Sponsored by:

Help with Rear Quarter Panel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM
goldenfox
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Rear Quarter Panel Replacement

First time DIY’er with fiberglass. Have a 1974 Corvette which sustained damage to right rear quarter panel (see images below). It’s believed I’m capable of removing what remains of the panel, but would like some input from those experienced in autobody. To separate panel from bonding strip, I will use a heat gun, 5-in-1 tool and flexible putty knife. Do I want to remove the entire quarter panel? Or, use an air tool and cut the damaged part of the panel - at approximately the black line - (see images below) leaving the undamaged area of the panel on the car? Although I have access to a good used complete rear quarter panel (which with effort will match to the car), should I instead buy a GM Restoration Part (Ecklers)? Do you have any ideas? Any input is invaluable, so lay it on me. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2015, 12:57 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Never done it before so take my advise for what its worth but I think Id remove the old one up to the bonding strips, might be a bit tough to get a nice wheel opening if you cut it right in the middle. Id use the used OEM panel if I had the choice, Id imagine the repro press molded ones are pretty nice but you cant beat OEM for fit. Lastly, looks like you may need a taillight panel and rear valance as well, may not want to remove all the panels at once, you'll lose your point of reference for refitting.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

http://www.glas-ra.com/rearhl1968thru1982.html Worth the price of a copy. Volume One covers front clips.

The AIM will also help. It shows how bodies were assembled at the factory.

My advice would be to replace the right rear fender. You're also going to need a right rear splash shield. You can probably save the fender bonding strip.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 04-21-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Sorry about the damage. There is a CF member who had very similar damage last October. His post thread HERE!

Maybe his thread can help you. I am sure Chris will help guide you too.

John
Old 04-21-2015, 08:27 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Splicing panels should be avoided. Very easy to end up with a visible seam or bump.

Used quarter or quality press-molded are both fine. Strip all the paint off the used panel first to make sure it doesn't hide old sins.

Replacing the quarter isn't that bad of a job. Use an angle grinder with a 40 grit flap wheel to slowly grind down the seam to the deck. Only grind on the quarter until you hit bonding adhesive (leave the bonding strip untouched and attached to the deck). Don't forget the wheel well part that is bonded to the inside of the quarter behind the wheel.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

all corvette body panels are bonded/glued at the seams. Study and learn these locations.
this is where you want to remove the damaged section, and replace the whole quarter panel.
I would suggest replace with another oem used panel. good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Rear Quarter Panel Replacement

Quick Reply: Help with Rear Quarter Panel Replacement