Sponsored by:

Thinking in buying a Pro Street '68 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 09:59 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats

Many people will grossly low ball any modded/custom car no matter how nicely it is done just because it is modded.
Many people will in general low ball anything posted.
Many people will in many cases way high ball the value of their own car.
So true, so true.

GrandSportC3
You might have posted this in the wrong section. The Drag Racing section would probably get you better estimates on the value of the car you are looking at. At least there they understand the reasoning for installing a solid rear axle with big wide meats in the car. Posting something like this here is like asking my 80 year old grandmother what she thinks. If its not stock its not good. Now it's time for me to go
Old 04-19-2015, 10:37 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

YEs...but like I said I felt like I had to do something in situation so I lost out sometimes I win...

Back to os
Are you gonna go for the car in this thread?
I will buy it but I need to come up with the money.. I'm selling one of my houses and it should sell quickly.. If the car is gone by then, then I'm out of luck.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:58 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by 76Rat
So true, so true.

GrandSportC3
You might have posted this in the wrong section. The Drag Racing section would probably get you better estimates on the value of the car you are looking at. At least there they understand the reasoning for installing a solid rear axle with big wide meats in the car. Posting something like this here is like asking my 80 year old grandmother what she thinks. If its not stock its not good. Now it's time for me to go
Your grandmother is a corvette purist...she only digs bone stock?

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
I will buy it but I need to come up with the money.. I'm selling one of my houses and it should sell quickly.. If the car is gone by then, then I'm out of luck.
I believe you would love the car, I see all kinds of promise with it I just do not dig the price BUT I also feel it's cool to pay more for something we really want,
IF you do not get your funds in time...I have that issue a lot, dont look at it as being unlucky look at it as the universe saying that wasn't the right car for you....
Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Your grandmother is a corvette purist...she only digs bone stock?

I believe you would love the car, I see all kinds of promise with it I just do not dig the price BUT I also feel it's cool to pay more for something we really want,
IF you do not get your funds in time...I have that issue a lot, dont look at it as being unlucky look at it as the universe saying that wasn't the right car for you....
I'm not worried about it.. Other options will come up if this one sells before I have the money.. That car is in a market segment where it's hard to find the right buyer and it might not sell too fast. If I'm wrong and it sells before I have the money, I will look into other options.. I'm actually also considering 2005 - 2006 C6 Convertibles... or any other interesting C3's and maybe even C5's.. It could also be a 1st generation Camaro Pro Street car.. I like lot's of different cars.. A solid axle Vert however, is somewhere to the top of the list as I do have a great motor, exhaust etc. sitting in my garage, waiting to be installed on the right car.. I did have the money late march but I had to pay the property taxes on 4 houses and one empty lot.... That threw me back a few grand
Old 04-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sorry you sold your old C3?
Old 04-20-2015, 12:26 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jughead
Sorry you sold your old C3?
Yes, sold both of my '68 Verts including the GrandSportC3..

I did sell the GSC3 in pieces.. Got a lot more money that way.. Nobody wanted to even pay $15k for the car in one piece but I got over 23k for it in pieces.. The Tom's rear end setup alone got me $5k...
Also sold the yellow '68 Vert.. Needed money to invest in real estate and the total of $40k for the 2 cars helped to buy properties.. Those properties now have doubled in value and I'm currently selling one of them.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

You probably already know this GS, but the car is currently listed on ebay @4250 with 2 days to go. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261865357637?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 04-29-2015, 10:12 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by John 65
You probably already know this GS, but the car is currently listed on ebay @4250 with 2 days to go. Good luck.

Chevrolet Corvette Corvette | eBay
Doubt that it will meet the reserve price.. The market for such car is not too big.

I have a contract on the house I'm selling, so I hopefully will have the money within a month or so.. If it's still available, I'll get it, otherwise, I'll find something else..

Last edited by GrandSportC3; 04-29-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:41 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by John 65
I love the cold hard fact of ebay, it can and does bust that ego bubble really quickly when someone gets a wake up call how much the world feels their whatever is worth....
Old 04-29-2015, 09:37 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

I love the cold hard fact of ebay, it can and does bust that ego bubble really quickly when someone gets a wake up call how much the world feels their whatever is worth....
Sometimes, sellers use shill bidders to bid up the vehicle close to reserve price and then wait until a real bidder falls for it.. I'm the high bidder right now at 4300
I do have $4300 available but not the $8500 that he wants..
Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Sometimes, sellers use shill bidders to bid up the vehicle close to reserve price and then wait until a real bidder falls for it.. I'm the high bidder right now at 4300
I do have $4300 available but not the $8500 that he wants..
That does happen, and also sport bidders like to run bids up, I knew a kit car fellow felt shilling was part of the game,
In this case bidding will end where the world thinks it's worth, I think it's worth more to you but are you sure 8K?
Old 04-30-2015, 08:27 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

