Sponsored by:

under body fiberglass prep?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:49 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default under body fiberglass prep?

I picked up a '74 and I'm in the process of doing a frame on semi-restoration, not taking the body off. while the trailing arms are off getting overhaued and before I redo the rear suspension parts I am wire wheeling and painting the exposed frame (cherry) and started looking at the underside of the fiberglass floor & wheel wells etc & wondered what can I or should I do to them? I pressure washed them but they look crappy, did they paint the glass or undercoat it originally?
I am not a purist so i don't care about making it "factory" but if I am gonna make the frame look good (semi gloss black) maybe I can do something to the glass too? what have any of you done to the underside of your floors & wheel wells?
I thought about cleaning & prepping it real good & spraying the exposed under-glass flat black and possibly doing the wheel wells with spray on undercoating or bed liner stuff?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

I steam cleaned the underside of my '78. I wire brushed the frame and am in the process of painting that area I can access without diassembling anything. I am going to leave the fiberglass just as it is. I have read in other posts where guys use Lizard skin. Might try a search and see what shows up. As I recall it looked very good.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:23 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I just used some rags- rubber gloves and Professional Grade goof-off- Plus a fan!!! The stuff in the METAL can- the stuff in the plastic spray bottle won't work.

Cleaned it up pretty well- then a brush from Harbor Freight and a drill for the frame-

I had better results w/ this one- only a couple bucks-

Rustolem spray paint
Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My .02: how often are you going to crawl under the car and look at the underbody? Who is going to see it other than you?

The underbody is fiberglass. You can clean it and paint if that's what you want to do.

You should find evidence of factory blackout in the wheel wells and (possibly) appearance areas on the storage compartments.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:21 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
I just used some rags- rubber gloves and Professional Grade goof-off- Plus a fan!!! The stuff in the METAL can- the stuff in the plastic spray bottle won't work.

Cleaned it up pretty well- then a brush from Harbor Freight and a drill for the frame-

I had better results w/ this one- only a couple bucks-

Rustolem spray paint
Whats up with the 2 X 4?
Old 04-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

easymike your right, it is just fiberglass, but I don't own a lift and figured if I'm gonna be under my car cleaning and painting the frame why not just clean the underside floor or paint it, god knows I don't plan on laying on my back like this again. I just hate regrets especially when I could have done something when I had the chance.
maybe I will just paint it & be done with it? thanks guys!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by hicswa
Whats up with the 2 X 4?
It was a mock up from my removable transmission mount- wood is a LOT easier to cut than metal!!!

After I got the fiberglass all nice and clean-I covered it w/ zero clearance heat shielding. I used Lizard Skin on the interior

DSCN4447 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

DSCN4446 by richardhayes454, on Flickr

DSCN4826 by richardhayes454, on Flickr
Old 04-25-2015, 10:50 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Lyndwood
...god knows I don't plan on laying on my back like this again...
I hear that. My creeper and I became the best of friends. Still are, but we get together less frequently these days.

Get notified of new replies

To under body fiberglass prep?

Quick Reply: under body fiberglass prep?