Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Corvette Shopper Looking For Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 12:48 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info DDaaryl! If I do decide to go with a C3, I definitely want one that has as much power as possible :-) I'm still undecided on whether I would want it to be original or modified :-)
Old 03-29-2015, 12:54 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Thanks Shark Racer! Yes, born in 83 :-) I was afraid that I may be about the youngest on this forum; but, that hasn't entirely been the case :-) You really offered a lot of great info :-) I just love the look of the C3; but, I'm hoping to get behind the wheel of a C3 sometime soon so I can gauge if what it has will be enough for me or if I'd be happier looking at some later C4s :-)

Last edited by CarrieAnn83; 03-30-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Well, I'm an old 83 for what it's worth.

What kind of cars are you used to driving?
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM
rosros
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a C3, just traded a C4 Collectors Edition for a C6 Grand Sport. Each generation produced great cars. But after the C4, the gritty raw feeling has pretty much gave away to refined electronics. The C3 had the rawest sports car feel of the bunch and the pre '77 C3 has the best body lines. Had my 76 since 77. It has 44k miles on it, so it basically sat around a lot. Been super reliable, did not have to change out anything...still had the original tires in great condition. Always fired right up. Never did anything special but routine maintenance. Although by todays standards a little slow, it still was sneaky fast.

After nearly 40 years, decided to pay some addl respect to her.
gave her a complete make over cosmetically and gave her some more power.. 434 sbc. From a rolling start, she will run with any stock vette out there. The driving experience and the looks garnered supercede any later generation vettes. But then again, spent almost as much as the C6 to get her to this state.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the Carlisle option too... you will see perhaps hundreds of candidate cars in various states of refinement... you will also learn how far your budget will take you.

Originally Posted by 71scgc
You're in central PA.
Wait 'til August and go to Carlisle.
There will be plenty of cars for sale there, plus it's just a killer event for Corvette fans of all years.
3 days of Corvette overdose!!

Carter
Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Shark Racer, at the current time, I drive a manual transmission Saturn (for the fuel mileage), a Chrysler minivan (for the occupancy), occasionally a Dodge pickup and every summer a '78 Chevy Camper... lol. I am sure that just about any year Corvette will seem speedy in comparison... at least at first. I did have a fox body Mustang in high school... it wasn't amazing or anything; but, was cool at the time. I have also had a few Jeeps... whatever I drive, I almost always look for the biggest/fastest/most powerful engine available in that model and I plan to do the same with my Corvette shopping once I have narrowed it down to exactly what year(s) I am most interested in :-)

Last edited by CarrieAnn83; 03-29-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:52 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Thanks rosros! I have a feeling I won't be doing a whole lot of upgrading right at this time myself once I find the right Vette :-) It's great to know that they can last long enough for me to plan to do that down the road though :-)
Old 03-29-2015, 07:55 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Carl in LA, I guess I am pretty lucky to have that so close to me and, if you are able to visit from your location, I really have no excuse to not go this year :-) One year we were traveling toward the show the day the it ended and I was able to see a parade of Corvettes on the highway. Another year, I saw a big group traveling to the show. Honestly, no other parade compares :-) Actually going to the show would be even better. No better way to take a look at what's available and really start to make my wish list :-)
Old 03-29-2015, 08:23 PM
learje
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i was shopping for my c3 there were only 3 dealbreakers...

frame rust...

birdcage rust...

poor paint....

these 3 issues cost tons of time and money....all the other stuff including engine tranny or interior are cheap in comparison. buy the best car you can afford. but dont buy anything w frame or birdcage rust. search here for the telltale signs. have someone nearby look potential purchases over if your not comfortable. seems a driver quality paint job can go from 5 to 10k, depending on the prep needed...im in frederick if u come down this way to look for a car. KevinG on the forum is selling a fantastic car here in FDK. u may want to pm him, ask if you can see it. its listed in the for sale section
Old 03-29-2015, 10:14 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Thanks learje! Rust is definitely a deal breaker for me too... I know I haven't had a Corvette previously; but, did get burned with rust a couple of times so I try to avoid that at all costs. I will definitely have someone check it out because sometimes it is hard to see. Good to know about the paint job too. I was planning to price the job first if I found one in need of paint; but, may just be best to steer clear of that obstacle as well. I will probably want to make sure that I get one that was manufactured on the East Cost as I have heard the California paint isn't very good with all of the environmental laws there.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:11 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I was jealous of the kids who had fox-bodies in high school. They always seemed so fast - but every last one of them was modded. My grandma was very much against me doing anything to the car. Well, once I got older and got more money, that "kind of" changed.

