Sponsored by:

1972 corvette for $3000 opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:33 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Karsten
Go for it and buy it them...It appear you somehow know more than everyone here that has been there and done that.

When I bought my 1973 it looked great it it was being driven.

It needed everything replaced now go figure a car that has been sitting in a lot for 3-5 years.

Best of luck getting on the road.

Karsten
I don't know more than everyone just more than the person who doesn't value the car and has no inspiration to work on it. I want to learn about my car, not start it and hope it keeps running and if anything ever happens spend thousands to get it fixed by a "professional" if I had the money sure I'd buy a nicer car to start with but I don't have the extra money although I do have a slew of parts from my fathers previous corvettes.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
A c3 is a dead end money pit near impossible to build if a project and if not bone stock worthless...I get it...

Could it be a few are jealous? 16 yo "kid" living his dream making it happen
To me trying and failing is better than not trying at all...

I am making my fiberglass fake replica bumpers for less than 100.00 for all of them,
I will play with some of the killer new chrome paint, I do not care if I can see my reflection in them...I know what I look like,

Keep in mind if perfect show winning ncrs isnt the objective then lots of ways to build a c3 far cheaper "if" the builder does some thinking...I work hard to build for cheap...
If all he does is make it run, he has brakes that will have to be redone. $250 to $400. He probably had mouse filled interior, so it is:
a. replace it for around $1000
b. live with it, using a Rug doctor to clean, and still get sick every few months, not to mention NO girl will ever ride in it.
c. strip it all out, leaving seats only, which probably isn't going to get any girl in there either.

New tires, which means Cobras, BF Goodrich, or almost nothing.

Hopefully the engine will run. But he is about $250 into that if nothing is wrong but the carbs needing rebuilt. But you know sitting on the grassy ground, the clutch is rusted solid to the flywheel. Heck, mine used to do that in this little garage I rented if I left it more than a month. I made sure I always started in neutral just in case.

He has a month of cleaning easily. And then he will have a running fair at best car. But it will be a Corvette.

I know he is worried about "deq" which I don't know what that is but assume it is emissions or EPA stuff for the "green" state of Washington. However, if he rolls up to a C4, he probably will pass that without problems.

Of course, a C4 is nowhere near as cool as a C3.

Jealous? No, just seen too many head down a path that runs right over the edge of a cliff.

I wish him luck, as like most I have found, they aren't really after advice as much as validation that they are doing the right thing. As such, odds are good he is set on buying it and will, regardless of what we tell him.

Basically, we have made the mistakes, and he can cash in on that experience.

But will he?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:56 PM
S**ttersFull
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you are seeing this car.. its $3000 and you came on here wanting to hear "yes" and unwilling to hear "no".

How do I know this? Because I'm 25 and 10 years ago in your position I would refuse to hear no.. these are just old people, I can get buy. If it needs to be fixed I can go the cheap route or just worry about it when the time comes. That's at least how I'd have thought. Heck I still think that way.. I just agreed to purchase a 73 convertible and I'm thinking $7000 into it will bring her back up into shape when deep down I know I could add another $3000-5000 to that estimate easily.

The car is cheap.. $3000
Fully expect to spend another $4000+ just getting it right. Realize this car has likely been sitting for some time and that even though there's no rust issues you will be replacing things constantly like the power steering, or hoses or lights or any number of things that will rot/go bad with time. And chances are you won't have the budget to fix them.

So grab the car, you will be king for a day. Half your school with think you are badass.. but just know it will likely be broken down and towed back to your driveway only to sit for weeks or months until you can afford the bare minimum parts to get it road worthy again.

Speaking from experience as a not so old person. I know what I say won't matter because you are emotionally invested in this now. I know at your age I'd have dodged this advice and have posted "thanks I will consider what you say" when in reality ignoring it because heck.. its a cool car.

Best of luck, don't be impatient and make sure you have an alternate mode of transportation.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
If all he does is make it run, he has brakes that will have to be redone. $250 to $400. He probably had mouse filled interior, so it is:
a. replace it for around $1000
b. live with it, using a Rug doctor to clean, and still get sick every few months, not to mention NO girl will ever ride in it.
c. strip it all out, leaving seats only, which probably isn't going to get any girl in there either.