That does happen, and also sport bidders like to run bids up, I knew a kit car fellow felt shilling was part of the game,
In this case bidding will end where the world thinks it's worth, I think it's worth more to you but are you sure 8K?
It would cost a lot more than $8k to build.. the 9 inch conversion alone is expensive. All the car needs is motor and transmission.. For $8500, I would also want the '68 front that he has.. otherwise, I would pay $7500
Old 05-06-2015, 07:07 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

He wants $7500 now.. that's what I would pay for it.. However, I only will have the full amount on 6/9 when I close on the sale of a house...
Old 05-06-2015, 08:46 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

He wants $7500 now.. that's what I would pay for it.. However, I only will have the full amount on 6/9 when I close on the sale of a house...
If you are really interested in it at that price see if he will take a $500 deposit to hold it until the sale of the house.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:17 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JimLentz
If you are really interested in it at that price see if he will take a $500 deposit to hold it until the sale of the house.
I'm sure that he would not make it refundable in case that my house sale falls through.. I could give him $2k right now and $5500 when I sell the houses but I don't want to risk losing the money in case that my house sale falls through..
Old 05-06-2015, 10:33 AM
S**ttersFull
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can find a car like that for $1500, good luck.. The convertible top alone is worth over $1000.. (I did sell one on Ebay once)
The price is a lot more than $1500.. The car is solid with a perfect, rust free frame. It's not a NCRS car but a cool Hot Rod. It only needs a motor to run and I would paint it... There's at least $7k to $8k in parts on that car. It also comes with the extra front clip, a extra hood, cooling system etc. All it needs is a engine and I got one. Of course, I would have it painted with a relatively inexpensive driver paint job, install some race seats instead of the factory seats and some nicer white faced gauges and I would be ready to go..
You came on asking for opinions and then lash out with defenses/excuses for everything someone says.

I think you had your mind made up before even posting this and were just looking for a "yes" to better solidify your choice in your mind.

I'm a noob, so my opinion matters not. But you will need a new hood, interior, the wheels may not be the greatest for your application and the lights.. the lights are going to be expensive too. Lot's of $200-500 projects on that car that will add up. If it's more than $3000, I'd pass on it personally.. too much has been done to that car to make it worth restoring or even turning into a hot rod. Sure it was a hot rod once, but it done to that persons tastes and not the general public's.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:09 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by S**ttersFull
You came on asking for opinions and then lash out with defenses/excuses for everything someone says.

I think you had your mind made up before even posting this and were just looking for a "yes" to better solidify your choice in your mind.

I'm a noob, so my opinion matters not. But you will need a new hood, interior, the wheels may not be the greatest for your application and the lights.. the lights are going to be expensive too. Lot's of $200-500 projects on that car that will add up. If it's more than $3000, I'd pass on it personally.. too much has been done to that car to make it worth restoring or even turning into a hot rod. Sure it was a hot rod once, but it done to that persons tastes and not the general public's.
I have explained what I'm looking for.. I"m not looking to know what it is worth TO someone but for a objective number based on what is there. Of course, for someone who wants a original car, it is worth close to nothing. When I'm asking for a value, I want to know what people think it is worth objectively based on what is there and not on what it's personally worth to them. If you have parts on the car that could easily be sold for $6k or more, then it's not realistic to estimate the car's value at $2k. If I could find cars like that for $2k to $4k easily, I would be rich now as I would buy all of them and sell them for parts. Parting out a car is a lot easier than building a car. I have done it, so I know what I'm talking about.. Sold my '68 Race car in pieces..
Old 05-06-2015, 03:45 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The car has been for sale for a while now, with no buyers.

I believe you are right..it's worth more parted out than as a whole. I'm surprised the owner hasn't just parted it out.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:09 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
The car has been for sale for a while now, with no buyers.

I believe you are right..it's worth more parted out than as a whole. I'm surprised the owner hasn't just parted it out.
I don't know.. Maybe ha does what I did.. i first tried to sell my GrandSportC3 in one piece and if I didn't even get $15k for it, I sold it in pieces and got $22k for it.. So, if it won't sell, maybe he will sell it in pieces..

Quick Reply: Thinking in buying a Pro Street '68 Vert