Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi wb,
You may have spotted something.
The originals on my 71 measure 13/64".
Reproduction 1/8" pop rivets are often 1/4"
Regards,
Alan

New calipers! Still can't spell engeneer, but I can measure like one now!

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-20-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:52 AM
ken37051
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
Ken,

I compared your Trim tag photo to a picture of one of my cars trim tags and it "appears" that there might be a size difference? This very well could be a early 68 normal rivet, as I'm using a 71 photo to compare? That's why I asked or posted it as a question.
this is getting interesting. I sent pics to Mr Berge for his thoughts. I will post his review asap. 😜
Old 04-20-2015, 11:19 AM
ken37051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi wb,
You may have spotted something.
The originals on my 71 measure 13/64".
Reproduction 1/8" pop rivets are often 1/4"
Regards,
Alan

New calipers! Still can't spell engeneer, but I can measure like one now!
I think we need pics of another 68 trim tag
Old 04-20-2015, 11:33 AM
ken37051
Intermediate

just measured, 1/2 inch even
Old 04-20-2015, 11:55 AM
vette1500
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ken37051

just measured, 1/2 inch even
Old 04-20-2015, 01:45 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I think we need pics of another 68 trim tag
Here is mine, not a great pic, but the original rivets on mine do appear smaller than yours, judging by the "N" in PAINT above the rivet. Mine was built mid November '67, so a little earlier than yours.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2015, 02:10 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Here's my late '68 tag
Name:  09AXtDr.jpeg
Views: 36
Size:  991.0 KB
Old 04-20-2015, 02:37 PM
ken37051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gungatim
Here is mine, not a great pic, but the original rivets on mine do appear smaller than yours, judging by the "N" in PAINT above the rivet. Mine was built mid November '67, so a little earlier than yours.
it's interesting, but still not sure what to think. thx
Old 04-20-2015, 02:38 PM
ken37051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gungatim
I'm sure there is an answer, but ? thx
Old 04-20-2015, 02:44 PM
JC68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm sure there is an answer, but ? thx
Ken

Your rivets are to large to be the originals from the factory. It could mean something or it could not. My guess is they removed the trim tag to be able to paint under it and reattached it when they were done.

John
Old 04-20-2015, 02:52 PM
ken37051
Intermediate

John thats the way I see it too, however that tag looks new but everything matches the car as should.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:10 PM
JC68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 105 Posts

John thats the way I see it too, however that tag looks new but everything matches the car as should.
Ken

It looks to me there is a little white paint on the edge of the trim tag in the one picture, hard to tell. If this is true, it has most likely been on the car since at least that repaint.

I would be worried if I'd bought the car for big dollars based on some previous owners talk of rarity and how special it is, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I can't see a dollar motive to creating a fake tank sticker and matching trim tag for a car to be painted in primer if it wasn't used as a sales tool.

John
Old 04-20-2015, 03:35 PM
ken37051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JC68
Ken

It looks to me there is a little white paint on the edge of the trim tag in the one picture, hard to tell. If this is true, it has most likely been on the car since at least that repaint.

I would be worried if I'd bought the car for big dollars based on some previous owners talk of rarity and how special it is, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I can't see a dollar motive to creating a fake tank sticker and matching trim tag for a car to be painted in primer if it wasn't used as a sales tool.

John
John all the docs match to the car so I'm confident of it's originality. A 47 year old anything has a few secrets, me included. :-)
Old 04-20-2015, 08:35 PM
ken37051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Ken,
I really don't know enough about production to understand how/why this car has a 420 interior.
I'm familiar with cars leaving St. Louis in primer, but how the saddle interior was available in January, I don't know, so I really can't help.
Chuck Berge is the 68-69 NCRS Team Leader. Perhaps you can give him a call, explain what you have, and hear what his thoughts are. 703-629-0206
Regards,
Alan
Alan I spoke to Mr. Berge today and he thinks the car was shipped in primer This was a two owner Calif black plate car that I have the original owners address. I’v got some work to do. Thanks for everyones help, I’ll be back.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

The rivets really aren't a question... They are much larger in diameter than the original rivets were (so big that you eyeball them and know they are too large). That isn't a great surprise though. In order to paint one of these cars properly, the trim tag is removed during the process and reattached after painting... Although in this case, with the wrong size rivets. I'd love a better look at the tag itself as I really can't get a feel for it from the photograph. As always, you really need to see the car in person in order to make an accurate assessment.

I've seen my fair share of trim tags over the years. Like Mike, I've never seen a primer car marked this way.

What really got my attention though is the build order... Some strange things going on there.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 04-21-2015, 05:31 PM
ken37051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
The rivets really aren't a question... They are much larger in diameter than the original rivets were (so big that you eyeball them and know they are too large). That isn't a great surprise though. In order to paint one of these cars properly, the trim tag is removed during the process and reattached after painting... Although in this case, with the wrong size rivets. I'd love a better look at the tag itself as I really can't get a feel for it from the photograph. As always, you really need to see the car in person in order to make an accurate assessment.

I've seen my fair share of trim tags over the years. Like Mike, I've never seen a primer car marked this way.

