Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge Sending Unit not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Steve's '73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Sending Unit not working

I’m trying to troubleshoot a fuel gauge problem, pegged at the 3 o’clock position. I downloaded the Willcox paper on the matter off of the Corvette Forum, thank you Willcox for putting that together. When I remove the tan wire from the sending unit and place the multimeter, red on peg and black on the ground with the ground wire connected, I’m getting a reading of 182k Ohms? I know the range is supposed to be between 0-90, any idea why I’m getting such a high reading? I grounded the tan wire and the gauge does reads empty, so the wire and gauge should be good. With the tan wire connected or off the gauge is pegged at 3 o’clock.

I also tried running a ground from the battery negative terminal straight to the ground on the sending unit to ensure the ground was good, no difference. I checked the float in the tank and it is sitting properly at the fuel level, about half a tank.

I’m using a Fluke 77 multimeter if that makes a difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Steve
Old 03-16-2015, 03:31 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Steve's '73
I’m trying to troubleshoot a fuel gauge problem, pegged at the 3 o’clock position. I downloaded the Willcox paper on the matter off of the Corvette Forum, thank you Willcox for putting that together. When I remove the tan wire from the sending unit and place the multimeter, red on peg and black on the ground with the ground wire connected, I’m getting a reading of 182k Ohms? I know the range is supposed to be between 0-90, any idea why I’m getting such a high reading? I grounded the tan wire and the gauge does reads empty, so the wire and gauge should be good. With the tan wire connected or off the gauge is pegged at 3 o’clock.

I also tried running a ground from the battery negative terminal straight to the ground on the sending unit to ensure the ground was good, no difference. I checked the float in the tank and it is sitting properly at the fuel level, about half a tank.

I’m using a Fluke 77 multimeter if that makes a difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Steve
If the gauge is pegged at the 3 o'clock rivet, then you have power and ground on the gauge... You are missing ohms input.

This will take you through all the different ways to diagnosis the issue.
http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=276

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-16-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:52 PM
idealele
2nd Gear

Default Same issues

Hi,
I am having the same issue as above on my '69 vette. If I am missing the ohms input, does that mean the sending unit is bad. Mine is pegged at the rivet with the ignition on or off. When I ground the ohms wire it reads empty. The gauge and wiring is good according to the website. How do I test the sending unit? Thanks for your great videos!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:11 PM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by idealele
Hi,
I am having the same issue as above on my '69 vette. If I am missing the ohms input, does that mean the sending unit is bad. Mine is pegged at the rivet with the ignition on or off. When I ground the ohms wire it reads empty. The gauge and wiring is good according to the website. How do I test the sending unit? Thanks for your great videos!
Take a look at this from Willcox:

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...it-testing.pdf
Old 09-27-2016, 07:21 PM
idealele
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Tom69
Thanks for the quick reply Tom69. I may be missing something on their website. I've looked at it several times and don't see anything on testing the sending unit or how to tell if it is bad. I've done all the test and it points to a missing ohms input. I guess that means the sending unit is bad.
Thanks!
Old 09-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by idealele
Thanks for the quick reply Tom69. I may be missing something on their website. I've looked at it several times and don't see anything on testing the sending unit or how to tell if it is bad. I've done all the test and it points to a missing ohms input. I guess that means the sending unit is bad.
Thanks!
The Willcox link (see post #4) explains the full troubleshooting procedure for both gauge and sender. Below is my recent post troubleshooting those components on my '69. Hope this helps.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html

Regards,
Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gauge Sending Unit not working

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Sending Unit not working