Sponsored by:

How important is speed and horsepower to you guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 04:54 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I get it but a person can get in trouble with just about anything if they try....
I thought you were a big track rat?
Trouble is where you find it.

However near to the RR corner of the envelope I might eventually develop my shark (finances pending), I don't intend going so far as to make it un-streetable. Besides, at the end of the day it's just a toy and I shouldn't kid myself for a moment that doing the occasional trackday could ever compare with my having raced real racecars anyway...

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 05-24-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:59 AM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
My car is not ugly
No, it certainly isn't. So what if some guys like the old C3's better? Doesn't change what your C7 is: a gorgeous state of the art expensive supercar. Have lots of fun owning it. I would.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:04 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I have always loved fast cars even though most of the time I'm only cruising. I like to jump on the car at least once every time I drive it. My 68 is a big block. I have a C6 Z06 which is plenty fast. I put a stroker 383 in my otherwise stock 61. I like the Vettes from all generations. The newer C6 and C7 Z06's are terrific cars. There are places to go fast safely. I enjoy driving a back country road with some nice twisties. I also enjoy a nice on ramp to a highway.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:47 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

At 38 yrs old, I'm a HP/speed junky still. Strong straight line performance is very important to me...even on my daily drivers.. I like to race everything I own at the track and play around some on the street. I don't have to be the fastest, but I like to have respectable performance by today's standards. I do like the original appearance of factory cars, but I don't give 2 $hits about date codes, chalk marks, production numbers and all that other NCRS crap.

These cars are meant to be driven and have fun with. Also very important to me is reliability, streetability and even some twisty road action. My cars must be fast, reliable and USEABLE...

As I get older and more in depth into larger builds, I do find myself leaning more towards lower HP cars for their simplicity and longetivity.

Get in em, drive em, race em, road trip em, show them....everything about classic cars I love.... And they have to have some power!

My dad has 3 mid years, two 327/350hp cars and a 65' 396/425hp (actually makes 450hp) and the 65' 396 car is the only one I really care to drive.... The others are too slow, too mild and kind of boring to me...

I guess I'll never "grow up".

Last edited by ajrothm; 05-25-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
but I don't give 2 $hits about date codes, chalk marks, production numbers and all that other NCRS crap.
Sounds like you are a bit angry. Did somebody put you or your cars down? No need to be referring to what other forum members are doing as crap. I joined the NCRS to find out more about how the cars were built. After one regional meet and a couple of years, I let my membership expire...figured out I don't fit in with that crowd. I don't care about chalk marks and paint daubs, but I do care about keeping the car as close to original as possible. My motto is like a doctor's oath; if you can't cure the patient, then do no harm. Every dollar that I spend is to improve it's condition and reliability. It gives me all the thrills that I need...just in 1st and 2nd gear. I also have more interests and hobbies than just cars.

It is really great that your father provided you with such an intense interest in hot-rodding. I grew up in the '60s, my first car was a used '66 GTO that I paid for by pumping gas and working in a service garage. I made one trip down the strip in my older brother's SS/F tri power '66 Olds 442...in a 4-car drag at Minnesota Dragways. First off the line but came in dead last. Life changed for me and many others in '68 with this thing called the draft. Be thankful you are "growing up" when and how you are.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:08 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

My car is not ugly

Just my opinion though.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:11 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by 80Baby
I used to own a motorcycle. Doing the speed limit on the highway was plenty fast for me. I just enjoyed the experience of riding a bike. A Corvette is the same. Horsepower is okay. It's nice to have a car that will push you back into the seat little bit more than the family SUV. The grandkids love it. But Speed? I know that car can go fast, but let's face it, after spending all that money and investing over 6 years of my life restoring the car, I just want to enjoy driving it, not abusing it.
AMEN brother !
Old 05-25-2015, 10:44 PM
hail to R3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/QUOTE]

I like it, is that a chrome wrap?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:07 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by hail to R3
I like it, is that a chrome wrap?[/QUOTE]

No it may just Be the light reflection. Color is called shark gray.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:11 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Lots of interesting comments here. A corvette is Americas sports car. 1 question, what saved the corvette from extinction? The small block V8. Why? Who wants a weenie engine in a sports car.
Some guys here are perfectly happy with the stock performance of the smog choked latter C3 350's. Some guys build the heck out of them. I'm a performance guy, so I fall in the middle. Even if I never explore it's full potential, yeah right, I have more than I need on tap. Because I can.
Have fun guys, whatever your flavor.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

I gotta have some darn decent performance out of the engine (and suspension) for several reasons.

