78 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:51 PM
aiming
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 78 4 speed

Hey all,
going to look @ my first C3. New to Corvettes. Any help with what I should looking for, good or bad?
Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 03:24 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

would be easier if you posted pictures of the car here covering engine, underside of the car, etc. Otherwise you have to determine things like how much is original to the car, original engine, transmission etc and be able to confirm that they are. Check for frame rust and damage. Does everything work, climate control, headlights, radio, etc. Body damage was there an accident in the cars history and how well was it repaired. You should try and find a local Corvette club who has someone willing to go with you.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Take pictures of or document what is on the Trim Tag, VIN, and Engine Stamp Pad.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 PM
aiming
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MelWff
would be easier if you posted pictures of the car here covering engine, underside of the car, etc. Otherwise you have to determine things like how much is original to the car, original engine, transmission etc and be able to confirm that they are. Check for frame rust and damage. Does everything work, climate control, headlights, radio, etc. Body damage was there an accident in the cars history and how well was it repaired. You should try and find a local Corvette club who has someone willing to go with you.
Good advice, Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 PM
aiming
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Revi
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Take pictures of or document what is on the Trim Tag, VIN, and Engine Stamp Pad.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 04:54 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

If you are looking for some info/numbers:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...1978/78id.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...78/78prod.html

They produced about 8000 4spd of which 3385 were close ratio.

good luck.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:18 PM
aiming
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by karol
If you are looking for some info/numbers:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...1978/78id.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...78/78prod.html
Thank you
They produced about 8000 4spd of which 3385 were close ratio.

good luck.
That's big help!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:11 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by aiming
Hey all,
going to look @ my first C3. New to Corvettes. Any help with what I should looking for, good or bad?
Thanks
Your title suggests you will be looking at a 78 four-speed. Know that the L48 motor was equipped in 1978 with a cast iron Muncie four-speed while the L82 was equipped with the Borg Warner alumnimum box four-speed.

The difference: Parts!
Old 03-06-2015, 07:31 AM
78L82
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a '78 L82 with a close ratio super T10 4 spd. Very fun car. It was running and driving when I bought it for $8,000. I put 3,000 mi. on it last summer and had a ball. I have since repaired the frame, rebuilt the suspension and rear end, replaced the brake system, and multiple other projects. I'm currently finishing stripping all the paint off and will be pulling the motor to be rebuilt to 400hp/400 ft.lbs. when it goes to get painted later this month. I currently have $27K in it (not counting my labor) and will have about $35,000 when finished. I'm guessing resale value would be about $15,000 so it's NOT an investment. However, I've totally enjoyed the process and it should be stone cold reliable when I'm finished. I plan to drive it until I'm too old to use the clutch and then give it to one of the grand kids who seems interested. The '78 is a really fine choice--easily "rodded" to get better than earlier shark performance w/out the initial purchase cost. The fastback styling allows enough luggage room for my wife and I to take week long trips. I will warn you though, you will get LOTS of people wanting to stop and talk to you about your car
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 AM
aiming
Heel & Toe

Default L48

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Your title suggests you will be looking at a 78 four-speed. Know that the L48 motor was equipped in 1978 with a cast iron Muncie four-speed while the L82 was equipped with the Borg Warner alumnimum box four-speed.

The difference: Parts!
it is L48. Has repaint ,correct color. Not a bad repaint. Solid frame/cage. Interior needs minor work. Weak HP, 85k untouched motor. See how owner feels in week or so if not sold. Thanks for all's help.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:17 AM
aiming
Heel & Toe

Default nice

Originally Posted by 78L82
I have a '78 L82 with a close ratio super T10 4 spd. Very fun car. It was running and driving when I bought it for $8,000. I put 3,000 mi. on it last summer and had a ball. I have since repaired the frame, rebuilt the suspension and rear end, replaced the brake system, and multiple other projects. I'm currently finishing stripping all the paint off and will be pulling the motor to be rebuilt to 400hp/400 ft.lbs. when it goes to get painted later this month. I currently have $27K in it (not counting my labor) and will have about $35,000 when finished. I'm guessing resale value would be about $15,000 so it's NOT an investment. However, I've totally enjoyed the process and it should be stone cold reliable when I'm finished. I plan to drive it until I'm too old to use the clutch and then give it to one of the grand kids who seems interested. The '78 is a really fine choice--easily "rodded" to get better than earlier shark performance w/out the initial purchase cost. The fastback styling allows enough luggage room for my wife and I to take week long trips. I will warn you though, you will get LOTS of people wanting to stop and talk to you about your car
whatever I purchase, will not be a garage queen.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 4 speed

Quick Reply: 78 4 speed