Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1975 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you've got a good plan there. A solid cruiser is easy to build compared to some other end-uses.

Just a little additional info for you, if you care:

The luggage rack is an aftermarket piece. The GM rack looks and mounts differently. It could be period-correct though: I think I've seen a few other cars here on the forum with that kind of rack.

The emblems on the sail-panels, behind the door, were never there from the factory AND are not correct for the year: they look like nose emblems for the 73-74 cars. In my opinion, they look tacky. Your opinion may vary though, and it's your car, so who cares what I think?
Old 04-11-2015, 12:15 AM
Mr muscle
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only update I have right now if that all 4 calipers are going to be replaced. I'm having the shop do it because it was already there. I feared brake lines would need replaced so I putted down there on my e brake. He said lines all look great. Once it comes back on Monday I'll detail her up and give you guys a ton of pictures to pour over and help me find things. Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Mr muscle
Advanced

Thank you for the kind words. I did get a steal but it is going to nickel and dime me to death. Oh well, it will be a blast to fix her up with my oldest son and my grandpa. He is 8 and already excited to fix those broken wires in the door jamb.

Small update. Replaced 4 calipers and she stops great now. I also picked up 4 new headlights. I replaced drivers side no problem but the passenger side is not lifting up high enough to remove the bezel. I'm just a hair shy of pulling it out. Any advice?

next step, oil change, plugs, wires, and fix those dang windows.

Pics soon!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Mr muscle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kris Tunetso
Sounds like you've got a good plan there. A solid cruiser is easy to build compared to some other end-uses.

Just a little additional info for you, if you care:

The luggage rack is an aftermarket piece. The GM rack looks and mounts differently. It could be period-correct though: I think I've seen a few other cars here on the forum with that kind of rack.

The emblems on the sail-panels, behind the door, were never there from the factory AND are not correct for the year: they look like nose emblems for the 73-74 cars. In my opinion, they look tacky. Your opinion may vary though, and it's your car, so who cares what I think?

This is the kind of info I love! Thank you so much.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Mr muscle
Advanced

Just ran outside, ANY info or tips you guys want to offer I would love to hear. This is your world and I'm just coming in. Please teach me what you can!

Old 04-12-2015, 07:27 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Definitely replace the brake lines too. Easy to do and worth it
Old 04-13-2015, 08:30 AM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by The Punisher
Definitely replace the brake lines too. Easy to do and worth it
Nice car! looks real complete under the hood, a big plus in my book. Good luck with it and your plan of action sounds right on the money. Mike
Old 04-13-2015, 09:37 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you got a terrific deal for $2,500! Good save and a nice project car that with a bit of work will turn heads. Glad that this one is saved and has a loving home now.

Happy for you,

Lee
Old 04-13-2015, 03:51 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Now that you posted pictures of the engine compartment, I have to comment that it has lot's of correct original equipment. These days it is hard to find a 40 year old car that Bubba hasn't totally screwed up the mechanicals. With a little clean up it will be like new.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:24 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

IMHO:
You made a great buy.
Car appears to have original engine. Makes it even better. Keep it that way. Again MHO.. You should buy the NCRS juging guide for the car. Even if you dont wish to restore it this is a great guide to diirect you how things should be or at least were. I think you will find it fun to research all the "numbers", date codes , part numbers etc. I did anyway with my '78 and it was well, sort of like a treasure hunt. If everthing is in fact original you may want to keep it that way. I would.

By any means KEEP IT ON THE ROAD! At least for a while and get some enjoyment out it. Could be wrong but I see a frame off brewing here. Not now, but in a few years. As you have already seen, you have lots of support.
HAVE FUN
Old 04-14-2015, 01:13 AM
Mr muscle
Advanced

Today's update.

Skipped working on headlight until you guys guide me to getting it open further.

Oil changed, 10w30 with a wix filter like I saw recommended on here.

pulled door panels off to fix power windows. Passenger side fixed no problem. Driver side, some yahoo unplugged the wiring harness from the motor and it is gone so I ordered a new one from eckels for 14.99

Tomorrow's goal is to start the full interior detailing. That's a long process for me because I'm very OCD.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:19 AM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a "cheats way" of doing the headlights in a car where the bezel won't lift high enough. All you need to do is take out all of the bezel screws, pull the bezel fowards and get it do drop down behind the grille. It might not go down all the way, but with enough maneuvering you can change both sealed beams.

The car looks quite original in many ways, at least to me. Still has its smog pump even.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Mr muscle
Advanced

Thank you, I will give that method a try this evening!
Old 04-15-2015, 03:53 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

OCD and an old Vette are not a good mix. I can envision a lot of "while I'm at it" in your future. On the other hand an old Vette will be a lot cheaper than some other choices like an old German car.

Once you get many of the things finished and on the road you may be surprised at how much you will drive it and that it can be quite reliable.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:44 PM
Mr muscle
Advanced

She is on the road! I've logged about 7 hours in her so far. Still needs some simple stuff that I'm hoping to knock out this weekend. Have not tried the headlight trick yet and I'm waiting on the new window motor harness to reinstall the door panel.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Mr muscle
Advanced

Ok, please don't laugh at my question. Driver side dash, two ***** I have no clue what they do on the lower part of the dash near my knee. Also how do I switch between brights and dims. I'm still trying to figure out what works and what is broken lol.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Aquarian
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Great to see you driving it!! One of the ***** is a vacuum override for the headlights,(mine only has one, not sure of the other) the hi-low beam switch is old school style and is in the upper left hand corner of the floor board on. It is activated with your left foot ( not the steering column) This is some old guy knowledge stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 Stingray

Old 04-17-2015, 03:44 PM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

The other **** is the odometer reset.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Aquarian
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Of course...my dash is completely out, didn't think of it...old guy memory
Old 04-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Mr muscle
Advanced

Thank you guys, being a younger guy, who has no experience with a corvette and little experience with any classic cars I'm learning slowly. But I will learn, and appreciate all the knowledge you guys offer.

Next question...

I'm going to order the replacement rear bumper cover as mine is gone. Does the new one come ready to mount with the studs attached? Or isv there a mounting bracket I have to order too? How well did yours line up?

Quick Reply: 1975 Stingray