Sponsored by:

77 AC heater control question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:45 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 77 AC heater control question

I don't have quick access to my service manual for my 77. The face plate of the climate controls have come loose and sagged down from the console. How do those controls attach to the counsole top? I think I will get new controls as I have had trouble getting the air to blow correctly. A long time ago I traced the issue to the selector on the control so I am sure it has gone bad again, but I cant remember how it all ties together.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:51 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

There are screws that come up from the bottom and hold the controls to the console plate.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Ok, now to figure out how to get the counsole top off. It is sure different than my 72. Shouldn't have to work on a 11,000 mile car. Maybe chevy would warranty it.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

You will have to remove both side panels, then you can make out the screws under the heat control.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The plastic of the console plate on my car dried out and cracked years ago. Tried repairing with super glue. Gave up and replaced the plate with a NOS GM piece from EBAY. Original screws that attach window switches and A/C controls are phillips head. I replaced them with 1/4" head so I could use a small ratchet and socket or open end wrenches to remove them in the future. The easiest way to remove the console plate is to remove the E-brake cushion and slide the plate to the rear. There are two screws that attach the gauge cluster housing to the console plate. I would like to see pics. of your car. I can help with most things on original '77s. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 03-04-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by SWO vette
...now to figure out how to get the counsole top off...
The AIM helps.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
The AIM helps.
Really, never would have thought that. As I said I was looking for a quick answer as I did not have immediate access to my manuals. As reading with the AIM would help so would reading the entire post first.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:31 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by mds3013
The plastic of the console plate on my car dried out and cracked years ago. Tried repairing with super glue. Gave up and replaced the plate with a NOS GM piece from EBAY. Original screws that attach window switches and A/C controls are phillips head. I replaced them with 1/4" head so I could use a small ratchet and socket or open end wrenches to remove them in the future. The easiest way to remove the console plate is to remove the E-brake cushion and slide the plate to the rear. There are two screws that attach the gauge cluster housing to the console plate. I would like to see pics. of your car. I can help with most things on original '77s. mike...
Thank you. Appreciate it. Everything is iced over and I don't want to drive to my downtown shop to get the manuals. The car is in the garage at my house. I think I will replace the control unit as it has some issues as well. Again, thank you for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To 77 AC heater control question

Quick Reply: 77 AC heater control question