Sponsored by:

'81 Idles High-Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:29 PM
Sugar Bear
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '81 Idles High-Need Help

Ok Guys, Here is another one of my newbie questions. My '81 is idling at around 1100. I've looked through other threads and done some head scratching (ok, probably not my head!) and this is where I'm at. I disconnected the vacuum supply for the headlights/vents and capped it off. I've checked for vacuum leaks on the intake and carb and can find none. My choke is opening up in 3 to 4 minutes after the car warms up. Now here is the kicker. I looked at the idle stop and the throttle is not even coming in contact with it. there is a 1/32 to 1/16 inch gap between the throttle and the stop. I can physically push the throttle against the stop and the idle drops to around 800. But as soon as I release the throttle it jumps back up to around 1100 with the gap present at the stop. Sometimes, after the car has driven for a while and really gets warm it will drop to around 800 on its own but not every time. The car was doing this when I bought it a year ago and I have no idea if Bubba did anything to the carb.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:13 PM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I know idle is affected by the initial timing and idle metering screws on the carb... in both instances its good to have a high idle and then back it down using the idle screw, which is apparently dead weight in your car for some reason. The ecu also has something to do with timing which will have an effect on the idle speed. Is the check engine light on? Any codes?

Quick Reply: '81 Idles High-Need Help