Questions about Putting a Modern LS7 in a '69

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Putting a Modern LS7 in a '69

Hi Everyone,
I am putting an LS7 in my 1969 which is completely taken apart and will be used for autocross and trips. I wanted to ask the experts a few questions:
- Can I use polyurethane motor mounts or will I have too many vibrations?
- What motor mount adapter plates do I want so the shifter from my T-56 Magnum comes out in the right place? I have read 1.25" is good? Can anyone confirm?
- Do the stock LS7 accessories fit/work with a C3 and Vintage Air controls?
- How do I convert my dry sump to a wet sump?
Thanks to anyone who can help. If you are a vendor, I would be interested in buying from you as well.

Name:  20150307_182948.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  609.7 KB

Name:  Flares.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  133.0 KB

-Adam
Old 03-27-2015, 04:51 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Hey Adam, hopefully I can at least point you in the right direction and some of the other guys will chime in. Yes you can use the poly mounts...I think most people are running Dirty Dingo sliders. That T-56 magnum is going to require some cutting and reshaping of the trans tunnel anyway because of its size. I think most guys running them are setting the engine where they want it and adjusting the tunnel accordingly. I also think most have had to fabricate a custom cover for the center console. If you google T-56 in a C3, you should be able to find some pics of what Im talking about. As far as the accessories, your best bet might be to go with the Holley LS accessories....I used them on my C10 LS swap and they worked great...with the vintage ac compressor....most complete instructions Ive ever seen on an aftermarket part and they're not terribly pricey compared to other, fancier options. As far as converting the dry sump to wet sump, Id give one of the site sponsor tuners a call, they can probably answer that question better than I can. Looking forward to watching the build! One last thing, do some research on the water pump outlets, they need to be moved to clear the upper control arm on the passenger side....theres a couple different ways to do it and I know the guys on here who have done the LS swap have some experience with it.

Good luck!!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Navy!

That's a great start. American Powertrain warned me about the clearance issues. My body guy isn't worried about shaving some fiberglass. I really appreciate the detailed response.

- USAFA c/o '07
Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I used solid mounts and a stock rubber trans mount, and not really an issue (to me) with vibration. You should do a lot of research before you start buying parts. Check all the threads on here. The Corvette accessory mounts should work as they are the closest to the block, but the stock low mount A/C will have problems. Most use a high passenger side A/C mount. I am running the TR6060 6 speed that the T56 Magnum is based off of. It is very large in the rear of the case. Yours is a little smaller, because the tail housing is changed out. I moved everything around (lower & rearward) to where I liked it, and then made mount plates to fit. I still had to cut the tunnel. I remember seeing someone changing to wet sump, and I think even listed the part numbers -it could have been a magazine article. Do some searches around that, and LS1tech - conversion and hybrids is also a good place to look. Good luck
Old 03-27-2015, 11:27 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Thanks, 74. That's great news about the mounts. I appreciate you chiming in.

-Adam
Old 03-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

All 3 mounts (2xengine 1x trans) are poly in my car. It feels fine. It's been almost 2 decades since I've had rubber on the car, and shortly after I got it a motor mount went bad and was replaced with poly... so it's really hard for me to say.

I certainly feel more engine vibrations in my 78 than any other car I've owned, but it's also the "cammiest" car I've owned.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here's the article- on converting to a wet sump- the LS7 actually made a few more horses converting to a wet system...

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...mp-conversion/
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Shark. It's great to know I won't feel too much with the poly. This makes me feel even better about getting it. This is a stock LS7 and I'll give a nice intake, headers, sidepipes, and a tune. That ought to be enough for now. They are supposed to have great street manners.

Thanks, Richard. I haven't considered the oil pump drag before reading that article. Go figure, huh?! We don't think anything short of a C6Z06 will benefit much from a dry sump. Even then, that's not a full dry sump.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:45 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Adam, cool project you've got going there!! I hadn't seen anything from you in a while, but I'm not on here as much as Ive been in the past. Keep us updated with your project. This will be a killer ride when you're done im sure.

Pete
Old 03-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm doing a LSX in my 73 frame off, One thing you will need to change is the tachometer, I put a 75 guts in my 73. You will also need to deal with the fuel system some put a fuel pump in the tank and some use external pump. I'm putting a 4L60e trans on mine so I can not help you much on that. You will need to modify your connections for your heater on the water pump. as they will be too close to your upper A Arm on the passenger side. I had to find a smaller power steering pump pulley as it hit the drivers side A Arm. I removed all the vacuum systems and converter everything to electric. here is a link if you want to take a look at some of the mode I have done.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...estration.html

Good Luck
Tim
Old 03-29-2015, 11:13 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

talk with josh, at custom image corvettes, he helped me out over the phone with my t56 install and other things I did .my t56 went right in my 69 vette, it comes right up in the stock location with the off set shifter from american powertrain.just had to cut a small hole in the trans tunnel for the shifter, and make a removable trans crossmember.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:19 PM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like a sweet build. I would consider doing heads before its in. Thread after thread on valve drop. Who knows but it may be a good mod since you are doing a few others anyway
Old 03-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Hey Pete!

Ya, I'm not on here much any more anyways.

I am actually storing the engine in Mechanicsville.

Do you want to come by when we put stuff on the engine?

Send me an email: adam@skyfoundry.com

-Adam
Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Hey Tim,

After much debate, I am going all Dakota Digital gauges. They have a direct C3 kit.

I might use the stock fuel tank and use an external pump that has the two pickups go down. Thanks for reminding me to write that down!

I will use a vintage air kit, so I do not know if the C6 hoses will work or not on the heater core.

I am going electric lights and electric windshield wiper door.

Great input, man!

-Adam
Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Rat,

It looks like other than shaving the fiberglass above the T-56, it will fit beautifully. Z069 assured me I can't mess up the shifter location.

-Adam
Old 03-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Good call, TJ,

I read about the Titanium valve issues. This is a late model LS7 - assuming they made changes? It only has 100 miles on it from the factory and has a warranty.

-Adam
Old 03-31-2015, 12:53 AM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Young69Owner
Hey Tim,

After much debate, I am going all Dakota Digital gauges. They have a direct C3 kit.

I might use the stock fuel tank and use an external pump that has the two pickups go down. Thanks for reminding me to write that down!

I will use a vintage air kit, so I do not know if the C6 hoses will work or not on the heater core.

I am going electric lights and electric windshield wiper door.

Great input, man!

-Adam
I'm using a vintage air also but where the heater water lines connect to the water pump are against the upper a frame on passenger side. a few ways to modify this.

Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about Putting a Modern LS7 in a '69

Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Hi Tim,

I can't imagine it's too bad rerouting those lines? Unfortunately, I'm not that far yet, so you may already have crested a hill I have yet to discover...

-Adam
Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Young69Owner
Hi Tim,

I can't imagine it's too bad rerouting those lines? Unfortunately, I'm not that far yet, so you may already have crested a hill I have yet to discover...

-Adam
Just pointing out that is needs to be addressed here's a picture on what i'm talking about.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:32 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Hi Tim,

Well, I'll be..! Is there a way to go 90 degrees from there or shave off those fittings a little?

-Adam

Quick Reply: Questions about Putting a Modern LS7 in a '69