Sponsored by:

problems with control valve steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 04:07 AM
felpudiano
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problems with control valve steering

Hello, i am MArtin from Spain and I am a happy owner of a corvette 1972. I am sorry for my poor english. I have a clicking noise in the control valve when i turn the steering wheel, even with the engine off. I have no idea what the reason, but the noise seems to be within the valve

Someone could tell me what could be the reason and possible solution?

level steering fluid is correct ( dexron III)

here a video

thank you guys
Old 05-06-2015, 09:26 AM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The rod with the centering adjustment nut is "jumping" in and out when you turn the wheel. Why it is doing that I don't know but someone here will. It's not supposed to be doing that and I suspect rebuilding will be the cure.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Same here,....

Same here, my old control valve was clicking too on my 68, when I reinstalled it a few days ago after rebuilding the front end.

I gave it several shots of chassis grease through the zerk grease fitting and it stopped the click when turning the steering wheel, so maybe it is fixed for the moment.

I suspect the ball on the stem arm has a worn spot so maybe it will need to be rebuilt in the future. For now though, I will run it like this. I do not know how miles are on mine.

Yours looks all new though, so surprised to see this. I would grease it and see how it does for a while and then check it later. Also something in the whole steering linkage could be in some kind of bind and I would check that at that time too.

Yours may not have been properly greased when rebuilt? Also, do not forget there is a dust cap that presses in over the control valve adjustment nut. The dust cap looks like a medium sized coin.

Hope this helps and nice looking front end parts, good luck!

Last edited by 20mercury; 05-06-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:58 AM
felpudiano
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks!, the control valve seems new, but simply cleaned and painted and changed the hoses.I think is properly greased, but i am going to review it again, and the steering column.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:12 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The zerk is not to be used. It is there for factory assembly and greasing at that zerk can easily blow the seals, ask me how I know. Many valves just have a plug in them now so you aren't tempted to lube there.

Get notified of new replies

To problems with control valve steering

Quick Reply: problems with control valve steering