Sponsored by:

DIY Side pipe heat shields.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

artsvetkov,

Have you ever thought of maybe a powder coat on these finished Shields? I am. The stock they used to cut my tubing was pretty nasty, and I'm a rather lazy polisher. Car is white: thinking of a flat or gloss black. Maybe a metallic silver?

Steve
Old 04-19-2015, 01:57 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I just love it when people think outside the box!

Great Job.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:09 PM
artsvetkov
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
artsvetkov,

Have you ever thought of maybe a powder coat on these finished Shields? I am. The stock they used to cut my tubing was pretty nasty, and I'm a rather lazy polisher. Car is white: thinking of a flat or gloss black. Maybe a metallic silver?

Steve
I ordered Dimond Clear coat for bare metal made by Eastwood, I gonna give it another round of polishing to get a mirror finish like chrome and then clear it.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by artsvetkov
I ordered Dimond Clear coat for bare metal made by Eastwood, I gonna give it another round of polishing to get a mirror finish like chrome and then clear it.
That's a good way to go. To try and match the aluminum color and be slightly off would really look bad, IMHO.

Another question has come up.

These pipes are really pristine, and I don't want to scratch 'em. Do you suppose a thin exhaust gasket material cut in a strip to fit would work here? I'd just glue it to the support's surface.

Steve
Old 04-19-2015, 07:01 PM
1981chef
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted

Last edited by 1981chef; 04-19-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Another hour per shield on a buffing wheel with polishing rouge will have them sparkling.......

just be sure to wipe them down with acetone before clearcoating them so the clearcoat won't peel off in a month.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:25 PM
artsvetkov
Cruising

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
That's a good way to go. To try and match the aluminum color and be slightly off would really look bad, IMHO.

Another question has come up.

These pipes are really pristine, and I don't want to scratch 'em. Do you suppose a thin exhaust gasket material cut in a strip to fit would work here? I'd just glue it to the support's surface.

Steve
Yes I would use a piece of exhaust wrap. I'm not sure if you put any miles on those pipes, but they usually turn gold with heat and get nasty brown spots if water gets on them while they are hot, that was another reason for me to do full length shields because my pipes started to turn nasty.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:24 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by artsvetkov
Yes I would use a piece of exhaust wrap. I'm not sure if you put any miles on those pipes, but they usually turn gold with heat and get nasty brown spots if water gets on them while they are hot, that was another reason for me to do full length shields because my pipes started to turn nasty.
The pipes are brand new. Never installed.
And I know nothing about their maintenance. Thanks for the heads-up.

Steve
Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Great innovation! Not sure I like the look as well, but nicely done.

I would be interested in how hot they get. Can you hold your hand on them after driving?

Cavu, I would use a piece of stove pipe/door seal on that bracket. It can take the heat and you can get it in a kit that includes the glue to attach it to the bracket.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Cavu, I would use a piece of stove pipe/door seal on that bracket. It can take the heat and you can get it in a kit that includes the glue to attach it to the bracket.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:26 PM
artsvetkov
Cruising

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Great innovation! Not sure I like the look as well, but nicely done.

I would be interested in how hot they get. Can you hold your hand on them after driving?

I did a run around a block on a warmed up engine(in video posted) the front side(engine end) was hot like a cup of coffee and back side by the door was cold to a touch.

Quick Reply: DIY Side pipe heat shields.