Sponsored by:

A little AC help fora 1977

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default A little AC help fora 1977

My 77 will not switch between defrost, heat or vent. Several years back I took apart the vacuum selector switch and it worked but later reverted back to not working. Got a new selector switch today and it still don't work. Getting some vacuum to switch in black hose. Have reviewed service Manual and can't figure it out. Car has not been bubbiafied has I have owned since new and it has 11000 miles. Only bubba who has touched it is a UAW bubba.

I have a feeling it is something simple. Tomorrow I plan to get my small vacuum pump and try each line that goes to switch to see if I can get movement of the door.

Suggestions?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 PM
SWO vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SWO vette
My 77 will not switch between defrost, heat or vent. Several years back I took apart the vacuum selector switch and it worked but later reverted back to not working. Got a new selector switch today and it still don't work. Getting some vacuum to switch in black hose. Have reviewed service Manual and can't figure it out. Car has not been bubbiafied has I have owned since new and it has 11000 miles. Only bubba who has touched it is a UAW bubba.

I have a feeling it is something simple. Tomorrow I plan to get my small vacuum pump and try each line that goes to switch to see if I can get movement of the door.

Suggestions?
Ok, today I opened up the console to figure this out. Surely the new switch could not be bad. I got my vacuum pump and tested the vacuum lines and the flow switched to defrost, vent and heat as I changed hoses. So no problem there. Got the old switch and opened it up. As noted before I had taken it apart and and used a screw to reassemble instead of whatever it had when new. I noted one port was not clear and opened it up. Put it back together and hooked up hoses to it. They worked. Put it back in the car and all is good.
Called ecklers and let them know I thought their switch was bad. Told them what I did and was placed on hold while they talked with a tech. They said I had done everything they would have suggested and I might need to take car to a shop and let them fix it. Yea, right. Vette mechanics are not on every corner in Altus, Ok. Anyway, they said they would send me a new one but it would do,the same thing. At least the part was only 24 bucks and I have done way stupider things for a lot more money. I hopes this help someone with the same problem.

Quick Reply: A little AC help fora 1977