Sponsored by:

78 Brake Booster

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:30 PM
georgiaboy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 78 Brake Booster

I have replaced everything in my brake system but the booster and still do not have a good pedal. Bled it numerous times. Really think I have all the air out and am now wondering if I have a problem with the rod being too short in the brake booster. Read another thread about this and am wondering which rod is it. The one from the pedal or the one from the booster to the master cylinder, Replaced the booster a few years ago and I really don't know if I have ever had as much pedal as I would like. A recent post said they could only solve the problem by buying the booster that had the master cylinder already attached, Thoughts ............
Old 03-13-2015, 08:57 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Brakes were OK before all the work? You can take the master loose from the booster and measure the push rod from the mounting point. Then measure the depth of the master from mounting point.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by 74modified
Brakes were OK before all the work? You can take the master loose from the booster and measure the push rod from the mounting point. Then measure the depth of the master from mounting point.
True.

Also....if you do happen to adjust the rod so that it is even slightly too long, the brakes will get very sensitive/"grabby" provided all other components are working correctly.

Also.....sometimes it is very difficult to get ALL the air out of the system.....if the booster and master cylinder are working correctly chances are there is still air in the system if the pedal never gets firm.

I dealt with the above problems for a week on my '68 project.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Brake Booster

Quick Reply: 78 Brake Booster