New tires, which means Cobras, BF Goodrich, or almost nothing.

Hopefully the engine will run. But he is about $250 into that if nothing is wrong but the carbs needing rebuilt. But you know sitting on the grassy ground, the clutch is rusted solid to the flywheel. Heck, mine used to do that in this little garage I rented if I left it more than a month. I made sure I always started in neutral just in case.

He has a month of cleaning easily. And then he will have a running fair at best car. But it will be a Corvette.

I know he is worried about "deq" which I don't know what that is but assume it is emissions or EPA stuff for the "green" state of Washington. However, if he rolls up to a C4, he probably will pass that without problems.

Of course, a C4 is nowhere near as cool as a C3.

Jealous? No, just seen too many head down a path that runs right over the edge of a cliff.

I wish him luck, as like most I have found, they aren't really after advice as much as validation that they are doing the right thing. As such, odds are good he is set on buying it and will, regardless of what we tell him.

Basically, we have made the mistakes, and he can cash in on that experience.

But will he?
I just want a car that I can feel the satisfaction of knowing I brought it back from its previous state. And if I can do that I'll be more happy with my investment. I'll Make it run and drive. I see no issues with that. Restoring it is where you come to the money spending. Interior is fine. A little rough but it's Something Im not going to bother with spending money on. Functionality over form I suppose for this one
Old 05-03-2015, 11:04 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

Originally Posted by S**ttersFull
I think you are seeing this car.. its $3000 and you came on here wanting to hear "yes" and unwilling to hear "no".

How do I know this? Because I'm 25 and 10 years ago in your position I would refuse to hear no.. these are just old people, I can get buy. If it needs to be fixed I can go the cheap route or just worry about it when the time comes. That's at least how I'd have thought. Heck I still think that way.. I just agreed to purchase a 73 convertible and I'm thinking $7000 into it will bring her back up into shape when deep down I know I could add another $3000-5000 to that estimate easily.

The car is cheap.. $3000
Fully expect to spend another $4000+ just getting it right. Realize this car has likely been sitting for some time and that even though there's no rust issues you will be replacing things constantly like the power steering, or hoses or lights or any number of things that will rot/go bad with time. And chances are you won't have the budget to fix them.

So grab the car, you will be king for a day. Half your school with think you are badass.. but just know it will likely be broken down and towed back to your driveway only to sit for weeks or months until you can afford the bare minimum parts to get it road worthy again.

Speaking from experience as a not so old person. I know what I say won't matter because you are emotionally invested in this now. I know at your age I'd have dodged this advice and have posted "thanks I will consider what you say" when in reality ignoring it because heck.. its a cool car.

Best of luck, don't be impatient and make sure you have an alternate mode of transportation.
I suppose you're right I am a but emotionally invested but I will look EVERYTHING I possibly can over before making this my Dailey driver. I realize it will need parts every so often. But most the things it would need I do have. If I didn't have anything for it I honestly would of turned away because I know these cars can get pretty expensive for specific parts. Heck I even have a full interior kit for a 73. Transmissions,engines I have covered. I'll agree with you. I am being bull headed with this but I'd only invest my self into this if I had the stuff to fix it
Old 05-03-2015, 11:11 PM
S**ttersFull
Instructor

I'm sure the car will be fine right now.. in fact most of your issues are likely cosmetic. But realize that after a car's been sitting, it will usually run fine for a couple weeks before all the problems like rotten or cracked hoses, blowing fuses, bad alternator and everything else involved will pop up.

Be prepared to spend $500+ a month keeping this running.. As others have said, spend an extra $4000 and get a car thats GOOD TO GO. However as a young person, I understand you likely do not have $7000-8000 to throw into a car, especially when you can buy this one here and now vs waiting/saving up to $8000. I'm an impatient person myself and forgive me for once again pretending you are anything like me.. but I'm guessing you wouldn't want to wait another year+ to save up that much for a car G2G vs buying this car(having a car) and fixing it up at the same time.

So now that we know you are getting the car..

