Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 corvette for $3000 opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:10 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As i said earlier you just have to have passion and be motivated to do it. This car needs work sure. But hey heres the engine now
Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

Originally Posted by PhilaScott
I'd like to give you advice -- but it's only valuable if you understand and consider it.

The most common personality traits that exists with newbie Vette owners is optimism and lack of budget. I have a 72.. I knew nothing about 72 Vettes prior to owning one. I had the car since 2008 and have taken it to NCRS 2nd Flight. When I bought it, I just wanted to drive it.

Corvettes frames are old to begin with and having them garaged helps slow down the rusting process. A Corvette parked in the open in a field exposed to the elements for god knows how long -- with the wrong front clip and clear engine rust should be a big red warning beacon that says "Car was hit -- that's why the front' clip was replaced. If the car was hit, the frame is probably bent. If the car was so good, it wouldn't be in the field for $2,000.000 or have the wrong parts. No one sells a perfect good "driveable vette for that price". And that should tell you that your plan of just driving it is "optimistic".

I reviewed the pictures in detail. I've looked at over 500 72' vettes. that car is a mess. You have no idea what expenses and issues you are going to run into. Unless you have deep pockets to put that car into SAFE and MECHANICALLY SOUND CONDITION, do not buy it or drive it. Vettes are surrounded in Fiberglass, not Kevlar. You can be seriously injured in an unsafe for the road old car.

My best advice is go lease yourself a car you can afford or buy one -- and when you have the budget to do a restoration -- then you can look at something like that 72. And the car is totally wrong -- so any money in is money not well spent.

Run.
I know this car needs work lol, thats no issue. The car as I said has little to no rust. I have all new brakes for it, steering colomn is coming in the mail. I spent a total of $80 refreshing the engine.
As long as it doesnt have a bunch of rust, starts, stops, turns, we're good. I never said it was a perfect driver. My dads friend needed the car gone because he was storing it on a lot next to his shop and the owner of the lot wanted the cars gone ,he didn't even have a title for the car until we put a lien on it. Thats why the price was so low. My title is coming in the mail as we speak. So everything is sorted out.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thelargechic
I know this car needs work lol, thats no issue. The car as I said has little to no rust. I have all new brakes for it, steering colomn is coming in the mail. I spent a total of $80 refreshing the engine.
As long as it doesnt have a bunch of rust, starts, stops, turns, we're good. I never said it was a perfect driver. My dads friend needed the car gone because he was storing it on a lot next to his shop and the owner of the lot wanted the cars gone ,he didn't even have a title for the car until we put a lien on it. Thats why the price was so low. My title is coming in the mail as we speak. So everything is sorted out.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As i said earlier you just have to have passion and be motivated to do it. This car needs work sure. But hey heres the engine now
Looking good! It is starting to come together.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:27 PM
chucksingh
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good for you, looking 100% better already.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:45 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing I noticed on that engine and you may just have not gotten to it yet is that you don't have the block off plate for the choke heat riser on the intake manifold. You may need to have that otherwise heat from there may be directed up to the rear bowl fuel line directly above it and you don't usually want to heat the fuel up, especially not unevenly from the temperature the front bowl is getting.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
One thing I noticed on that engine and you may just have not gotten to it yet is that you don't have the block off plate for the choke heat riser on the intake manifold. You may need to have that otherwise heat from there may be directed up to the rear bowl fuel line directly above it and you don't usually want to heat the fuel up, especially not unevenly from the temperature the front bowl is getting.
The engine wasn't done in that picture haha. That was about 5 days ago.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:56 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Coming along nicely! Get it driving and stopping safely then worry about the little things. That's how my 75 project is going. The 68 is a whole other beast of a project.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:14 AM
thelargechic
Instructor

Originally Posted by chazde3
Coming along nicely! Get it driving and stopping safely then worry about the little things. That's how my 75 project is going. The 68 is a whole other beast of a project.
Thank you haha! I checked out your 68 it's a nice ride. I also noticed it says Lansing Michigan on the back, half of my family is from Lansing haha.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:18 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Like seeing your progress..good job!
Old 07-11-2015, 04:57 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Please continue to post pics. We love to see progress!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:01 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Thank you haha! I checked out your 68 it's a nice ride. I also noticed it says Lansing Michigan on the back, half of my family is from Lansing haha.
Thank you. We are still in the Lansing area. But haven't lived in Lansing for 30yrs. That will probably get updated when the car gets me paint.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:50 PM
Scarlett-73
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm very glad to see that you've followed your instinct and bought the car. You've had plenty of nay-sayers and folks giving you good advice on this thread. This is actually another life lesson: you'll never please everybody. Do what makes you happiest as long as it doesn't negatively impact those directly around you. Good luck with the car, too bad I'm on the East coast because I'd like to come out and help you!
Old 07-15-2015, 08:21 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 1972 corvette for $3000 opinions?

Keep up the terrific work! Awesome to see her being put back safe for the road.

Later

Lee
Old 07-28-2015, 06:24 AM
thelargechic
Instructor

the engine is turn key time to move onto wiring
Attached Files
Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 AM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

Sounds great..what do you need for wiring?
Old 07-28-2015, 02:04 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

Originally Posted by HT1663WB
Sounds great..what do you need for wiring?
It's not really what I need more along the lines of putting everything back together. The previous owner kind of spliced everything and it's just a huge mess of wires I'm thinking there will be more time into this than into the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 corvette for $3000 opinions?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:59 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I just noticed your thread today, then I saw it's been a few months. I skipped to the end and found you jumped in with both feet. It looks like you're really making good progress! Best wishes and hope to hear about you driving it soon.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds good!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:22 AM
thelargechic
Instructor

Default Update

It's been a very long time since I've made an update on this car. However the good news is everything works perfectly now, runs and drives flawlessly! New brakes,shocks,tires,rims,sway bar,leaf spring, door panels, windshield, exhaust system. Interior is partially out right now due to making all of the interior as best as I can. This Friday through Sunday the car will be at the 60th annual Portland Roadster Show. I'm a senior in high school and was invited to show my car in a high school competition so I'll certainly be there.
The following 3 users liked this post by thelargechic:
KYC4 (03-15-2016), Metalhead140 (03-17-2016), mooncricket (03-18-2016)

Quick Reply: 1972 corvette for $3000 opinions?