C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Registry

Old 03-24-2015, 06:37 AM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There would be some tiny blue arrows above the car information. I'll admit that the system is a bit clunky.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't see the upside. Some have said no downside? What if someone looks up your car and says it was stolen from them 30 years ago? The police knock on your door and take your car away. Also, how do you feel about somebody "harvesting" the data that is freely available on this database and selling it back to you or someone else perhaps when they are on a search for a long lost vehicle. This may not bother you, but it bugs me.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:15 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
...Do most members on CF put their C3 on the C3 Registry?...
How would anyone know? You say you have not; other folks have.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
There would be some tiny blue arrows above the car information. I'll admit that the system is a bit clunky.
Not seeing them anywhere.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PRNDL
I don't see the upside. Some have said no downside? What if someone looks up your car and says it was stolen from them 30 years ago? The police knock on your door and take your car away. Also, how do you feel about somebody "harvesting" the data that is freely available on this database and selling it back to you or someone else perhaps when they are on a search for a long lost vehicle. This may not bother you, but it bugs me.
Harboring a stolen car? I don't see any data that anyone would pay for on the registry. Just the vin and the color mostly. And you can't be forced to "buy back" any data. You should get together with the guy on C5 in Texas who covers his cars vin #s so they won't be stolen.

I'm over in Kannapolis, maybe I'll see you at one of the cruise-ins or shows around the area
Old 03-24-2015, 02:03 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Yes! I have three (2 '69s and a '75) listed on the C3 Registry. I also see no harm, and do see it as a benefit for those looking for previous owners, or their old corvette. I was once able to direct someone who was looking for their car (w/ VIN) to car's page on the C3 registry.

I do my part to make sure the data is correct as possible. I include the production date from the shipping report, the delivery dealer zone and code, all the verified options, and my personal info if someone does want to contact me about it specifically.

I also like to add detailed pictures of VIN stamps, engine stamps, build sheets, trim tags, etc.

I like to think I'm helping those who created the site, as I find the site a great resource.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:59 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You really need to move somewhere where you're not barricading the doors and looking over your shoulder so much.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:54 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

The police aren`t going to do anything unless the intended thief can PROVE he actually owned the car at one time, AND that it was really stolen.... like a copy of a police report detailing the theft. I seriously doubt they would even write a report on it, without some evidence that would hold up in court.
As for "harvesting" data, if I supplied the data to the website in the first place, what is there that a thief could possibly sell back to me?
I`m just trying to understand your concerns here.... I take my cars out cruising, and to shows without a second thought of somebody recording my VIN or tag number for derelict purposes. So what`s the difference if they see them on the street, or a web page?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:05 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which one is the "real" one? I just did a search and turned up 3 different ones
Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Does it get lonely under that tinfoil hat?

There is no way for the police to trace the car back to you as you give no personal information unless you choose to. As for your example, personally if I was harbouring a stolen car I'd want to know. That last thing I want to do is dump a bunch more money into a stolen car.

As for harvesting information the only data I can see that might be useful is to all C3 owners as a whole, for example a good estimate of how many LT-1's are still in existence.

Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:04 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Mine was listed already by vin# by PO.
I met him when I purchased car so no great revelation there.
I left it up for others to reference as BKVETTE3 said.
You never know when outta the blue you get a hit from a former owner
or family member.
I sold a military rifle years ago to another cop.
His family called me looking for some historical info on the rifle.
I was sad to hear he passed but I was flattered that they cared enough about the rifle to inquire.
You never know.
Marshal
Old 03-26-2015, 05:10 PM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Once upon a time I had both my C2, C3 and second gen Z28 listed in registries. I got a couple strange, nonsensical emails from someone looking at the C2.

I tried to edit the information in that registry so to hide my email and somehow deleted the whole entry.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Not seeing them anywhere.
That's because I'm an idiot, and they aren't blue. Here's a screenshot to help:

Old 03-26-2015, 08:43 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
That's because I'm an idiot, and they aren't blue. Here's a screenshot to help:

They don't show for me. I'm logged in on both c2 and c3 and neither car has the arrows. Both were on the registry when I bought them and I changed them to me, so I don't know why I don't see any arrows. Doesn't matter really, thanks for trying.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Which browsers are you guys using?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:35 AM
tmd442
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
Mine`s on there, but it was from the previous owner. I "created an account"... but still can`t figure out how to edit the information.
Same here, I tried a few times and finally gave up.
At least it's on there.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
How would anyone know? You say you have not; other folks have.
Simple statistics.

The percentage of cars listed on the registry is very small as compared to the number of members and cars here.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tmd442
Same here, I tried a few times and finally gave up.
At least it's on there.
If you want to modify anything, you have to PM the registry moderator to change the assigned name to yourself, then you can change the name, etc. If they let anyone modify anything they wanted, it would be a mess. The instructions are in the list on the left, I think it says "change owner" but don't remember for sure.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:34 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

I haven't & i can't see what the benefit would be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 Registry