Sponsored by:

72 L48 needs heads and cam.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:42 AM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Default 72 L48 needs heads and cam.

My 1972 Project has its original block (The original block is over bored 30) but realized yesterday during motor tear down the heads are not correct. Has 333882 heads. Looks to have the original cam and intake as well. The cam shows enough wear that I feel okay replacing it as well as replacing the heads. What combo would give me more HP and still not break the bank as I still have lots more to spend money on during the restoration. Needs to run on pump gas and LOOK as close to factory with the hood up. Would like to maintain a relatively smooth idle.

Thanks, Dean
Old 03-31-2015, 01:13 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

You may want to move this to the tech/performance side. More likely to get an answer there.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Thanks...I will repost there. I did not know there was a motor section.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:41 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I looked but I don't think that you have moved the post yet. To start off the 882 heads are junk. Start looking at something like Vortecs or other GM fast burn heads. shoot for 9.5 or 10 static compression. Then get a good mid-range torque cam. Start tuning.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

After talking to a local "speed shop" He suggested a Comp Cam CL12-242-2 cam. He thought the 882 heads would be okay for what I want.
Although I have not read one good thing about those heads. I am wondering about the DART IRON heads with 2.02 intake and 67cc chamber. What would I expect from this cam and higher compression heads??? Is it a waste? Would another cam be better but still have a smooth "ish" idle.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:59 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean_Fuller
After talking to a local "speed shop" He suggested a Comp Cam CL12-242-2 cam. He thought the 882 heads would be okay for what I want.
Although I have not read one good thing about those heads. I am wondering about the DART IRON heads with 2.02 intake and 67cc chamber. What would I expect from this cam and higher compression heads??? Is it a waste? Would another cam be better but still have a smooth "ish" idle.
If your not building a street racer / race car the 2.02 GM heads are fine for most peoples purpose . Look for older set that will yield a higher compression.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
If your not building a street racer / race car the 2.02 GM heads are fine for most peoples purpose . Look for older set that will yield a higher compression.
Understood...my issue is the cost of the "older heads" PLUS cost of machine work to add harden seats and valve guides equals or betters buying aftermarket DART iron heads with much better flow. I have ALWAYS been a factory guy when it comes to Corvettes. But in this case staying factory will not only cost MORE money but give me much less horse power as well. I'm really at a loss as to what to do.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 L48 needs heads and cam.

Quick Reply: 72 L48 needs heads and cam.