My best advice is to be patient, take things slow and don't be afraid to ask for help. Mistakes at your age can be a GIFT if you take advantage of them and learn to fix them. This car has a LOT to teach you, and while it will be a costly pain in the butt now(that you will no doubt be cursing the day you purchased it), 10+ years down the road you will be glad you got this fixer upper.

Good luck, keep us posted.

BTW, you have good taste.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:15 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

I'm sure the car will be fine right now.. in fact most of your issues are likely cosmetic. But realize that after a car's been sitting, it will usually run fine for a couple weeks before all the problems like rotten or cracked hoses, blowing fuses, bad alternator and everything else involved will pop up.

Be prepared to spend $500+ a month keeping this running.. As others have said, spend an extra $4000 and get a car thats GOOD TO GO. However as a young person, I understand you likely do not have $7000-8000 to throw into a car, especially when you can buy this one here and now vs waiting/saving up to $8000. I'm an impatient person myself and forgive me for once again pretending you are anything like me.. but I'm guessing you wouldn't want to wait another year+ to save up that much for a car G2G vs buying this car(having a car) and fixing it up at the same time.

So now that we know you are getting the car..

My best advice is to be patient, take things slow and don't be afraid to ask for help. Mistakes at your age can be a GIFT if you take advantage of them and learn to fix them. This car has a LOT to teach you, and while it will be a costly pain in the butt now(that you will no doubt be cursing the day you purchased it), 10+ years down the road you will be glad you got this fixer upper.

Good luck, keep us posted.

BTW, you have good taste.
I'm sure I'll make my mistakes along the way haha. I'll learn from them I can garauntee you that. It'll be a great car none the less. Just trying to save an old C3 from being sucked into the ground.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:37 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The costs are not as hibh as some here are saying if you can do the work yourself. When I was 16 I liked working o my cars as much as driving them. I must say some of those C4s looked nice for the money. And a C4 is a huge upgrade over a C3 except for looks. I agree I would go C3 myself. But I would buy one that's done. And it would sit most of the time. I have a truck for a daily driver and a C6 and C5 for fun driving. But I do want a C3. And I am looking for one. I still do all my own repairs. But I don't enjoy it anymore. I just work as a mechanic in the past and know how often they cover up their mistakes. I don't trust anyone else. I know I will do it right even if it costs more because it's mine.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:37 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

My advice? Listen to your dad. If he has the experience than he knows what you are getting into. 3 grand is pretty cheap, but realize that the missing parts are still going to need replacing. A lot of guys like myself have used parts laying around from our restorations, being as you're looking for a driver quality car, they are perfectly usable.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:39 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
The costs are not as hibh as some here are saying if you can do the work yourself. When I was 16 I liked working o my cars as much as driving them. I must say some of those C4s looked nice for the money. And a C4 is a huge upgrade over a C3 except for looks. I agree I would go C3 myself. But I would buy one that's done. And it would sit most of the time. I have a truck for a daily driver and a C6 and C5 for fun driving. But I do want a C3. And I am looking for one. I still do all my own repairs. But I don't enjoy it anymore. I just work as a mechanic in the past and know how often they cover up their mistakes. I don't trust anyone else. I know I will do it right even if it costs more because it's mine.
I suppose the reason I'm going for this over spending more is making the car mine and really getting to know it
Old 05-03-2015, 11:42 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
My advice? Listen to your dad. If he has the experience than he knows what you are getting into. 3 grand is pretty cheap, but realize that the missing parts are still going to need replacing. A lot of guys like myself have used parts laying around from our restorations, being as you're looking for a driver quality car, they are perfectly usable.
missing parts will be expensive if I don't have them. But that's just how it goes. As long as I have the necessities to make it a dependable driver car thats all I'm after
Old 05-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by thelargechic
I just want a car that I can feel the satisfaction of knowing I brought it back from its previous state. And if I can do that I'll be more happy with my investment. I'll Make it run and drive. I see no issues with that. Restoring it is where you come to the money spending. Interior is fine. A little rough but it's Something Im not going to bother with spending money on. Functionality over form I suppose for this one

It won't be an investment, it will be a boat. Investments and cars is a myth dealers use to get people to buy old cars.

