Body parts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 PM
NYJamo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body parts...

Hi All,

I did an intro last week to give you a bit of my story. It looks like the '74 Stingray that I'm trading my '55 Ford Customline for is going to happen. As would be my luck, the 'Vette was hit by a drunk on the front left corner. Insurance will cover the costs, and I'll be having my body & paint guy do the work...I'm taking it as is, along with the ins. settlement check.

So...I'm going to have to get parts for the left front corner (all ahead of the front wheel), front bumper and related mounts, possibly the left headlight assembly. The damage is all cosmetic (at this point). Ins. co said they'd cut another check if damages go beyond the $3200 they sent.

Are there online aftermarket suppliers to avoid? The prices really fluctuate from what I've seen so far, and I'm not looking to have a show car out of this. I do want it to look good though, and we're hoping the new paint can be blended, if not, the whole car will be shot. I read several posts about pressure molded and hand laid up parts, just not sure if it's worth the price. Are there "patch panels" available? Haven't seen them as of yet. I'll try to post a pic of the damages.

Thanks...

Jamo
Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

MAN.......THAT SUCKS!

But it sounds like you will have a good driver when the insurance check is cashed/the body shop is done.

Keep us posted in this thread!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by NYJamo
...I read several posts about pressure molded and hand laid up parts, just not sure if it's worth the price...
All stock body panels were press molded. Hand laid is often cheaper since a press is not required. Choice is up to you.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi j,
You should look at one of the on line catalogues of the vendors that sell fiberglass body panels.
You'll see 'exploded' views of the body. This will help you get an idea of what parts you should be looking for.
Briefly, I'd say the left side fender, the hood surround, and the bumper.
To do this repair properly may be much more involved and difficult than you think.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

It appears this corner already has a LOT of body putty on it already…. from previous damage…. that may have to be dealt with too.

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-21-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:00 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi j,
You should look at one of the on line catalogues of the vendors that sell fiberglass body panels.
You'll see 'exploded' views of the body. This will help you get an idea of what parts you should be looking for.
Briefly, I'd say the left side fender, the hood surround, and the bumper.
To do this repair properly may be much more involved and difficult than you think.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

It appears this corner already has a LOT of body putty on it already…. from previous damage…. that may have to be dealt with too.
I think those pics ARE the exploded view!

Get notified of new replies

To Body parts...

Quick Reply: Body parts...