Sponsored by:

My "somewhat of a" restoration / mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:35 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is project is coming along great!
Just an observation, and you probably already thought about it, but the top rear of the front fenders where they transition into the door look like they need a little help so the line will flow better.
Keep up the good work.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:13 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 74modified
This is project is coming along great!
Just an observation, and you probably already thought about it, but the top rear of the front fenders where they transition into the door look like they need a little help so the line will flow better.
Keep up the good work.
They do. I've been fighting with hanging the doors just right. The car had horrible gaps when I got it. I think the passenger side had over a 1/4 inch gap at the top. I actually ground the depth of the glass down on the top of the fender and laid in strips do extend it out and close the gaps in. I actually left very tight gaps on the passenger side and will massage it right. I gotten up in the middle of the night to go look at it and think about it... It bothers me that much. I think it needs one of the upper door hinge shims taken out now that the gaps are tighter and pull the door in more. Going to wait for paint when the doors come back off to get er done.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:45 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Cant paint with the expanded rivets in the front causing bumps in the glass. Oh well, it was rusted anyway. Why do I get the feeling this is about to turn into a "May as well just pull the body real quick"??

Old 07-06-2015, 11:04 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Smooth sailing on the bar and rivets removal.

The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (04-21-2017)
Old 07-07-2015, 06:48 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

We have the luxury of witnessing your transition thru a series of photos..but we know the hard work you've been putting in.
Great job!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:56 AM
rajin cajin
Pro

Front bar blaster and painted along with one front light.

Front bar glued in.

One down and one to go.
MISTERZ06 (04-21-2017)
Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Lookin' good!
Old 07-20-2015, 01:37 AM
rajin cajin
Pro

Waiting for 2 light bezels and a light adjustment kit to finish the passenger side light, but its coming along. So much nicer with the rust all gone.

sirleo (07-29-2022)
Old 07-20-2015, 09:05 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Man this project took on a life of its own!
Looking really good and am looking forward to seeing the car when it's finished.
Oh wait. They are never finished.
sirleo (07-29-2022)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:23 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Headlight adjustment repair kit was supposed to be in today but no luck. Managed to get the front pretty much back together though. Pop up covers were a real PITA to get adjusted. Found a good use for some old ARP header bolts. Thought about going old school vintage racer look with bumper delete. I think the header bolts would be a pretty cool old school look.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:55 PM
indianriverbound
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man RC...and I thought I had a project...looks great!!!! In doing mine I can appreciate the amount of work you are pouring into this. Few questions....the double fan on the rad....did you do this due to an overheating problem and did it solve the problem? Reason I ask is mine overheats a bit when I run at high speeds. Also, what type of manual tranny did you install? Again, really a jaw dropping piece of work...good job!!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 08:14 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Originally Posted by indianriverbound
Man RC...and I thought I had a project...looks great!!!! In doing mine I can appreciate the amount of work you are pouring into this. Few questions....the double fan on the rad....did you do this due to an overheating problem and did it solve the problem? Reason I ask is mine overheats a bit when I run at high speeds. Also, what type of manual tranny did you install? Again, really a jaw dropping piece of work...good job!!!!
Thanks. Never really overheated. Just deleted the belt driven fan and shroud so put in the fans. It was over 100 degrees here the other day in south Louisiana/Mississippi. Hottest since 1985 I think. Did it in anticipation of overheating down the road. But then again, I put in an after market aluminum racing radiator, deleted the auto transmission, deleted the AC, deleted the power steering (only power brakes now). Taken hundreds of pounds off by deleting the non-essential stuff. I let it sit running at idle in the driveway for 30 minutes and no problems what so ever. Keeping my fingers crossed. This is basically going to be a stripped down street brawler with no creature comforts (including girlfriend) for cruises and events. I managed to pick up a M21 kit from a local low mile big block car that was wrecked for $1200.00 including everything (tranny, bell house, brackets, pedals, shifter and so forth).
Only had to put new clutch and flywheel since running a small block. Was going to delete bumpers and go the vintage racer look (shed a few more pounds) but didn't want to buy the Daytona lights so might look at what's available in glass bumper wise. The place I got the flared fenders from has a front fiberglass bumper I know of so far. Post some pics of yours as I'm always looking for inspiration.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM
indianriverbound
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RC...look at my thread " 76 project in pics" and you will see mine. I also added the wide meats on the back but was afraid I was not skilled enough to glass in a quarter panel so I decided to go with the prefab flares....still they were an ill fit at best and needed a lot of massaging to get right. It is my first try at bodywork and paint. I opted for the 295-15.5-15s on the back. I have the fiberglass bumper in the front but it is like a skin....mostly steel underneath so the amount of weight savings may not be worth the loss of a nice chrome bumper...still I understand you wanting to shed every pound you can
Old 07-22-2015, 11:17 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Originally Posted by indianriverbound
RC...look at my thread " 76 project in pics" and you will see mine. I also added the wide meats on the back but was afraid I was not skilled enough to glass in a quarter panel so I decided to go with the prefab flares....still they were an ill fit at best and needed a lot of massaging to get right. It is my first try at bodywork and paint. I opted for the 295-15.5-15s on the back. I have the fiberglass bumper in the front but it is like a skin....mostly steel underneath so the amount of weight savings may not be worth the loss of a nice chrome bumper...still I understand you wanting to shed every pound you can
Yep. Again, I love that color. I was thinking about a color called molten red metallic from duplicolor. But that color you have is tempting. I think the full panels is easier than the flare. It was not bad at all. Ill paint last as i would hate to screw up a nice paint job while working on suspension or other project. Looks like grey primer for a while. I still have a good bit of finish work on the body anyway. Hopefully then move on to suspension. Had to get primed to avoid grease on bare glass
I stripped the entire body with razor blades. I don't even want to guess how many hours I have in strippin more less hanging fenders and glassing in the bonding seams (easiest part of all) I have a whole new respect for paint and body men. I would much rathere mechanical work. Can't wait to get Into the suspension. Having a blast with a sand blasting cabinet bringin these 40 year old Parts back to life.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:41 AM
rajin cajin
Pro

I moved to be closer to work, so the car was stored for about 6 months. The rear had some damage in the glass, so more fiberglass work was in order. Probably ruffle some feathers, but I glassed in the front fender gills. Nothing original on the car anyway. Finally got color on this past weekend also. Duplicolor performance red. Just need to compound, polish and wax.

Last edited by rajin cajin; 05-18-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:20 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

It's looking good!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Great job!

Get notified of new replies

To My "somewhat of a" restoration / mod

Old 05-18-2016, 10:16 AM
73BBVette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What a great job you've done.......can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:35 PM
76C3forme
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Very Nice. Looking good.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:45 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Looks good! Where did you get those '68-'69 side gills? I want to covert my '71 like that too.

Quick Reply: My "somewhat of a" restoration / mod