Sponsored by:

First Time Corvette Shopper Looking For Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:22 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Corvette Shopper Looking For Advice

Hello all! I recently joined this forum and was hoping to pull from the enormous amount of knowledge available here. I have been obsessed with Corvettes for some time. The time is finally right for me to start looking to actually purchase one :-) But, I need some help...

Here is what I intend to use my Corvette for:

I want a nice looking Corvette that has the ability to "put you back" on takeoff. I don't intend to race it; but, really want it to have some power. I am not really intending to show it for the purpose of winning medals.... I may want to attend shows with it for fun though. The primary thing that I am thinking about in my search is that I want to drive it to work Spring through Fall every nice day that I have a chance.

I am currently considering a C3. I do have some reservations though.

I am concerned about the fiberglass body. As I mentioned, I want to thoroughly enjoy this Corvette and not just get it out once in a great while. Exactly how fragile are C3s? I also have read and been told that they are rather slow. What can anyone tell me about their speed? I would probably be looking at getting an L82. I have also heard that they are not very comfortable. Is this something that I would not want to drive 11 miles to work and 11 miles home up to 5 days a week?

Generally speaking, I am open to both manual and automatic transmissions. I am fully capable of driving a manual; however, think I may prefer an automatic; but, willing to consider either if there would be a benefit one way or another. I would want a T-Top. I am not looking to "collect" Corvettes so really want to find one that I am going to be happy with for years to come. I mean, I would love to; but, I don't have the time, storage and finances to do so. That would also entail not having more than normal maintenance issues, etc.

So, all that said, can anyone offer some suggestions to aide in my search? Or, would I be better off looking for a different generation that might suit my needs better?

Thank you very much in advance for your help :-)

Carrie
Old 03-27-2015, 10:02 PM
marc1973
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarrieAnn83
Hello all! I recently joined this forum and was hoping to pull from the enormous amount of knowledge available here. I have been obsessed with Corvettes for some time. The time is finally right for me to start looking to actually purchase one :-) But, I need some help...

Here is what I intend to use my Corvette for:

I want a nice looking Corvette that has the ability to "put you back" on takeoff. I don't intend to race it; but, really want it to have some power. I am not really intending to show it for the purpose of winning medals.... I may want to attend shows with it for fun though. The primary thing that I am thinking about in my search is that I want to drive it to work Spring through Fall every nice day that I have a chance.

I am currently considering a C3. I do have some reservations though.

I am concerned about the fiberglass body. As I mentioned, I want to thoroughly enjoy this Corvette and not just get it out once in a great while. Exactly how fragile are C3s? I also have read and been told that they are rather slow. What can anyone tell me about their speed? I would probably be looking at getting an L82. I have also heard that they are not very comfortable. Is this something that I would not want to drive 11 miles to work and 11 miles home up to 5 days a week?

Generally speaking, I am open to both manual and automatic transmissions. I am fully capable of driving a manual; however, think I may prefer an automatic; but, willing to consider either if there would be a benefit one way or another. I would want a T-Top. I am not looking to "collect" Corvettes so really want to find one that I am going to be happy with for years to come. I mean, I would love to; but, I don't have the time, storage and finances to do so. That would also entail not having more than normal maintenance issues, etc.

So, all that said, can anyone offer some suggestions to aide in my search? Or, would I be better off looking for a different generation that might suit my needs better?

Thank you very much in advance for your help :-)

Carrie
As far the affordable vettes go, for these cars if you want something fast from the get go don't get your hopes up they're quick at best but comparing to modern cars they're slow, don't be let down though sbcs are relatively cheap to get 400 hp,

With that said, buy the best vette you can with the money you have, if you live in a state with emission testing buy before 75, also yes the stock seat are uncomfortable after awhile but 11 miles is nothing , I wouldn't drive 50 in them though without a break, I just replaced my seats with zo6 seats and can drive forever now , and go manual even though these cars don't seem fast stock, the manual atleast makes It feel fast,

