Sponsored by:

Paper/History Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Serial Steve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paper/History Question

I don't want to post this in the Orphan thread and hopefully it isn't too ridiculous of a question, but is there a way to trace the history/original ordering/selling dealer or get spec sheets/window sticker data from a C3?

I'm relatively new here, so forgive me if this is common knowledge one way or another. Already hooked on this site...!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:16 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I tried to get the paperwork from the dealer that sold my 73. They are still in business. But they advise that the records were destroyed years ago due to record retention guidelines.

Tom...
Old 03-30-2015, 11:04 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

You could try this site: http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

It states that dealer invoices are available starting in 77 for Chevrolet, but also states that it "covers almost all cars & trucks produced in the United States starting in the mid 1970's". I got the selling dealer and invoice for my 79 thru them.

No cost unless they actually find something in their records/microfilm - if they do, then it's $50.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:09 AM
Serial Steve
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradleyb66
You could try this site: http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

It states that dealer invoices are available starting in 77 for Chevrolet, but also states that it "covers almost all cars & trucks produced in the United States starting in the mid 1970's". I got the selling dealer and invoice for my 79 thru them.

No cost unless they actually find something in their records/microfilm - if they do, then it's $50.
Thanks!! That's the info I was looking for. Do they have dealer name and location or is that just a dealer code?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Serial Steve
Thanks!! That's the info I was looking for. Do they have dealer name and location or is that just a dealer code?
If the Media Center has a copy of dealer's invoice for the Corvette VIN you own, than yes, is would include Dealer location, code and zone. Also includes RPOs purchased and the pricing...no broadcast codes or other interesting data that typically accompanies a manifest or buildsheet.

You can also order a new car model information for your model year. Includes options, codes, everything dealers and consumers would have received back in the day.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM
Serial Steve
Advanced

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
If the Media Center has a copy of dealer's invoice for the Corvette VIN you own, than yes, is would include Dealer location, code and zone. Also includes RPOs purchased and the pricing...no broadcast codes or other interesting data that typically accompanies a manifest or buildsheet.

You can also order a new car model information for your model year. Includes options, codes, everything dealers and consumers would have received back in the day.

Hope this helps!
Absolutely!
Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

You don't say what year car but look here to see if this additional information might be helpful:

https://webservices.corvettemuseum.o...buildsheet.asp
Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Serial Steve
Advanced

Originally Posted by karol
You don't say what year car but look here to see if this additional information might be helpful:

https://webservices.corvettemuseum.o...buildsheet.asp
82 and fortunately not anong the missing records!

This is really cool-thanks!
Old 04-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I went to the GM Heritage site and went through the order process for an invoice for my '78. And today it arrived by email. Great, personal service and the first piece of history we have been able to get on the car we have owned for 25 years! Will the dealer still have records?? seems unlikely, but at least I now know where it was delivered, so maybe a call to the local DMV is next. Thanks for posting the link Bradleyb66
Old 04-03-2015, 02:42 PM
ralphspears
Melting Slicks

Received 764 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons
I went to the GM Heritage site and went through the order process for an invoice for my '78. And today it arrived by email. Great, personal service and the first piece of history we have been able to get on the car we have owned for 25 years! Will the dealer still have records?? seems unlikely, but at least I now know where it was delivered, so maybe a call to the local DMV is next. Thanks for posting the link Bradleyb66
Where was the selling dealer city/state ?????
Old 04-04-2015, 04:05 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ralphspears
Where was the selling dealer city/state ?????
Hi. Bill Branch Chevrolet, Fort Myers, FL. It's now called Victory Lane Chevrolet, but they no longer sell Corvettes.

Not "being from 'round there" (!) I'm not sure how receptive Florida DMV is? But next week I may give Victory Lane a call first.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:42 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

As a follow up to this, does anyone know how helpful/responsive the Florida DMV (Lee County actually) are like to be, or able to be, if I ask about previous owners of my '78?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons
...does anyone know how helpful/responsive the Florida DMV (Lee County actually) are like to be, or able to be, if I ask about previous owners of my '78?...
Due to privacy laws, many DMVs are no longer allowed to provide personal previous owner information. They may be able to tell you how long a car was in a specific area based on registration history.

No harm in contacting them and asking.

Get notified of new replies

To Paper/History Question

Quick Reply: Paper/History Question