What really got my attention though is the build order... Some strange things going on there.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
hi Stan, I removed the tank on Saturday because the seller thought it might be there.I could see something with a flashlight so I got started with the removal. After taking pictures of the removal of the tank with the sticker on it, I put the tank back with the sticker as I found it. Mr Berge stated that a buyer could order a new car in primer in 68, seems odd to me. The saddle interior was not offered in Jan 68, another oddity. The trim tag seems ligit though it may have been removed during a repaint, common. The car was said to be bronze in color before the repaint in early 90's. The trim tag shows color as 001, 00 being bronze. So, Mr Berge and I believe this car to be a Copo. The car is a documented two owner Black Plate Calif car, prior to my purchase. I do have the Protect-O-Plate that matches the tank sticker and the trim tag. Looks good to me.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:13 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Mr Berge stated that a buyer could order a new car in primer in 68, seems odd to me.
It certainly wasn't common (maybe 200 or so cars a year), but it did occur. Even less common were cars painted a non-standard color by the factory. There aren't many instances of this happening, but we know that it was possible.

The saddle interior was not offered in Jan 68, another oddity.
Yes, it is odd.

The trim tag seems ligit though it may have been removed during a repaint, common.
It is difficult to tell anything definitive from your photograph. That's simply the nature of photographs... Your eyes can process much more information than the photo can provide which is why I stress looking at trim tags and stamp pads in person (in addition to photos). Yes, it is common to remove the trim tag during painting, but as a result of the oversize rivets, we know for certain that a trim tag has been off the car too.

The car was said to be bronze in color before the repaint in early 90's. The trim tag shows color as 001, 00 being bronze.
Assuming for a moment that the car was originally delivered in primer, what it was painted previously really doesn't have an impact. In any case, Corvette bronze was code 992 and was a standard color for 1968. If the car had been painted that way at the factory, you would expect to see that on trim tag and the build order. It is not.

The real question here is why the trim tag is coded 001. That is not what I would expect to see on a primer car.

So, Mr Berge and I believe this car to be a Copo. The car is a documented two owner Black Plate Calif car, prior to my purchase. I do have the Protect-O-Plate that matches the tank sticker and the trim tag. Looks good to me.
A COPO? Maybe, but if so it was certainly to confirm that the car was a sold order, in primer. I doubt that GM or a dealer would want to take a chance on selling a car in primer without a buyer already "locked up."

What intrigues me most are your trim tag and build sheet. Each has some formatting that I have never seen before.

Nice looking car by the way!

Regards,

Stan

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 tank sticker

Old 04-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...The trim tag shows color as 001, 00 being bronze...
68 Corvette bronze was code 992. Where are you getting your information indicating 00 is bronze?
Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 PM
ken37051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
It certainly wasn't common (maybe 200 or so cars a year), but it did occur. Even less common were cars painted a non-standard color by the factory. There aren't many instances of this happening, but we know that it was possible.

Yes, it is odd.

It is difficult to tell anything definitive from your photograph. That's simply the nature of photographs... Your eyes can process much more information than the photo can provide which is why I stress looking at trim tags and stamp pads in person (in addition to photos). Yes, it is common to remove the trim tag during painting, but as a result of the oversize rivets, we know for certain that a trim tag has been off the car too.

Assuming for a moment that the car was originally delivered in primer, what it was painted previously really doesn't have an impact. In any case, Corvette bronze was code 992 and was a standard color for 1968. If the car had been painted that way at the factory, you would expect to see that on trim tag and the build order. It is not.

The real question here is why the trim tag is coded 001. That is not what I would expect to see on a primer car.

A COPO? Maybe, but if so it was certainly to confirm that the car was a sold order, in primer. I doubt that GM or a dealer would want to take a chance on selling a car in primer without a buyer already "locked up."

What intrigues me most are your trim tag and build sheet. Each has some formatting that I have never seen before.

Nice looking car by the way!

Regards,

Stan
Hi Stan, my mistake on the 001 being bronze, 992 is correct. The 001 shows as non standard paint, possibly primer as indicated on the tank sticker. I am trying to locate the first owner to clear some of this up but it’s not easy. I read that an insider with knowledge of future options (saddle interior) could order that option before it was available to the general public after a series of sign offs. The rivets on the trim tag seems obvious. The car being shipped in primer is strange but had been done during that era according to Mr Berge. I think this car is a little special because of all these oddities. Anyway it is to me. Thanks all, Ken
Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 PM
ken37051
Intermediate

Hi Stan, my mistake on the 001 being bronze, 992 is correct. The 001 shows as non standard paint, possibly primer as indicated on the tank sticker. I am trying to locate the first owner to clear some of this up but it’s not easy. I read that an insider with knowledge of future options (saddle interior) could order that option before it was available to the general public after a series of sign offs. The rivets on the trim tag seems obvious. The car being shipped in primer is strange but had been done during that era according to Mr Berge. I think this car is a little special because of all these oddities. Anyway it is to me. Thanks all, Ken
Stan you can see my car by googling, 1968 corvette rare color code 001, but it still won’t explain the why’s that we have been discussing.

Quick Reply: 1968 tank sticker