Restoration is where the BIG money is. That doesn't mean just maintaining, or in this case bringing back from the abandon, is cheap. You will spend more money than you thought possible. Keep a notebook or a spreadsheet.

Here is a list of what I see to help you out.

1. Car is sitting in the dirt outside for what, 8 years? tag says 2007 on it.

2. Interior looks like lots of mouse or rat turds. This WILL make you sick. If you cut yourself, GET A TETANUS SHOT IMMEDIATELY!

3. Distinct chance that the main brake line to the rear is rusted badly. This is extremely hard to replace with the body on the frame. But if it splits, you will wreck.

4. Same possibility that the fuel line and fuel return line on the passenger side could be rusted also. About as hard to replace as the brake line, but if rusted out, you have no choice.

5. At this stage, whatever you do, DO NOT lift the body off the frame. But when you do anyway, don't lift more than about 4 inches so you can replace the brake line, because if you take it off completely, this car will not run before 2017 at the earliest. This is known as project creep.

6. The gauge panel is broken. This will create electrical issues without extra ground wires to all places it holds.

7. The radio is missing. Only the GM '68-'76 radio fits. Anything else, you have to cut up the panel to get it in there.

8. Steering column is missing. Do you have it? If not, it is expensive.

9. Do you know where to check for rust? If not, read through this entire forum. Basically behind the floor kick panels, behind the rear door pillars, the frame under the door rear corners, gas tank, windshield frame, t-top frame.

10. Take the entire interior out and scrub the heck out of the inside with hot soapy water. Do it again. And again. Add a little bleach to disinfect.

11. Throw the carpet away in a garbage bag as you don't want to touch it. Use rubber or latex gloves.

12. Wrong radiator is in there so you may overheat. Best to buy a new correct radiator. Of course, the correct brackets to hold it are probably missing.

Remember, because it has a '73 clip on a '72, it will never be worth a lot. It would probably max at $15,000 but you will need a lot of money to get to that level. So don't let your spending get to be more than what you can sell it for.

I doubt you do this, but in case you think you want to, read this about the front clip:

Changing the clip is a real hassle. They don't unbolt. You break the bonding seams, grind the old ones down, and then bond a new '72 clip back on. Everything must be aligned when you glue it down and any mistakes are not easily fixed, but will be very noticeable.

At that point, you will have to repaint. This will be VERY expensive. Figure $2000 in materials alone.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:51 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
It won't be an investment, it will be a boat. Investments and cars is a myth dealers use to get people to buy old cars.

Restoration is where the BIG money is. That doesn't mean just maintaining, or in this case bringing back from the abandon, is cheap. You will spend more money than you thought possible. Keep a notebook or a spreadsheet.

Here is a list of what I see to help you out.

1. Car is sitting in the dirt outside for what, 8 years? tag says 2007 on it.

2. Interior looks like lots of mouse or rat turds. This WILL make you sick. If you cut yourself, GET A TETANUS SHOT IMMEDIATELY!

3. Distinct chance that the main brake line to the rear is rusted badly. This is extremely hard to replace with the body on the frame. But if it splits, you will wreck.

4. Same possibility that the fuel line and fuel return line on the passenger side could be rusted also. About as hard to replace as the brake line, but if rusted out, you have no choice.

5. At this stage, whatever you do, DO NOT lift the body off the frame. But when you do anyway, don't lift more than about 4 inches so you can replace the brake line, because if you take it off completely, this car will not run before 2017 at the earliest. This is known as project creep.

6. The gauge panel is broken. This will create electrical issues without extra ground wires to all places it holds.

7. The radio is missing. Only the GM '68-'76 radio fits. Anything else, you have to cut up the panel to get it in there.

8. Steering column is missing. Do you have it? If not, it is expensive.

9. Do you know where to check for rust? If not, read through this entire forum. Basically behind the floor kick panels, behind the rear door pillars, the frame under the door rear corners, gas tank, windshield frame, t-top frame.

10. Take the entire interior out and scrub the heck out of the inside with hot soapy water. Do it again. And again. Add a little bleach to disinfect.

11. Throw the carpet away in a garbage bag as you don't want to touch it. Use rubber or latex gloves.

12. Wrong radiator is in there so you may overheat. Best to buy a new correct radiator. Of course, the correct brackets to hold it are probably missing.