It's easy to make the vette you want just get a good start by buying a good foundation, and good luck with your search it took me alittle over a year to find my 73
Old 03-27-2015, 10:07 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Thanks marc1973! I do love the style of the C3s :-) I was starting to get discouraged that I can't seem to find the right one so it's good to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel :-)
Old 03-28-2015, 01:34 AM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A stock C3 will be slow, the fibeglass will sag with age, and it will be a relatively hard ride. With that said, I daily drive mine and have put about 20k miles on it in the past year or so. Depends on the person... the slow part can be easily fixed pending your budget and knowhow, the fiberglass... not so much. The hard ride... something you get used to unless you're old =P

Personally it was one of the best purchases I ever made. Your milage may vary. With these cars, you should be able to find something in decent condition with a beefed up engine. Just know what to look for and have an eye for bubba's work. The vast majority of them are automatics so you're good there, and I think the t-tops were a pretty popular option. There are a few books out there depicting the differences and evolution of the C3 generation so you can find out exactly what you want. One major thing, emissions laws changed sometime in the mid 70's, so if you live in a strict state, it could have a major effect on your purchasing decision.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:34 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

The chrome bumper ones, for the most part are fast cars [exclude the base models], the later c3 are the most comfortable, and the mid years ones are great building platforms. Watch the c3 section 'c3 for sale', there are a lot of later models that have modded engines that will give you that 'put you back'. Almost all of them are great looking cars. I'm 'RED' and I drive mine whenever the weather permits. Do remember that Corvettes are sports cars and no sports cars ride like a Cadillac. Best of luck in your search, then have fun customizing it for you. T
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 AM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Thanks KIKIRIKI! I love hearing that people actually drive the C3s. I often see C4s on the road; but, rarely C3s. I didn't know if there just weren't that many C3s in my area or if they were just all rarely broken out of the garage :-) I don't have emissions testing where I live in Central PA; so, at least I don't have to worry about that!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:20 AM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Thanks for summing it up terrys6t8roadster! It's hard to find that sort of advice anywhere else :-)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:42 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Buy the body style that you've ALWAYS admired!

Have a Corvette C3 owner (or the experts on this Forum) help you find a dependable car.

Sports car ride....buy KYB or equivalent shocks. Smooth ride....buy Monroe Sensa Tracs.

"Put you back".....a good mechanic can make your car do that in a day or two if the car has an original engine (but test drive the car/it may have the power that you want).
Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I am concerned about the fiberglass body...
You won't have a choice. Every Corvette ever built has been fiberglass. A few of the newer models incorporate carbon fiber panels. Purchase a couple of the Corvette history coffee table books and read through them. You'll learn something and get great color pics to boot.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 03-28-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:15 AM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I received your Thank you PM Carrie, from your post over in the C4 section, and you are quite welcome for the good read supporting some of the following.

Btw, Factory Stock C3, to Factory Stock C4, don't forget, fuel mileage on your later C4's, is very favorable, especially on the highways.

Should you desire an Automatic Transmission Vette, the stout first gear ratio in the C4 4 speed overdrive Automatic Transmissions (a/k/a an A4), will have them feel very peppy vs. the 3 speed non overdrive Automatic (a/k/a A3) in the C3 models*,
(*except for the last year C3 in 1982 when they switched over to the A4, along with what some here on our esteemed forum lovingly call the "Cease" Fire Injection. (a/k/a Cross Fire Injection).

Of course, if you don't mind a modded example, a mid year C3 makes for a real cool, classy, older school ride with a 700R (A4) transmission swap.
Especially behind a "383 stroker" (built up 350+)....though JMO.

Happy Hunting!

Old 03-28-2015, 10:23 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

You're in central PA.
Wait 'til August and go to Carlisle.
There will be plenty of cars for sale there, plus it's just a killer event for Corvette fans of all years.
3 days of Corvette overdose!!

Carter
Old 03-28-2015, 11:11 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Great advice, by all. You should consider too, that these cars (like many old cars) always needs something. You should have a good automotive shop lined up, that deals in vintage Muscle and Corvettes. Or, have good mechanical and electrical experience in working on older cars. It's best to buy the best C3 Corvette you can affford. $15k , gets you a tired early (67-72) C3, while that same amount will get you a very nice mid (73-77) or late (78-82) C3. When actually looking at C3's to buy, you should either bring somebody who's highly experienced in C3's or have it professionally inspected. These cars can have serious hidden rust problems.

