Sponsored by:

Pulling motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Boatguy24
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling motor

Ok so I am trying to pull the 383 stroker that is in my 74 corvette. I have the cherry picker and the engine stand. I have been trying to find a place that has the steps and equipment needed to complete this. Also I am unsure of where the anchor points are on the engine to do this are.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:04 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I used bolts in the ends of the heads to attach the chains to lift mine. If you are pulling transmission too you will want at leveler. As far as steps you can use a Chilton book for basic process. I spent a little time looking at what had to come loose or off and just started working my through it. Bag and label the bolts, id wires and other items you disconnect. Taking pictures or things before disassembly comes in handy. The key to taking it apart is removing bolts. The secret to putting it back together is knowing where those bolts are and where they go.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:46 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

any chiltons manual for a chevy RWD has the procedure. there should be lift eye straps on the motor from the factory, kitty-corner from each other for lifting. you can also just use strong bolts, or they make a plate you screw onto the intake in place of the carb.

high level overview;
take off hood, remove radiator, fan, etc.
remove accessories, starter, alt, etc.
remove hoses, wiring, trans lines, etc.
unbolt flywheel from trans
unbolt trans from engine
jack under trans to hold it
unbolt motor mounts, not from block, just the long bolt connecing the two. 5/8 I think but don't quote me on that...

lift and pull...

hints:
long 3' extention helps to get trans bolts to block from behind underheath if you can't reach from top with a wrench. 9/16 and swivel.

tq cvtr bolts are super duper tight, 11/16 I believe.
flywheel turner helps.

3pc set of craftsman prybars helps to pry away and maneuver the motor from the trans.

don't jack the trans much, just enough to hold it.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:10 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gungatim
any chiltons manual for a chevy RWD has the procedure. there should be lift eye straps on the motor from the factory, kitty-corner from each other for lifting. you can also just use strong bolts, or they make a plate you screw onto the intake in place of the carb.

high level overview;
unbolt trans from engine
unbolt motor mounts, not from block, just the long bolt connecing the two. 5/8 I think but don't quote me on that...

lift and pull...

hints:
long 3' extention helps to get trans bolts to block from behind underheath if you can't reach from top with a wrench. 9/16 and swivel.

flywheel turner helps.

3pc set of craftsman prybars helps to pry away and maneuver the motor from the trans.

Good advice right there. Simple and lays it all out.

Later,

Lee
Old 05-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Boatguy24
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gungatim

high level overview;
unbolt trans from engine

lift and pull...

hints:

flywheel turner helps.

I didn't have any luck locating those lift eye straps on the engine I'm assuming they would be on the block itself. It's a crate motor so maybe they don't have one? With that plate work for a 383 stroker?
Old 05-07-2015, 02:13 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

lots of guys leave the lift eyes off. you can go grab some from a junkyard, or just bolt the chain right to the corners of the heads with strong bolts. the lifting plate is aftermarket and bolts to the carb mount.

here is an example on ebay, but any parts shop carries them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331540283537?lpid=82&chn=ps
I forgot the step to remove exhaust/manifolds, but you'd figure that out anyway...
Old 05-07-2015, 04:26 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 541 Posts

You might also have to pull it from the side of the car, not the front as in most engine pulls. Depends on how long the cherry picker is.

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling motor

Quick Reply: Pulling motor