C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral safety / reverse lockout / parking brake sensors?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:07 PM
BDoc
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Neutral safety / reverse lockout / parking brake sensors?

Hey all,

Just wrapping up my auto to manual conversion and new engine drop. I'm having an issue with something locking out the ignition, though, which I think is the neutral safety or parking brake sensor.

Can anyone help me out with the exact wires that need to be shorted together? I'm on a 74.

Thanks a lot
Old 03-13-2015, 11:21 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

purple w/ white stripe, and solid purple wires.on auto NSS. should be under the console where the auto shifter was. jumper together.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:15 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you installed a switch on your clutch the engine will crank if you have it in gear without the clutch depressed and you turn the ignition to start once you jumper those wires. So be careful.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:31 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by speedreed8
purple w/ white stripe, and solid purple wires.on auto NSS. should be under the console where the auto shifter was. jumper together.

This is correct, and will work fine if you don't want a neutral safety switch in the circuit.

When I did the same conversion on my car, I found that the factory had the same 2 purple wires in a connector in the harness hanging near where the factory switch would be mounted on the pedal box. I simply bought the correct switch and connected it to those wires.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:54 PM
BDoc
Racer

Thanks all. I'm still having major problems on this. I'm so close to being done and now this!! I think it's really more of an over-all electrical problem. I lifted the body, swapped engines and transmissions, and now have no ignition on key-turn. I can hot-wire the starter and the engine runs fine.

I do have headlights and dash lights, but no gauge lights. Also, the whole right side of the fuse block is dead with no power, while the left side has 12v. Any thoughts?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:55 PM
BDoc
Racer

It would really be nice to have good detailed diagrams of the fuse block and steering console harness wiring, but what I read I can't make a ton of sense of. The steering console diagram I've seen doesn't even show an IGN. I puzzled at this point.. just trying to figure things out doing traces with continuity checks.

Get notified of new replies

To Neutral safety / reverse lockout / parking brake sensors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Neutral safety / reverse lockout / parking brake sensors?