Sponsored by:

Installing new seat cushions on an 81

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 AM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Installing new seat cushions on an 81

I see that there are clips in the seat backs that correspond to hooks in the back of the seat cushions, but I have no idea how to manipulate a soft foamy seat cushion to engage the hooks on the backs..do I need a special tool?
Thanks in Advance
Old 04-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I used a large screw driver.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:20 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

It seems its real hard to get enough leverage to engage the clip because your pushing against soft foam. Ill try the large screwdriver method too
Old 04-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I tried to find a pic , I used a large screwdriver as well . Totally length about 14-16" .... Cut a 1/4" notch in the blade to " grab/ slip on " the spring wire & pushed it till it came undone . You should only have to push in about 3/4" - 1" . I also wrapped the blade with electrical tape to protect seats .
Old 04-02-2015, 03:40 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack c
I tried to find a pic , I used a large screwdriver as well . Totally length about 14-16" .... Cut a 1/4" notch in the blade to " grab/ slip on " the spring wire & pushed it till it came undone . You should only have to push in about 3/4" - 1" . I also wrapped the blade with electrical tape to protect seats .
I used a modified screw driver similar to what Brack mentioned when I installed the cushions on my 79. I cut a 'U' notch on the end of the blade, so that I could 'hook' it on the wire while maneuvering the screw driver around to get it to engage on the seat hooks. I think it took me over 30 minutes of messing around with it to get all four cushions installed.

I also found it was easier to dis-assemble the two halves of the seat, and put them back together after the cushions were installed.

P.S. You'll never get it to 'engage' if you're just pushing on the seat from the front side - you need to get the screw driver in between the cushion and the clam-shell portion of the seat.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:07 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Thanks guys for the tips.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 PM
samengr87
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar question with a twist... recently remove my cushions. Clips were corroded from years of leaking tops. One clip broke... called Wilcox, no replacements available. Any suggestions ?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by samengr87
Similar question with a twist... recently remove my cushions. Clips were corroded from years of leaking tops. One clip broke... called Wilcox, no replacements available. Any suggestions ?
I forget what the clips looked like exactly (I did mine almost 6 months ago), but you could probably open a thread in the 'Parts for Sale/Wanted' asking if anybody has any laying around (somebody might have some seats that were broken that they could pull parts off of).

Get notified of new replies

To Installing new seat cushions on an 81

Quick Reply: Installing new seat cushions on an 81