C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just sliced thru my radio antenna cable. Help with finding a connector.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 PM
tomdoc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just sliced thru my radio antenna cable. Help with finding a connector.

I just accidentaly sliced thru my newly installed antenna cable while trimming the carpeting. Does anybody know of a coaxial connector I can buy to reconect it? I know I can repaire it by splicing it but would rather find a crimp style coaxial connector. The problem is that these cables are smaller diameter then regulat TV coaxial cable. I couldn't find a smaller size for this coax cable at Radio Shack. I'll need 2 female and one straight threaded male to connect the two cut ends back together. Anybody know where to look or a part number for one?? Thanks, Tom.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:11 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

I get my electronics parts from Parts Express (google their website). They have it all.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:38 AM
tomdoc
Instructor

Thanks C3. I Looked at their website bud didn't see what I need. The search continues.....
Old 05-23-2015, 10:14 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I'd recommend just buying an entire new cable. To cut, splice, crimp co-axial cables, I think you need some tools/crimpers that are very expensive.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:36 PM
tomdoc
Instructor

An entire new cable means buying an entire new antenna and removing the already installed antenna and cable. It's quite a bit of work. I have to remove the drivers side seat, pull back the carpeting and if I can't get to the rear of the stereo to plug in the new cable I'll have to remove the gauge cluster. Then getting the new antenna up and into the left rear quarter panel is a frustrating act as well. Granted a new antenna is only about $40 or $50. It would be a lot easier to spend $25. to buy a crimping tool and and a connector. Where I accidentally sliced the cable and need to make the repair is very accessible. The sad part of this is I just installed the new antenna and cable a few weeks ago !! Ugghh...
Old 05-25-2015, 01:50 AM
jyounane
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Tom,

If you are comfortable soldering, just strip back the insulation, unravel the braid a little and twist together on each end. then solder the centers together and braids together. Insulate it all with tape and it should be OK.

While not strictly the best way to do the repair, it will certainly work and it won't take you long to try it out.

Joe
Old 05-25-2015, 09:14 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jyounane
Hi Tom,

If you are comfortable soldering, just strip back the insulation, unravel the braid a little and twist together on each end. then solder the centers together and braids together. Insulate it all with tape and it should be OK.

Joe
This is not an easy fix...but maybe the only alternative. Instead of tape try heat shrink tubing if possible. Coax cables require connectors to maintain proper impedance as you said, but for this application its not that critical.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:27 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

since that is antennae coax, the proper fix is to use new connectors, not twist and tape/solder. what I would do, is go cut the end off the old antennae cable, or hit a junk yard and cut an end off, and cut off the female pig tale from another radio, de-solder the two pieces, and properly solder them on the cut ends of the new cable you sliced through. you will then essentially have two cables, one being a sort of "extension cord", but will not compromise the signal of the antennae.

if don't want to do that, you could get by going to a truck stop and getting a male and female connectors for cb radio cable and use those to get by.

Get notified of new replies

To Just sliced thru my radio antenna cable. Help with finding a connector.

Quick Reply: Just sliced thru my radio antenna cable. Help with finding a connector.