And if you find C3's aren't going to meet need, the late C4's (92-96) are dirt cheap and are very capable, comfortable cars. I own both.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:32 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Thanks doorgunner. I can find beauty in pretty much every Corvette; but, I do believe there are some years that call to me more than others :-)
Old 03-28-2015, 02:34 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Easy Mike, I did read that they all (except for I think the very newest) did incorporate Fiberglass in some way... I sort of got the impression that starting with the later C4s the composite was just perhaps a little more durable? I love the idea of picking up some books to look through whenever and I do love looking at pictures of Corvettes :-)
Old 03-28-2015, 02:36 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

71scgc, I have been wanting to go to that show for years; but, there is always something else that needs to be taken care of... I think this year I will just commit to that no matter what :-) Honestly, that would probably be about my equivalent of Disney World :-)
Old 03-28-2015, 02:38 PM
CarrieAnn83
Advanced

Thanks F22! We actually very fortunate to have an excellent garage who's mechanics also have a great appreciation and knowledge for classic cars as well as sports cars :-) I am definitely looking for one with good service records... one with a known history and will want to have it checked out by someone as well. I don't want to make a mistake on this purchase :-)
Old 03-28-2015, 03:53 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

If you want a C3 that goes you want a 1968, 1969 or 1970. After that GM took the horsepower away and added smog equipment. After having four early C3's I bought a 1981 with automatic. It had under 200hp and was a slug so I eventually got a C4 and later a C5

Get notified of new replies

To First Time Corvette Shopper Looking For Advice

Old 03-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I did read that they all...incorporate Fiberglass in some way...
Keep reading. You're learning.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:05 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
The chrome bumper ones, for the most part are fast cars [exclude the base models], the later c3 are the most comfortable, and the mid years ones are great building platforms. Watch the c3 section 'c3 for sale', there are a lot of later models that have modded engines that will give you that 'put you back'. Almost all of them are great looking cars. I'm 'RED' and I drive mine whenever the weather permits. Do remember that Corvettes are sports cars and no sports cars ride like a Cadillac. Best of luck in your search, then have fun customizing it for you. T
EXCEPT FOR THE BASE MODEL!!! , all depends on who is driving it. Sorry I don't think so.
r
Old 03-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome. Born in 83? We're the same age, if so.

I've been driving my 78 since I first started driving. It started life as an L-48 and has had 3 "engine iterations" since then. The #7 connecting rod in the original engine was tired of playing by the rules and left its friends to try to find its own way in life. So the car got an off the shelf Goodwrench 350 which is basically a clone of the L-48. Same heads, same cam, slightly higher rated static CR but people debate this point.

I then installed a set of AFR heads and a mild cam. This upped the power but killed off-the-line torque.

Now, I'm running a 400ci small block with newer AFR heads and a roller cam. I'm finally happy.

Exactly how fragile are C3s? I also have read and been told that they are rather slow. What can anyone tell me about their speed? I would probably be looking at getting an L82. I have also heard that they are not very comfortable. Is this something that I would not want to drive 11 miles to work and 11 miles home up to 5 days a week?
I've heard things about hail storms, for the most part my C3's been pretty good. Comfort depends on the car. 78-82 'vettes will have the most amenities and feel the most like a modern car. The base model suspension cars ride very nicely. If you're under 6' tall they're roomy enough. It's a pain getting much more than a laptop bag or backpack in and out of them, but they did the trick for me when I was commuting 9 miles to/from school many, many years ago.

After having switched to more modern stuff, though, the 78 is rarely driven for commute purposes. Modern cars are a lot better.

Personal preference. If you can find a car that's already been converted to an overdrive (manual or automatic) that will overcome some of the shortcomings of these cars vs a modern car.

Like some have said, a C4 or even a C5 would be better. I owned a 2002 Corvette as my second daily driver and I think that was the happiest I'd ever been with a car: comfortable, excellent fuel mileage (for a V8), lots of power, handled great, lots of room for luggage, etc. I've since had "nicer" cars so it'd be hard for me to go back to a C5, but I definitely loved that thing. It definitely fulfilled the daily driver roll quite easily.

Quick Reply: First Time Corvette Shopper Looking For Advice