Remember, because it has a '73 clip on a '72, it will never be worth a lot. It would probably max at $15,000 but you will need a lot of money to get to that level. So don't let your spending get to be more than what you can sell it for.

I doubt you do this, but in case you think you want to, read this about the front clip:

Changing the clip is a real hassle. They don't unbolt. You break the bonding seams, grind the old ones down, and then bond a new '72 clip back on. Everything must be aligned when you glue it down and any mistakes are not easily fixed, but will be very noticeable.

At that point, you will have to repaint. This will be VERY expensive. Figure $2000 in materials alone.

Good luck.
So far I've checked the bird cage and a bit under the rear of the car for rust which there was little to no rust. Seats will come out and be scrubbed. Carpet is unknown as of right now. Radiator on there is an aftermarket one, yes. but it seems to be a fairly good one. Will be updating this post once I get my hands on the cat again next weekend
Old 05-03-2015, 11:54 PM
S**ttersFull
Instructor

As far as paint jobs go, you can rent a compressor and if you have a garage(dirt, pollen, leaves, insects and anything in the air is a drying paint jobs enemy), you can easily paint a car for under $500.

You need to find a good ventilated garage to do it in, proper safety precautions.

Prep prep prep, if you do not scuff and clean the entire surface of the car, the primer and paint wont last long. Sure it will look good for 6 months, then it will bubble and crack and peel everywhere.

But it can be done, its certainly a full 3-4 day project. But you can paint a car at home.
$100 for 2 day compressor rental at home depot(make sure you get the big 20 gallon)
$50 for cleaning/tape/prep products
$200 for the paint/reducer/primer
$150 for good set of spray guns

That's $500 right there. Make sure you research EVERYTHING you do first. Youtube is your friend, check and double check before you just go and read the "easy way". There is no easy way to repaint a car. It's work.

Again, cant stress this enough. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated room with all safety precautions and PREP correctly.

So a $2000-5000 paint job can easily be avoided. It won't be "collector" grade. But it will look good, and I'd imagine thats what you're going for.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:56 PM
thelargechic
Instructor

As far as paint jobs go, you can rent a compressor and if you have a garage(dirt, pollen, leaves, insects and anything in the air is a drying paint jobs enemy), you can easily paint a car for under $500.

You need to find a good ventilated garage to do it in, proper safety precautions.

Prep prep prep, if you do not scuff and clean the entire surface of the car, the primer and paint wont last long. Sure it will look good for 6 months, then it will bubble and crack and peel everywhere.

But it can be done, its certainly a full 3-4 day project. But you can paint a car at home.
$100 for 2 day compressor rental at home depot(make sure you get the big 20 gallon)
$50 for cleaning/tape/prep products
$200 for the paint/reducer/primer
$150 for good set of spray guns

That's $500 right there. Make sure you research EVERYTHING you do first. Youtube is your friend, check and double check before you just go and read the "easy way". There is no easy way to repaint a car. It's work.

Again, cant stress this enough. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated room with all safety precautions and PREP correctly.

So a $2000-5000 paint job can easily be avoided. It won't be "collector" grade. But it will look good, and I'd imagine thats what you're going for.
My dad did body and paint for several years haha. So if I wanted a new paint job I'm golden
Old 05-03-2015, 11:59 PM
GaToy
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by thelargechic
I just want a car that I can feel the satisfaction of knowing I brought it back from its previous state. And if I can do that I'll be more happy with my investment.
I'm sort of in the same boat. I bought my '76 for $2600. The car is going to take a lot of work. I am replacing the vacuum system for the lights and though she runs good I'm having trouble getting it to stop. The car is an L48 with ac, power widows, brakes and steering. The car was originally red with black interior. it's an automatic with original motor and tranny. Perfect this car could only fetch around $20,000. But I'm not trying to restore it. Instead I'm building the car I want. Once sanded down I will paint it hot rod flatz metal blue. Then I'm redoing the interior in buckskin. And I will have done this all myself. I won't one of the people who just paid more for the car and drove it. I will actually be able to sit down and talk about how frustrating it was to get this apart or that I found out this comes apart before this does. Yes sometimes you end up spending more on a cheaper car. But what you walk away with is experience and knowledge that is priceless.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