1) I don't like something that looks fast/racy, but isn't.

2) I run a lot of (road course) track days, and I don't like being in the back of the pack.

3) I don't like the crappy antique suspension and cast iron in a stock C3 Corvette. I used to have a '55 Chevy 2door hard top. Loved the looks of that thing, but every time I drove it all I could think about was how crappy those old cars rode and handled. I can't deal with having that same driving experience in my Corvette.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Correct I do not own a c3. Just a c7
Thought not.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:40 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I love the look of my 80, and compared to most cars you see on the road I think it has real class. Curves everywhere, and that old school deep rumble that just turns heads.

There is a right combination for me, and I think a car that looks like it's doing 60 mph while parked,...should have the umph to back it up. I feel that grin coming on when I pull onto the highway and goose it to about 75 mph in second, then drop it into drive and let off like it took no effort to get to that speed. The car can do 140 mph, but I don't have to prove it every time I get behind the wheel. The Escalade I drive has 400 horsepower,...and the vette feels like a jet on takeoff in comparison.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:56 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
At 38 yrs old, I'm a HP/speed junky still. Strong straight line performance is very important to me...even on my daily drivers.. I like to race everything I own at the track and play around some on the street. I don't have to be the fastest, but I like to have respectable performance by today's standards. I do like the original appearance of factory cars, but I don't give 2 $hits about date codes, chalk marks, production numbers and all that other NCRS crap.

These cars are meant to be driven and have fun with. Also very important to me is reliability, streetability and even some twisty road action. My cars must be fast, reliable and USEABLE...

As I get older and more in depth into larger builds, I do find myself leaning more towards lower HP cars for their simplicity and longetivity.

Get in em, drive em, race em, road trip em, show them....everything about classic cars I love.... And they have to have some power!

My dad has 3 mid years, two 327/350hp cars and a 65' 396/425hp (actually makes 450hp) and the 65' 396 car is the only one I really care to drive.... The others are too slow, too mild and kind of boring to me...

I guess I'll never "grow up".
Same here.

I HAVE to have good HP. My CNC Motorsport 415 Dart SBC makes 550 hp, and I sometimes wish I had another 100 hp. But the car is a blast to drive and I get comments at traffic lights every time I drive it.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:03 PM
UCVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my .02¢ worth, but i grew up driving a 1987 4 cylinder Toyota Pickup, while all my friends drove Camaros and IROCs (we left the Mustangs to the pretty boys). I was so envious of those guys but due to the fact I had to work 20 hours a week while in high school, I couldnt afford a fast car. Fast Forward 25 years and I got 1978 Corvette. Needless to say, I was disappointed with the speed/hp. In my mind I had built up how a V8 was to run. But we all know that due to all the constraints, 200 hp was nothing. So, I pulled that motor and so far have put in about $7000 worth into a new motor. Let me tell you, it makes me so very happy to just start it up and listen to it run. I am planning on going down to the track in about 2-3 weeks and see what the car and I can do. I don't expect to break any records, but it will be nice to go fast for a change. So, you ask how important HP and speed are, it is important to me. I want to feel how it feels to step on the gas and let the tires spin. As far as too fast for the road, my 1987 Toyota would get up to 110mph (I tried that when I was 17). It took a while to get there but that was plenty fast. Any thing can be too fast if you don't know how to drive.

Compared to just owning and cruising in the car you love? I know you guys probably hate my car it's a 2015 C7 Z51 A8 but this is my 5th Corvette and I love Corvettes ever since my dad owned one when I was a little kid. Sometimes I get caught up in this car has more power or this car is faster and lose sight of the true joy of ownership. I have a buddy on my block with a C3 and he can care less about the speed he just loves the car. Just curious how many other guys feel this way ?

I was contenplating a supercharger but my car already feels too fast for the street so while the numbers may look good on paper it may be pointless.

Quick Reply: How important is speed and horsepower to you guys