Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Transporter Recommendations

Old 03-03-2015, 07:29 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Enclosed Transporter Recommendations

A friend of mine just bought a '72 coupe, and he's looking for recommendations on which carrier to use to transport it from Jonesboro Arkansas to Lena, Illinois.

Please let me know any specific recommendations - both positive and negative.

I've seen Reliable Carriers advertised on the Mecum Auction programs, but that's about all I know, so I'm not much help to him. He found a company called Enclosed Vehicle Transport, but I don't know anything about them, either.

Any other advice regarding what to do when planning a car shipment would be appreciated as well!

Thanks,
Steven
Old 03-03-2015, 11:43 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe this topic has come up several times here on the forum. You can do a search and come up with a few threads. Below is one example. Hope it helps some...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-companys.html
Old 03-04-2015, 12:55 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

You have 2 options.
1. use one of the big outfits that own their own trucks like reliable or intercity. They are expensive but tend to be very professional.
2. use a broker service, there are alot of them and they use various owner/operators. They tend to be anywhere from just as professional to down right criminal.
I've always used the second option and if there is one thing I've learned its to NEVER use the broker that gives you the lowest bid. Reason is that, when the brokers post the job on the "board" for the owner/operators to bid on a low offer will most likely be ignored. IF a driver is in the area of your pick up and IF they happen to have space for your car they MAY pick it up but most likely your car will sit for what will seem like a eternity to you waiting a driver desperate enough to take the job at such a low price. On the other hand, if the broker puts a reasonable offer up on the "board" in the first place the drivers will make a route specifically with your pick-up in mind and it will be picked up in a decent amount of time.

Had my 68 shipped from Tenn to Cali about a year ago and had a good experience with a broker, cant remember the name but can try to find the receipt if you'd like.

Last edited by dugsgms74; 03-04-2015 at 12:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

This is the start of car transporters busy time of year since snowbirds are starting the process of returning north for spring and shipping their cars home. Whatever you are quoted for delivery date, add four weeks to it. If your friend is not in a rush, that may be fine, but don't set any realistic expectations that the car will be picked up or delivered as quoted. Thomas Sunday screwed me over and the owner hid like a naughty little girl! And is why I always tell people not to use them. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 PM
ShakinJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option, which I used, is uShip https://www.uship.com/. It's a shipping board like the brokers use that is run by eBay. You list your shipment and haulers and brokers can bid on it. They (uShip) provide an escrow service, a review system like the eBay system, initial communication services, etc. It's worth a look... I had several bids to haul my car from Ohio to Wisconsin and was mostly happy with the service I received.

Get notified of new replies

To Enclosed Transporter Recommendations

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Enclosed Transporter Recommendations