Sponsored by:

Fiberglass bonding...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:59 AM
indianriverbound
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fiberglass bonding...

Just had my 76 soda blasted and ordered a set of L88 rear fender flares from Mid America to add some extra meat. Need to get some input on what the best adhesive would be to join the flares to the fiberglass body. Plan to reinforce with fiberglass mat underside but also need suggestions on what product would be the best filler for the topside in prep for primer and paint. I have been looking at the Evercoat Rage Extreme 120 but can find no info on fiberglass application. I have also been looking at the Duraglas Short Strand but am unsure of the finishing characteristics of this product. Whatever I use will have to be easily sandable for contour and have minimal shrinkage quality. Suggestions please....
Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 AM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Do a search for SUPRJAMES. Here is a link for his flare application but doesnt go into detail of what he used (i don't think). I haven't seen him on here for a while but maybe he lurks and will respond to a PM. He did a super job installing them. One of my faves on this site!!!

Terry

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-finished.html
Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Your 76 is SMC. What are your flares made of?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Here's some good info on SMC...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...ody-materials/

Make sure you use the right resin for SMC when bonding the panels.

Later,

Lee
Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I like Fusor products . They make good quality products for bonding all types of fiberglass including fiberglass to fiberglass and fiberglass to metal.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Hale584
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use 3M part number 08219. It's a 2 part epoxy. Down side is you have to buy the dispenser for it. It cost's around $80.00 but this stuff works.

Glen
Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 AM
indianriverbound
Advanced

Thanks for the responses, got my flares from Mid America yesterday and found some more good info. The flares are made to be rivited in place so I have decided to go with fiberglass mat top and bottom using Tigerhair for the rough in. The final finish will be with Rage Ultra. Both products work with regular fiberglass and SMC. Nice looking flares but not much to them for $350....law of supply and demand I guess...thanks again.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:44 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by indianriverbound
Thanks for the responses, got my flares from Mid America yesterday and found some more good info. The flares are made to be rivited in place so I have decided to go with fiberglass mat top and bottom using Tigerhair for the rough in. The final finish will be with Rage Ultra. Both products work with regular fiberglass and SMC. Nice looking flares but not much to them for $350....law of supply and demand I guess...thanks again.
Just a note of caution using rivets. Sometimes fiberglass and fillers swell over aluminum rivets in time such as can be seen on the front header panel in front of the hood on many C3 corvettes . I would still bond them on and forget the Tiger Hair as a filler.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:24 AM
indianriverbound
Advanced

Originally Posted by bj1k
Just a note of caution using rivets. Sometimes fiberglass and fillers swell over aluminum rivets in time such as can be seen on the front header panel in front of the hood on many C3 corvettes . I would still bond them on and forget the Tiger Hair as a filler.
You know I did notice that on the front of my vette but wasn't sure what it was....thank you
Old 03-28-2015, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Honestly....I would not even rivet them on. I have numerous clamps that would allow me to correctly position the flare and bond it on with an adhesive that does not require any gun to apply. The reason for this is that you will be dealing with a seam that you will laminate over or fill over. And using a 2 part epoxy....even though it works...it can cause the seam to shop up later when under direct sunlight. These new epoxy adhesives are mainly used UNDER a panel where there is NO exposed seam to contend with.

Can you rivet it on...or go buy really small screws and screw it on while bonding it in place....YES YOU CAN.....but the 'trick' is where you drill and screw the panels on...so you are not fighting with holes that you need to fill CORRECTLY and not have them come back on you later.

If you have already purchased the products you mentioned...OH WELL...because there are other products that I can confirm and SWEAR BY that will out perform what you mentioned.

If you are doing this...and riveting on the panel and bonding on ....just make sure you drill out the rivets when completed.

You are aware there is a 'PAINT and BODY' section here on the forum.

Hope all goes well in your project....because I have done this and other add on's many times over. Just trying to offer advice.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass bonding...

Quick Reply: Fiberglass bonding...