Sponsored by:

front coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:11 PM
rol51
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front coil springs

I ordered front coil springs from Ecklers stock # A6998 grand touring springs for small block,after i removed old springs from my 74 , the new ones are two coils shorter than the old ones, does this mean that the front end will be even lower than it already is? If it is Ill return them, what should i order to have original height?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your ride height will actually end up higher until the springs work themselves in after time! They are shorter to make installation easier, but, the spring rate is higher; the ride height ends up being stock once the weight is on them.

I have the same springs in a small block and the rate and height are perfect for me.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:01 PM
76vette1
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rol51
I ordered front coil springs from Ecklers stock # A6998 grand touring springs for small block,after i removed old springs from my 74 , the new ones are two coils shorter than the old ones, does this mean that the front end will be even lower than it already is? If it is Ill return them, what should i order to have original height?
I have them on my 76. I had to cut one coil off. Here is before and after.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:54 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by rol51
The original coil springs were much taller than the repro springs. The repro springs, when installed, should approximate the ride height of the factory stock. So everything should be OK. The repro spring's deflection per pounds per inch is more than the stock. The height of the original factory springs makes them much more difficult to install than the shorter repro springs.

Unfortunately, trimming springs to get the correct ride height with repro springs may be necessary. My ZZ4 engine with aluminum parts was much lighter than the stock 68 engine. I installed a VBP performance suspension, and I did the initial install of the coil springs. The nose stuck up in the air due to the extra light weight. Paid Guildstrand Motor sports to cut the front springs down. Happy to pay someone to do this for me!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:06 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm installing the 350 HO with cast iron heads. I already have the Grand Touring springs installed. I really hope I don't have to pull them out and cut them.

Get notified of new replies

To front coil springs

Quick Reply: front coil springs