C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heading to the paint booth what parts get painted?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 PM
bbcngineer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heading to the paint booth what parts get painted?

Folks,
I wasn't sure I would ever get to this point, but here we are. New engine, tranny, rear end, front and rear VBP suspension. Now ready for steel cities gray paint. The car is a 72 convertible. I bought it as a basket case. My question is what parts go with it to get body color? I've never had it together only in boxes. So I need to make sure I get all the parts to the body guy.
What else do I need to think about?
Kevin
Old 04-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Kevin,
PAINT! NICE! Exciting and tense time.
Body, head light doors, headlight bezels, hood, wiper door, wiper door trim, wiper grill, fender trim at windshield, doors, deck lid, rear deck grills, gas door, rear valance, side grills, trim for interior quarter pieces.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

I wouldn't have it painted without assembling it at least once. You have no idea what you'll run into when you begin to put it together. There's very little you can do to remedy problems once the pieces are painted.

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-20-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 PM
bbcngineer
Instructor

Yes I was thinking the same thing. I will Mach it up once before sending it off. How about hinges? Hood hinges black of body color? Rear hatch hinges?
Kevin
Old 04-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Kevin,
The hood hinges were in place when the body was painted so have some color on them and also semi-flat black from the compartment black out. It depends on what type of restoration you're doing as to how you handle that.
The rear deck lid hinges were painted body color as was most of the underside of the lid and the deck lid mechanism mounted to it.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 PM
bbcngineer
Instructor

Thanks Alan. This is not a restoration per se. It's a street car built to be driven. I can't wait to drive it.
Kevin
Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm with Alan... it needs to be put together (body on the chassis) before paint. I bought my 68 as an aborted project so I too have not seen my car together. My chassis is done and I've done all of the "big" glass work with the body on the dolly. Now I'm preparing the chassis by wrapping it with plastic to protect all of the "pretty" work. I'm going to put it together and work all of the gaps, alignment and fitment and THEN paint it. I've been on the forum too long now learning from others and I wouldn't dare paint it without a full assembly check first. Good luck and get us some pics coming!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:55 AM
bbcngineer
Instructor

Folks,
I may have mislead you a little bit. The body is mounted to the frame. The body was stripped 15 years ago. When I say I've never seen it together I am talking about the trim mostly. So the convertible top, headlights, grills, bumpers, egg crates, etc. It was rolling and driveable when I bought it. I hope that helps. Not a concourse restoration. A fun driver project.
Kevin
Old 04-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Kevin,
I would not want to learn how to but the wiper door trim on, adjust the headlight doors and deck lid, or fit the quarter panel trim in place, for the first time, with a freshly painted car and parts.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Heading to the paint booth what parts get painted?

Quick Reply: Heading to the paint booth what parts get painted?