PC, with all due respect, many modern radios such as retrosound fit the stock instrument console cluster. Im in the process of wrapping up my interior now. Been there. Carpet, I have a brand new set that came with my car when I bought it, wrong color of course, a light tan, so Ill be selling it dirt cheap. Rarely was a 16 yr olds car a perfect restoration project. More times than not, it was a car just like what the kid is looking at. I can post pics of several of my high school projects. They werent perfect either.
I remember picking bike frames, and wheel sets from the trash to build my first stingray bike. My dad had bought me an "english racer". How uncool was that for a elementary school kid. Anyway, thats how I roll. Sounds like the kid does too.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 corvette for $3000 opinions?

Old 05-04-2015, 12:03 AM
thelargechic
Instructor

Originally Posted by GaToy
I'm sort of in the same boat. I bought my '76 for $2600. The car is going to take a lot of work. I am replacing the vacuum system for the lights and though she runs good I'm having trouble getting it to stop. The car is an L48 with ac, power widows, brakes and steering. The car was originally red with black interior. it's an automatic with original motor and tranny. Perfect this car could only fetch around $20,000. But I'm not trying to restore it. Instead I'm building the car I want. Once sanded down I will paint it hot rod flatz metal blue. Then I'm redoing the interior in buckskin. And I will have done this all myself. I won't one of the people who just paid more for the car and drove it. I will actually be able to sit down and talk about how frustrating it was to get this apart or that I found out this comes apart before this does. Yes sometimes you end up spending more on a cheaper car. But what you walk away with is experience and knowledge that is priceless.
Exactly! The knowledge is something you can't get by paying for a car thats all done for you.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
PC, with all due respect, many modern radios such as retrosound fit the stock instrument console cluster. Im in the process of wrapping up my interior now. Been there. Carpet, I have a brand new set that came with my car when I bought it, wrong color of course, a light tan, so Ill be selling it dirt cheap. Rarely was a 16 yr olds car a perfect restoration project. More times than not, it was a car just like what the kid is looking at. I can post pics of several of my high school projects. They werent perfect either.
I remember picking bike frames, and wheel sets from the trash to build my first stingray bike. My dad had bought me an "english racer". How uncool was that for a elementary school kid. Anyway, thats how I roll. Sounds like the kid does too.
Sounds like my younger days as well. And this car is from that time period. If this is something he wants to do the advantage is things were more simple back then. Can you imagine a young guy in 40 years trying to do this with a C6? I am glad to see their are still young guys who want to do something like this. If he is going to do this I hope it works out for him. It need not be a car that would make us old guys happy. Just a car that makes him happy. I do agree he needs to clean the interior up so it wont make him sick. But that is just work. He can do that. Big Lots sells auto carpet cheap that will make it better than it is now. And he may be happy with that. He can get aftermarket seat covers on he bay for a decent price. He is not going for original. Some of those sellers make them to fit most cars. Cheap carpet and cheap seat covers will make it much nicer. And contrary to what an earlier poster said girls his age would ride in it. They dont care that its not all stock. As long as its clean they are kids too. Young girls do like Corvettes. They just dont want to ride in one with one of us old guys unless they are related to us. I would have loved that car when I was his age. Just make sure the brakes and suspension are safe. You dont want to crash an old plastic car.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:17 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

It`s funny to sit here and read this thread. Every time a noob comes on and says he`s debating on buying a "project", there`s a slew of wet blankets thrown onto the fire. I say GO FOR IT! This car you`re looking at is not a project.... I know what a project looks like. THESE are some of mine....

It sounds like the kid knows what he wants, knows what he can do, and how to get to where he wants to be. If his dad is also into cars, I`m sure he`s seen enough to realize what he`s getting into. For 3 grand, he`s buying a WHOLE lot more than what I got to start with. And I agree with him.... ANYBODY can just go out and buy a car, if they have the money. But not everybody can BUILD a car!
Now, all that worthless junk I just posted above, want to see it now? It`s just time and money.... and a lot of love!

Quick Reply: 1972 corvette for $3000 opinions?