you are in the habit of selling and buying, you develop a sense of being able to sift thru all the BS, from the buyers as well as the sellers-quickly recognizing if the deal is right for you, or not.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:48 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by tokim
If I'm listing anything for sale, I am over it, resigned myself of it/moved on-therefore could care less what someone else does with it (are all buyers truthful anyway?) . Out of site, out of mind mentality.
One thing I will say though, is some sellers, are just as bad as a lot of potential buyers.
If you are in the habit of selling and buying, you develop a sense of being able to sift thru all the BS, from the buyers as well as the sellers-quickly recognizing if the deal is right for you, or not.

To look at me some would never take me for a gear head or being vette savvy so more times than I can count I have had some pompous arrogant vette owner belittle and condesend to me only to need their diaper changed when I let it be known I wasn't the novice they mistook me for...a seller like that can not be trusted about anything.

But going back to the op's front post I believe I missed something,
he said the fellow who came was a nerd to him, had mom with him bragged of his bikini girlfriends and asked what the op considered stupid questions,

Then in another thread I saw several members post that the 74-'s the plastic bumper cars when new were a hot item with the Chuck Barris, tacky gold metal disco love god crowd, so in that wouldn't the fellow who came to see the op's car just be todays version of that same cat?

Quick Reply: Need to vent.!