Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this supposed to be like this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:31 PM
xDubzx
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this supposed to be like this?

1977 corvette pet peeve. As you can see below there's a bend on the center console cover because the the bottom HVAC cable control is pushing it up and it's bugging me if I can get it sit better. Where is it originally supposed to be to not have it pushing up on the cover? Thanks

Old 03-30-2015, 12:01 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

WHY did GM do that?

I spent an hour zip-tying all 4 cables under the dash and console of my '68 to get them out of the way/out of sight.

See how much you can safely bend and tie-wrap that cable so that it doesn't jamb against the side of the console.....you may have to put several ties a few inches apart to get a smooth bend without kinking the cable or breaking off the mounting tab.

Cinch a zip tie around the cable pulling it nearly tight....thread another zip tie through that zip tie....cinch the first zip tie very tight....attach the second zip tie to an area in the console that will pull the cable closer to the console controls. Do this technique in several places on the cable until it is no longer interfering with the console side-wall.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I don't see what you see, but the assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows the routing of the cables.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 03-30-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:57 AM
xDubzx
Cruising

I'm talking about the little crease going along the center console cover because the cable has been pushing against it for almost 40 years. Also is there a link to the instruction manual or do I have to buy it?

Whenever I ask the forums here for something everyone always points me to a book to buy unlike other car forums I noticed
Old 03-30-2015, 11:12 AM
VetteMarshal
Instructor

Originally Posted by xDubzx
I'm talking about the little crease going along the center console cover because the cable has been pushing against it for almost 40 years. Also is there a link to the instruction manual or do I have to buy it?

Whenever I ask the forums here for something everyone always points me to a book to buy unlike other car forums I noticed
On the contrary, people on this forum are always ready to help to the best of their ability. What we need is for you to describe what you need help with better. I agree with Mike, I do not see what you see. Maybe post a better picture with an arrow pointing to what you are talking about.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:13 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

That's because the AIM is a huge file of hundreds of pages, that nobody seems to want to host and is specific to each year. It's available on CD or paper (pick your poison, they both have their advantages/disadvantages).

Ditto for the FSM, or Factory Service Manual, the last of which was printed in 1974 and then updated with supplements. If you own a C3, you'd better have at least the AIM and the FSM as physical copies. They aren't that expensive, compared to the parts, that's for sure!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please see this list of recommended books to purchase. Many will pay for themselves after the first use. For me, the AIM and Service manuals both paid themselves in just days, and now almost a year later they are still constantly referenced when I'm out in the garage working.

We tell people to "read the manual", "get an AIM", etc because it's easier than transcribing here what it would say. And with the AIM, a picture is worth a thousand words, but if we posted those diagrams all the time it'd not be long until there'd be no need to buy the AIMs anymore: they'd all be online. Not exactly the best way to support our vendors, and probably not legal anyway. Also, if we direct you to the manual you'll likely read about things you didn't ask about thus expanding your knowledge even further.

We also suggest getting the books because you get instant answers to your questions. You read, you learn, you go back to the shop and wrench. If you rely solely on the forum you'll post and then wait, sometimes minutes, or hours... maybe days.... before getting your answer. The forum is a lot slower at responding in some cases.

F22 is right too: they aren't that expensive. However, slight correction: the only supplements are for 75 and 76. Those 2 are just supplements to the 74 manual. Every other year has it's own manual. You have a 77. Just buy the 77 service manual and AIM. They really are worth the money.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:52 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Are you talking about this little bulge right here?
Name:  image_2dd10bf67c59a3555ec860ab57f7b58cc1c935c6.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  290.9 KB
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

...is there a link to the instruction manual or do I have to buy it?...
You have to purchase an AIM. They are copyrighted by GM and sold under license. You can get them in two formats: hard copy paper 8 1/2 x 11 triple punched to fit in a three ring binder or on CD. All the Corvette vendors sell them.

Purchasing an AIM is your choice. Most folks who have them find them helpful.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 03-30-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I also have a 77 and my cable is routed just like yours. I have the AIM and the factory manual and didn't see anything that really addressed your question. I can tell you this much from mine. I have replacement panels I bought(former owner had some bad hacked up shop projet things) and my pass side doesn't bend like that, but they also don't fit as well at the top edge as yours do so not sure if that's 70's GM fit or finish or what. I will be putting new seats in shortly so mine is still apart if you wanted any pictures of anything. After messing with the things though I certainly see why they went to carpet covered ones in 78.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:43 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

I also have a 77, but I really can't see any noticeable bulge in mine. I replaced the old carpet and didn't trim it as close as factory. I ended up covering a portion of the cable that is giving you trouble. Here's how mine looks.

These are original so there is a crease anyway.

A view more or less from above. Hope these are of some help to you.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM
xDubzx
Cruising

Thank you all. I'll try zip tying it like doorgunner said. It's not a bit crease, but it sticks up enough for me so it is a pet peeve. I'll consider getting an AIS also since these cars do strike a lot of my Curiousity.

I'm talking about this crease. I want to try to bend it back a little without ruining it. Also wow my carpets really faded. It has been eaten up by mice but I wish I could bring back the color without buying a whole new carpet. I noticed pretty much every interior panel is warped, like the whole door cards too :/

Last edited by xDubzx; 03-30-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:16 PM
VetteMarshal
Instructor

Thank you all. I'll try zip tying it like doorgunner said. It's not a bit crease, but it sticks up enough for me so it is a pet peeve. I'll consider getting an AIS also since these cars do strike a lot of my Curiousity.

I'm talking about this crease. I want to try to bend it back a little without ruining it. Also wow my carpets really faded. It has been eaten up by mice but I wish I could bring back the color without buying a whole new carpet. I noticed pretty much every interior panel is warped, like the whole door cards too :/
It's not warped, that is factory.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...nels-1977.html

Last edited by VetteMarshal; 03-30-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:25 PM
VetteMarshal
Instructor

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...w=1366&bih=643

I wouldn't try to bend it because it'll most likely snap if you do.

Last edited by VetteMarshal; 03-30-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm talking about this crease. I want to try to bend it back a little without ruining it...
I see it now. I believe you're looking at 40 years of age on a stock panel. The panels are fiberboard behind the vinyl. I don't know that you can straighten fiberboard without moisture and heat and not too much of either.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:41 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

The crease you circled is correct. It's molded that way to curve down and then out slightly for the hump. Check out some of the other 77's at a show or cruise in and you'll see yours is in great shape.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:42 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Be careful of moving the cable as you could put undue stree on the mounting screws that hold the controls to the console. I had to replace my top today as a coup,e broke due to age. 11,000 mile car. Mine is routed the same way.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:30 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My '77 is exactly the same. On the transmission tunnel you will notice a recessed area for the turnbuckle to fit up against. It is tight and bending the cable slightly could break the A/C control as that plastic is getting old. The turnbuckle is to adjust the Hot-Cold lever on the control. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 03-30-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this supposed to be like this?

Quick Reply: Is this supposed to be like this?