Sponsored by:

Painting 75 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Asce
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting 75 Stingray

So I'm getting to the point of looking for primers, base coats, and clear paint. I'm in love with the House of Color tangelo pearl PBC32. I went down to the local paint store to get a quote and she said that they can mix it and that they spray a main layer of white clear and then a tinted clearcoat/transparent coat over that and then just shoot a clear over that. She said to mix the reduced to a ratio of 1.1 with the paint and that I should have about 3 quarts of each before the reduced is added, which comes out to 1 1/2 gallons of base and tinted clear coat. They use PPG and the low grade is $149.97 for the base and $389.97 for the tinted clear. Total of $579.76, my question is how come I couldn't use a metallic white primer, then tangelo base coat, with 2 layers of pearl clear, and 2 layers of clear over that. Wouldn't that be cheaper and result in the same thing? Also do I need that much paint? Seems like 3 gallons on the base and half of the clear is a lot of paint, not even including the primer and extra 2 coats of clear over the tinted clear.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:57 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

That would be a great question to post in this section:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body-138/

Quick Reply: Painting 75 Stingray