The L-48 cars are going to be a little bit slower than a 5.0 Fox - less power, less torque, more weight.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:36 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Shark racer is younger than I am? damn, I feel old. LOL
Old 03-30-2015, 05:03 AM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Shark Racer, that Mustang was not modified in anyway... lol. If I remember correctly, I had to climb out of the window on the driver's side or across the seat to the passenger's side... So, you get the idea ;-) It was pretty quick though... especially for someone just starting out. Looking back, I honestly can't remember why I got rid of it. I really don't think I want to get into engine swapping with a Vette... at least not for a while. So, I think I'll be looking beyond the L-48 :-)

Last edited by CarrieAnn83; 03-30-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:55 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Purchase a couple of the Corvette history coffee table books and read through them. You'll learn something and get great color pics to boot.

Originally Posted by CarrieAnn83
Easy Mike I love the idea of picking up some books to look through whenever and I do love looking at pictures of Corvettes :-)
Check the C3 Parts for sale section, you never know what may be in there.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:00 AM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Thanks oldgto! What better place to find the highest quality reading material on this subject :-)
Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Carrie - you can make an L-48 pretty quick with external modifications alone. Headers, a good exhaust system and an ignition recurve will make the thing move pretty well. Best of all, the ignition tune only costs the same value of a nice lunch out and it will really wake the car up.

Originally Posted by qwank
Shark racer is younger than I am? damn, I feel old. LOL
Sorry!

I had just barely started driving when I joined the forum.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:39 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

You two are making me feel old. My 1st brand new car was an 1988 LX 5.0 that I ordered with no AC. I thought that was fast for the day. Down the line added headers and a Vortec A-Trim, much better but still slow compared to today. In high school I had a 1975 Camaro. Now that was SLOW.

After that I bought a 1995 Saleen S351R with a Vortech S-trim. That was fast but I never got around to getting it dynoed.

Throw in some Ford SHO 4 doors when I had kids I made my way back into a C5 Corvette. Not bad but after heads and cam it was much improved. Made 400HP at the wheels. Switched at a 2004 GTO and I made 560RWHP once I was done with it.

Sold that and bought a 1969 C3 Big Block. Felt pretty good on the press you into the seat because it was making 400RWTQ but only 330RWHP.

So depending on were you are coming from seat of pants feel is going to be different.
Unless you plan to keep it stock plan on some engine upgrades to the level you would like.

My Big block is getting stroked to 496 with a Straub roller cam and Edelbrock heads. I hop to make 500RWTQ once it's all done.

Get notified of new replies

To First Time Corvette Shopper Looking For Advice

Old 03-30-2015, 01:57 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Shark Racer, that is some really handy information to have :-) I think I could probably handle that. Thanks again for all the fantastic information!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:07 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Sorry for making you feel old ddawson :-) You certainly have had a nice collection through the years :-) I know I won't have the time or finances to make drastic changes for a few years at least; so, I know what you mean :-) That's why I really want to get something that I will be happy with as it is for at least a few years... Then maybe I will look into modifications... Although, I'm still torn as I am really into history and preserving things; so, not sure how I will feel about that... Guess it just depends on how much faster I feel I need to be able to go :-)
Old 03-31-2015, 09:18 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer

Sorry!

I had just barely started driving when I joined the forum.
It's only by 3 years, so I'm still right there with ya

Quick Reply: First Time Corvette Shopper Looking For Advice