Sponsored by:

Dallas, TX: I need HELP...Starter ear broke off

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 PM
rguillenj
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dallas, TX: I need HELP...Starter ear broke off

Basically, I joined this forum, because I need help. I have a 79 C3 corvette, that the starter mounting ear broke off. I dont know where to go to even start figuring out how to fix it. I know nothing about welding, but different people have mentioned that it isnt IMPOSSIBLe, but I need to find the right place/person

The engine block is on the vehicle, I live in an apartment and can't take it off. Im located in Dallas Tx, a little north of 635

Well the starter ear is broken off, not completely, I can actually still thread the starter mounting bolt up in there (its the most outward starter mount) but it wont hold to turn it over. Its a chevy 350, and I am just stuck stuck stuck.

If anyone knows of a place that can fix this in Dallas, I will tow it to there and be so grateful. Just...ugh.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, my name is Ruben and I literally dream about driving this C3.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:52 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hey Ruben, sorry to hear of your bad luck. Is it possible for you to take some pictures so we can see the extent of the damage? There are some really great folks on the forum from the Lone Star State that may be able to help once they know what's up.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Take out the broken one and install a rebuilt starter.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:23 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Is it the engine block or the starter that's broken? "Up in there" is confusing to me. Make sure that you're using the correct size bolt. A smaller diameter bolt might catch just enough thread to feel as if it fits, but will slip out with any force. If the mounting bolt threads into position, but won't tighten, the threads are probably stripped. You'll need to have a mechanic repair the threads.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:59 AM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

I think he's saying the block is broken, not simply the ear of the starter itself.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:19 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

"The engine block is on the vehicle, I live in an apartment and can't take it off. Im located in Dallas Tx, a little north of 635"

Sometimes you can just hold a flash camera under the car without literally crawling "under it" and take "guessing" pictures until you get some clear ones of the problem area.

Sounds as though you have limited mechanical skills as well as NO place to repair the car.

Forum members need to give you an estimate on what a reasonable repair shop would charge to replace the starter (if that's what has the broken ear).....

Rookie guess......I'd say a new starter including part & labor = $195

Last edited by doorgunner; 05-03-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dallas, TX: I need HELP...Starter ear broke off

Quick Reply: Dallas, TX: I need HELP...Starter ear broke off